South Lodge Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Cisswood House(Lower Beeding)
1,733 results
All reviewscamellia restaurantsouth downspass restaurantjunior suiteafternoon teapillow menuspecial occasioncakebeautiful hotelfirst classsandwicheswalk in showertake homewine cellardrawing roomout of this worldhuge bathroom
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Very helpful staff. Beautiful surroundings. Comfortable beds. However, NO AIR CONDITIONING, which is a disgrace and I cannot believe the hotel sells itself so high without what is really a basic in most hotels. Also the corridors are very noisy as the doors lead straight into the bedroom, so lots of chatter and door banging. The wifi needs upgrading as is very hit and miss; cutting out constantly. Have ticked 'poor' for cleanliness as there was a lot of dust and other peoples snacks behind one of the units.... but bathroom very clean.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SurreyGuest
MarkSurguy, Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear SurreyGuest,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay.

I am sorry your bedroom was without air conditioning. Many of our rooms do feature air conditioning so it is disappointing you did not make this request at the booking stage or indeed notify us during your stay as we would have been delighted to offer you an alternative bedroom.
That said I am pleased the team were on hand to ensure you did not need to lift a finger and you enjoyed our lovely surrounding.

We hope to see you again.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I booked a room here with a meal at The Pass for a birthday surprise for my husband. I was delighted when we arrived to be offered a free upgrade to a suite which was a gorgeous room with a fabulous view.
The meal in The Pass was truly amazing. A tasting menu of 12 courses which were all delicious. The service at breakfast was a little slow and we had to send our toast back as it was just warm bread (untoasted toast is a definite no no for me ! ) the waitress was lovely and dealt with our moaning with good humour !
I'd definitely recommend this hotel. Lovely atmosphere and wonderful surroundings.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Debbie B

Dear Debbie B,

Thank you for joining us at South Lodge and for describing our surroundings and food as lovely. It is fabulous for the team and I to read your husband enjoyed his birthday celebrations.

Dinner in The Pass sounds just fantastic. Chef Matt Gillan’s Michelin starred tasting menus are a gastronomic dream. Coupled with its unique environment in the heart of the kitchen The Pass experience is a memorable one.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the future.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I recently stayed for 4 nights at South Lodge for a family wedding. The rooms are magnificent, very well appointed and extremely large. Our room was split level with the bedroom and sitting room one one level and the walk-in shower and bathroom on the lower level. The only drawback is that there is no air conditioning and we happened to be staying over a sustained period of warm weather so the room was very warm indeed. The hotel provided fans (and then some more fans) on request but it was quite difficult to get the room cooled down to any great extent. This made sleeping a little uncomfortable. However, that said, it was the only drawback to an otherwise fantastic stay. The staff were attentive, friendly but unobtrusive from first thing in the morning until the wee small hours. Standards were maintained even at 5am following a long night of wedding celebrations. Vasco deserves a special mention here for providing a first-class service with great humour; a real credit to the hotel. The food throughout our stay was excellent. The breakfast was plentiful and freshly prepared through to the superb wedding reception meal and supper. We also had use of the Bothy, where some family stayed and for hosting a family barbeque, and this was a real 'home from home' for our family and friends. The grounds were great to explore although it was just as good sitting out on the terrace enjoying the view with a cold drink. I was genuinely disappointed to be leaving - what a fantastic place. I look forward to returning very soon.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear mikey_sara,

Thank you so much for your kind words following your stay at South Lodge. We are all elated that you had a marvellous stay and described us as ‘top-notch’.

I am delighted you enjoyed your marvellous bedroom. Many of our bedrooms do feature air conditioning. Please do discuss this on booking with our excellent reservations team.

It is lovely to read that throughout your four nights with us the team were attentive and friendly and you were able to explore our extensive grounds, including our lakes, Victorian kitchen garden, the 2nd largest rockery in the UK as well as an unrivalled collection of rhododendron, azalea and Camellia plants.

The team and I really do hope to welcome you back on your next visit.

All the very best,

Reviewed 9 July 2014

we had sunday afternoon tea outside, lovely views and the tea and co. were superb
we stayed just one night but enjoyed every bit of it, even the towel warmer in the bathroom was a surprise.... Great place, classic but with a well done modern touch, the combination really works!
Very friendly staff and very clean, spacious room.

Room Tip: we had a room "at the back" so we could enjoy the lovely view, there is a old and new part, can't compare, but we stayed at the old, original part which was super.....
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Denise V,

Thank you for your charming review. The team and I really are thrilled to read your kind words and learn of your super stay.

Afternoon tea on our terraces overlooking our 93 acres of lakes and rolling parkland and South Downs sounds like a lovely treat. I am pleased your bedroom was everything you could have wished for and the team were on hand throughout your stay.

It would be a pleasure for us all here at South Lodge to welcome you back.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 8 July 2014

My partner and I stayed here overnight and wished it had been for longer. The stay, from personal greeting on arrival, valet parking, bags taken to room, excellent service and great dining was a refreshing change. Our room was the "Rothschild" and the facilities, decor and little touches were second to none.
We shall certainly stay again next we are down south.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Mark C,

Thank you for staying and South Lodge and for taking the time to post your wonderful review.
Your stay sounds marvellous from the minute you entered our grounds. I always feel the warmest of welcomes sets the tone for a guest’s stay and I am pleased this was true on your visit. It is a pity you only had one night with us but it is pleasing you were able to enjoy a fabulous dinner as well as your lovely bedroom as well as great service from the team.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to your Sussex home when you are next in the South East.

All the best,