“The Pass 1 - The Hotel 0”
Review of South Lodge Hotel

South Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lower Beeding
Croydon, United Kingdom
“The Pass 1 - The Hotel 0”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

please see my other review on The Pass restaurant that was really great - I feel the hotel for the location and cost lacked certain important elements, the Bar staff very polite and very helpful but understaffed and very slow. We had a very nice suite with a large and well fitted bathroom inc a TV in the wall, very nice beds and pillow and we slept well, nice well appointed furniture, flat screen TV and Bose sound system - BUT no air con just a tall floor fan and a flood in the bathroom has caused bad damage to the carpet in the bedroom - these 2 items badly let this hotel down for the money that we paid - it was nice, clean and comfy but not cutting edge :-( our breakfast was nice but arrived 15 minutes late to our room and no News Paper as ordered - we are however due to return in December for evening meal and a room for the night so who knows !

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Stuart A A
MarkSurguy, Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Stuart A A,

Thank you for your review following your stay at South Lodge.

It is lovely to read that so many aspects of your stay were positive. The Pass is indeed a wonderful experience and I am delighted that was a highlight. It is fabulous too to learn the team were friendly and helpful and your bedroom was well appointed. Many of our bedrooms do feature air conditioning and I am pleased to report the carpet in your bedroom is being replaced in the first week of August following recent staining. Please accept my apologies for the slow service in the bar as well as your breakfast being delivered late.

I am confident that at the time of your next visit we will have the opportunity to fully restore your faith in South Lodge hospitality. With that in mind, we all very much look forward to welcoming you back in December.

With very best wishes,

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Our third visit--this hotel is what being pampered is all about!
Staff are friendly and helpful and so well trained. You are made to feel at home as soon as you enter.
Rooms are lovely, food is wonderful-but expect to pay top prices for drinks &c-this is not a cheap place, but absolutely lovely.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back suffer from early morning noise-the bin men turn up at 0530, followed by the bottl...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank GerryKent
Dear GerryKent,

Thank you for returning to us again and for taking the time to post your lovely words.

I it a delight for the team here to welcome back a familiar face and to ensure you are pampered and wanted for nothing.

We all very much look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kindest regards,

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

My friend took me here for the lunch in the pass restaurant. All I can say is if you have ever watched a cookery show like masterchef and you here them talk about what the food does to them - I would definitely say do it! I've never been so emotionally taken with food in my entire life!
Best part of the five course meal we had was the pork belly with quinoa and pistachio. Would never in my entire life would put the two together but wow! Chef! You played a blinder! Best pork belly I've ever had! Lemon posset for dessert was amazing and the trout?! Lost for words. Reasonably priced £35 each for 5 course and this was just lunch. There is a 3 and 7 course and optional cheese menu. Go please!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Catherine C
Dear Catherine C,

Thank you for joining us in The Pass and bestowing 5 stars!

It is lovely to read your experience meant so much to you. As you rightly say, Matt Gillan’s Michelin starred dining is a fantastic combination of flavours and textures delivered through a variety of tasting menus. Combined with the excitement of the kitchen service and the interaction with the chefs it is an experience not to miss.

Matt, Tommaso and the team look forward to seeing you again.

All the best,

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We've spent two nights in South Lodge Hotel and were upgraded to one of the "Butterfly" rooms on the second floor in the new addition. The room was lovely and the bathroom massive. Beds and pillows excellent - had a really good sleep both nights!

The hotel grounds are massive and it's nice to explore them. I've also had a nice jog around country lanes. My partner wanted to use the gym but was disappointed that, while located in a new building away from the main building (also housing the staff accommodation), there are no locker rooms, let alone any wellness facilities such as sauna, steamroom or similar. For a hotel of this category, one would expect more.

What disappointed us the most, however, was breakfast. Not only was the service only just okay (they started clearing up the buffet suddenly without any warning), the taste of the food was very low level - my partner would have sworn that the cooked "Full English" he had was pre-cooked and reheated.

We had dinner at "The Pass", the hotel's Michelin Star restaurant, and were very impressed.

To summarize: Great location to explore the South, nice rooms, great Gourmet restaurant, bad breakfast, could do better with regards to gym and wellness.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ralf H
Dear Ralf H,

Thank you for your wonderful review following your stay at South Lodge.

The team and I are delighted you had a pleasurable stay and you found your junior suite to be relaxing and you had all the space you needed to relax. Your dinner in our Michelin starred Pass restaurant sounds memorable and I am pleased you were able to walk off all that excess in our charming grounds.

I am pleased to say we do have a spa in our plans for the future. I am sorry if breakfast was just ‘okay’. I have shared your comments with the team and I am confident you will have a different experience on your next visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back to your Sussex home before too long.

Kindest regards,

Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I arranged for a party of 6 to have Sunday lunch.
From start to finish the staff were courteous and helpful without being intrusive.
The food was delicious and slight modifications for one of my guests were done without any fuss.
We were seated at a round table in a secluded area overlooking the grounds which could not have been bettered.
Certainly 5 stars.

Room Tip: Only had lunch
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ACM700
MarkSurguy, Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear ACM700,

Thank you for your lovely words following lunch. Thank you too for being the 500th reviewer to award us 5 stars!

The team and I are delighted Sunday lunch was so memorable. It is lovely to read the food was delicious and the service was excellent from the Camellia team. Our Head Chef, Steven Edwards, the current MasterChef the Professionals winner, serves his take on local and seasonal dishes from the lovely restaurant overlooking our grounds and South Downs.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Best wishes,

Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

If you are looking for luxury, first class service and a warm welcome, then you cannot go far wrong with South Lodge. From the moment we arrived we felt at home and our stay was simply amazing. The food and cellar extrodinary. I will most definately be returning.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the lower ground floor most of these have thier own private gardens... breakfast al...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kevin B
Dear Kevin B,

Thank you for describing your stay as ‘amazing’. The team and I are thrilled you enjoyed it!
We have a variety of rooms and suites, from our main house rooms, with Downton Abbey charm through to our suites in the Sussex Wing which include features such as Jacuzzi baths, balcony’s, and even a hot tub! I am pleased you enjoyed your room with its very own private garden.

It is fabulous to hear you will be returning. We hope it will be before too long.

With very best wishes,

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Probably the best hotel I've ever been to. Located in an old castle with very old decor makes your stay unforgettable. Great atmosphere. Everything on the very high standard. Very tasty food. Really good selection of drinks. My room had a huge bathroom with giant shower and a TV in a bath (as you can see on the video). I loved any single corrner of the building as well as amazing gardens at the back. If you want to relax in calm atmosphere this is the right place! Highly recommended!!!
You can have a look inside here: http://youtu.be/ZLoy3nRpOlA

Room Tip: Ask for a room with TV in the bathroom ;)
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Adam D
Dear Adam D,

Thank you for your kind words following your stay and for taking the time to post your video too.
The hotel was built in the 1880’s as a private home by Fredrick du Cane Godman, a noted botanist. As such not only do we have a beautiful and atmospheric house, we also have 93 acres of ground packed with noted species of rhododendron, azalea and camellia.

Your bedroom looks fabulous, with its own TV above the bath and lovely views over the South Downs.

All the best,

The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa
Bailiffscourt Hotel
Bailiffscourt Hotel
#1 of 1 in Climping

Been to South Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!