“Relaxing Excellence”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lower Beeding
Wokingham, United Kingdom
“Relaxing Excellence”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

From arrival to departure, professional, friendly helpful staff in a superb relaxing hotel with wonderful food. South Lodge made our family break get away truly fantastic. Plus many tips for the local area. The gardens are worth an explore with many bright colours and walks between the trees and lakes. Not forgetting the hammocks.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Darren D,

Thank you for your lovely review.

It is terrific to read your arrival set the tone for your stay; relaxing, friendly, and ultimately fantastic.

I am pleased the team were on hand to ensure you and your family were well looked after and could recommend some of the wonderful activities and things to see and do in Sussex.

The grounds are looking marvellous at the minute. I would well advise a walk around our Victorian kitchen garden, lakes, over 200 species of azealas, rhododentron (including the largest in the UK!) and camellia as well as the 2nd largest rockery in the country. After a wander around the grounds what better way to relax than in one of our hammocks?

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
Peaslake, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

We booked a two night stay at South Lodge over the Easter weekend, to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The weekend included one night at the Pass and one night at Camelia resturants.
We arrived and checking in was prompt where we were taken to our room, which was excellent, situated at the front of the new wing of the hotel. There was a very large well appointed bathroom and huge bedroom area, with all the bells and whistles.
The first night we were at the Camelia restaurant and had the Masterchef tasting menu, which was a great experience and service was first class. The second night we dined in the Pass, taking the eight course tasting menu, with English sparkling wine etc and was again excellent.
It is second time we have stayed and this was great way to celebrate our anniversary. Really enjoyed, will be back I am sure.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Mark P,

Happy anniversary and thank you for returning to us at South Lodge to celebrate.

We do like to think of ourselves as a foodie paradise, so I am thrilled you had the opportunity to experience both of our restaurants. The Camellia, home of MasterChef winner Steven Edwards serves dishes using seasonal and local produce with Steven’s unique technique and creativity. Matt Gillan, Head Chef of The Pass, holds a Michelin Star and 4 AA rosettes. The restaurant is located in the very heart of the kitchen, a quite unique and atmospheric environment.

I am delighted the welcome was special and the bedroom exceeded your expectations.

The team and I look forward to seeing you again.

All the best,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I booked 5 rooms for my family to celebrate my 50th at South Lodge. It was a complete success and the perfect experience for all the family.

From the moment I arrived early to make sure the rooms were all charged to me, and to ensure the dining at the restaurant with the Pro Masterchef winner was suitably arranged including the choice of champagne at the table to start proceedings, the staff took complete control and worked with me to ensure everything was perfect.

Nothing was too much trouble, including the lounge staff arranging a table for 12 people in the lounge earlier than expected, so that we had a place to relax whilst our room was being prepared (as I said, we had arrived early) which we held until well after 5 pm as my family arrived, kicked off celebrations and retired to their rooms to prepare for dinner.

Dinner was superb, catering for all palettes from vegetarian to a good selection of meats and fish. The serving staff were efficient, very personable and very observant, making sure all requirements were catered for.

The table for us all was prepared at breakfast also, to allow us to be together whatever time each party arrived from the exceptional evening before. (We had kept the bar and lounge staff occupied until the small hours without the hint of a relaxing of the high quality service)

The rooms are beautifully fitted out, and the suites are a wonderful oasis of calm and state of the art technology if that is what you enjoy.

My partner and I are already looking to return, as she also had a great time, having her every whim attended to.

Full marks to the hotel team in ALL areas. A truly memorable weekend for all of my family.

Room Tip: All rooms are good but if you want that little extra, go for at least a junior suite.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Laurence N,

Thank you for your super review and many happy returns for your birthday.

It is a real delight for the team and I to read that you and your party had such a magnificent stay. The team are always on hand to ensure our guests don’t have to lift a finger. I am pleased they demonstrated excellent attention to detail and ensured you didn’t want for anything.

We are all so proud of Steven Edwards’ achievements on MasterChef. He and the team are delighted dinner was such a success.

We all very much look forward to seeing you again.

With very best wishes,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

A sense of caring team spirit, with all staff contributing towards a great experience throughout the duration of our stay. Our room was divine and the South Lodge grounds and public areas are as always maintained to the highest standard. Throw in a truly memorable dinner at the Pass and South Lodge kick started our honeymoon in superb style!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
MarkSurguy, Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Ian S,

Thank you for your terrific review.

Many many congratulations on your wedding and we all do hope you have enjoyed your honeymoon? I am delighted South Lodge was the perfect start to your celebrations. It is wonderful to read the team were on hand at every stage of your stay, you enjoyed your bedroom, and dinner in The Pass was memorable.

I do hope we will see you again before too long.

Broxbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Just back from a two night stay at South Lodge Hotel, playing golf at Mannings Heath. The hotel is first class, with attentive staff, great rooms and the foods fantastic. Couldn't fault it. We didnt have time to watch TV, but i am sure everything worked fine

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear LondonSpike,

Thank you for your super review.

The team and I are thrilled you had an enjoyable time with us. Mannings Heath Golf Club, our sister property, is just around the corner so we are the perfect base for a spot of golf, great food and 5 star service.

Mannings Heath features two course, The Waterfall course is rated as one of the very best in the UK.

It would be a pleasure for the team and I to welcome you back in the future.

London
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We had a night at this stunning establishment on a Sunday, with an evening meal and breakfast. We checked-in early afternoon to the most warmest of welcomes from the reception staff. Our suite was picture perfect, loaded with technology and the most comfortable bed, pillows and linen. So peaceful too - a good sleep was had. The food, well – where can I start. Totally amazing! A relaxed but vibrant atmosphere, all clearly centred around food – ideal for us foodies. Reasonably priced too. An extensive wine list with well priced quality vinos. And if you’re feeling indulgent for the finer or more sought after stuff, they have an amazing self service wine cellar where you can buy by the sip!!! A fab idea for those of us not wanting to spend zillions on a bottle, but have always yearned a tipple. After dinner, we found a deck chair on the grassed terrace, enjoyed a few more glasses under a calm and clear starred sky – the stuff dreams are made of. In all, a beautiful venue, location and atmosphere. We are fortunate to have traveled the globe and stopped at many of the worlds leading hotel brands – this scores extremely highly, especially as it retains all the features of a boutique establishment, remaining beautifully unique as a result. My only negative? Leaving! But I’ll be back. As a last observation, we’re a same sex couple – some places can over or under compensate leaving you feel slightly out of sorts – I can honestly say that The South Lodge Hotel was the most comfortable we’ve ever felt. Keep up the good work, can’t thank you enough for making an eleven year anniversary celebration one that I wanted to write about and share!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Eddieseld,

Thank for your marvellous review and a very happy anniversary!
I am delighted the welcome from our Guest Services team set the tone for your visit and once you were shown to your suite you were not disappointed.

We do like to think of ourselves as the perfect location for a foodie with two stunning restaurants as well as afternoon tea and all day dining in the bar, lounges and terrace. Our restored Victorian wine cellar is a treat too. We refer to the automatic wine dispenser as our ‘adult venting machine’ and it is understandable once our guests have had a sample!

We were all sorry to see you leave as well however I do hope we will see you again in the future.

All the best,

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed in April as wife had secured a cracking 'dinner, bed & breakfast' winter deal. We've stayed many times over the years, also had 'exclusive use' of the hotel years ago when we got married here.
But this time it felt that all was not well. Beautiful building & grounds, as normal, but I felt that the hotel didn't really know who it was trying to appeal to - business people / couples / families / romance... And whilst trying to hit all sectors it didn't hit any particularly well.
There was a family with children there - and they all looked exceedingly uncomfortable, especially when their small children made the slightest noise.
But the biggest downside for me was this - all the staff looked exceptionally unhappy and miserable. Not one smiled - at all. They didn't make eye contact and they never greeted you first. Really very strange - it didn't make for a welcoming experience at all.
We ate in the Camellia as we figured the Pass would be too fancy for our tastes - but in truth it was just as fancy - small portions of arty-farty food - couldn't tell what half of it was, either. Wish we'd eaten at the bar and just had a club sandwich.... And the atmosphere in the restaurant is horrid - all low lighting (ie, dim) and everyone whispering - not enjoyable at all.
Nice room, decent (huge) shower (once I'd figured out how it worked).
All in all it saddens me to moan about this place - it used to be idyllic - but now it really needs a shake up and to figure out what it's trying to be and who it's trying to appeal to.
Shame.

Oh - and hurry up and build a spa - you desperately need one to compete with the likes of Pennyhill Park, Lucknam Park etcetc.

Room Tip: Look out for the deals, especially the winter ones. Standard rate card is far too expensive and the...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David S
Dear David S,

Thank you for your review.

Although it is heartening to read you have been to South Lodge many times in the past, including holding your wedding here, and many aspects of your most recent stay were positive, I am sorry that overall it was a disappointment.

In my two years at South Lodge I have not once received feedback relating to the team here as unhappy, or they failed to smile and greet guests. The team are very much our greatest asset and as a hotel we encourage a positive environment where the team are engaged and enabled to deliver memorable experiences to our guests. Please accept my apologies if this was not the case on your visit.

I am sorry too if the food in the Camellia restaurant was not to your tastes. You can be rest assured it is a pleasure for the team and I to welcome many different guests to South Lodge. Based on the feedback I receive through speaking to guests, the team, as well as through 3rd parties such as Tripadvisor, satisfaction is high.

I would be delighted to discuss your thoughts in more detail, please do contact me at South Lodge. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back where I am sure we will have the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

Best wishes,

The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa
Bailiffscourt Hotel
Bailiffscourt Hotel
#1 of 1 in Climping

Been to South Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!