“WONDERFUL”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lower Beeding
Battle, United Kingdom
“WONDERFUL”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel, and I wish I could stay longer. The staff were really friendly, the room was amazing, the bathroom well what can i say apart from HUGE, and the food was fantastic.
The view from our room were outstanding, being able to see the South Downs.
There are 3 walks you can do around the grounds, which they provide you with a map.
If I get the chance again, I wouldn't have any issues with staying at this hotel.

Thank you South Lodge for a wonderful night stay.

Room Tip: Call the hotel and I'm sure they will be happy to show you around before you decide to book
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
MarkSurguy, Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear Roger W,

Thank you for your charming review and very kind words.

The team and I were delighted to read you loved your bedroom and the splendid views, the fantastic food, and to learn you were so well looked after by the team.

Although you were unable to stay any longer I do hope you will have the opportunity to return before too long.

Warmest regards,

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Me and my Husband stayed here for a two night break, we was in a suite on the ground floor for the first night and the godman suite for the second night.

When we arrived we was greated with such helpful staff, the check in went smoothly and the rooms were outstanding, clean and certainly have the wow factor!!!

Our first night we ate in the camellia resturant and it was fantastic the food was amazing and services was great. Was a wonderful night.

Our second night we ate in The Pass the staff was very helpful, friendly and made the experience wonderful and well what can I say about the food the chefs were top class and it all tasted divine.........

A ************* for a first class hotel and a wonderful set of memories I would def recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: All rooms were great but the Godman suite was divine !!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leanne C
Dear Leanne C,

Thank you for joining us for a two night break and for describing us as having the ‘Wow’ factor!

We like to think of ourselves as a foodie destination. I am delighted in this respect we exceeded your expectations. The Camellia serves a contemporary interpretation of local and seasonal dishes. Our Michelin starred Pass restaurant is set in the most unique environment within the kitchens and serves contemporary tasting menus.

The Godman suite is indeed an indulgent treat. With its very own hot tub it is a relaxing and romantic hideaway.

We hope to see you again to relive the special memories you hold. We all look forward to welcoming you then.

Kindest regards,

Guildford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Attended a wedding reception here and stayed overnight. Beautiful hotel and amazing grounds and views. Food was just superb - particularly the quinoa starter which was exquisite. Staff very friendly and helpful. Only negatives -Drinks on the terrace the next day overpriced and no air conditioning on the room.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Victoria E,

Thank you for your lovely review. It means a lot to us all at South Lodge for you to describe your time with us as ‘wonderful’.

The original house was built by Fredrick DuCane Godman in the 1880s. it is indeed a beautiful hotel set in the most splendid surroundings. I am delighted you enjoyed your meal with us was memorable and the team looked after you so well.

Many of our rooms do feature air conditioning. Please just let the reservations team know and we would be delighted to find the best room for you.

We very much look forward to seeing you again in the future.

All the best,

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We checked in at 15.00 this Saturday. The bedroom facilities were amazing, loved the multi shower. The food and service were absolutely incredible. The Hotel is in a beautiful location. I would love to come back again. It was a memorable stay.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Gettin,

Thank you for staying with us and for your kind words. We are delighted the wedding was a success.

It is lovely for you to describe the food and service as incredible as well as the hotel being set in a fantastic and beautiful location.

It would be a pleasure for the team here to welcome you back in the future too.

All the best,

London
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Let me preface this review by saying that I had selected this hotel because I wanted to visit the wine cellar and experience a sommelier-led tour for the simple reason that I was going to the hotel with a couple of friends who are wine experts and wanted to surprise them. Had it not been for the cellar I would never have chosen South Lodge as it is over 70 miles from where I live. I booked six months in advance and was pleased to hear that all that I wanted was available, ie rooms, tables at both the Cammelia restaurant and The Pass and a tour of the wine cellar which was to start our three days stay.

One week before we were due to arrive at the hotel I checked with reservation that everything was in order as I had not had written confirmation of the wine cellar tour. To my dismay I was told by the reservation manager who dealt with my booking that the sommelier was sick and therefore we could visit the cellar and use the wine dispensing machines instead. She did apologise for not getting in touch with me but as I was assured that the visit to the cellar would go ahead I held my disappointment in check.

However, we arrived at the hotel only to find out that the visit to the cellar was not an option as the machines were out of order. I was very disappointed by the way this incident was handled by the hotel’s staff both from reservation and at reception as they did not seem to try very hard to suggest a suitable alternative.

There are other issues I need to point out as well, such as the slow/ poor service of the staff both at breakfast, lunch and in the bar, e.g. at breakfast when we asked for the nth time when could we expect our coffee was we were told by the waitress "I don't know they are very busy in the kitchen". Also annoying is the lack of wifi in the rooms (even though wifi is advertised as part of the facilities we found that it was only available on the ground floor) and the questionable quality of some of the food, I think it is not unreasonable to expect dressing with a salad and when I asked for some dressing I was made to wait so long that in the end I went to get it myself. I am not sure how they can justify charging an additional 10/12% on drinks for the type of service they offer.

The only saving grace was The Pass restaurant which seems to run efficiently and offer superb food. Unfortunately this only reiterates the poor quality of service found in the rest of the hotel. I will not go there again and would certainly not recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel have a great view of the South Downs
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank JanusLondon
MarkSurguy, Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear JanusLondon,

The team and I are sorry you did not enjoy your visit.

Please accept my apologies for the problems with the cellar. Sadly, due to sickness our sommelier was unavailable and a fault with our EnoRound machine meant our unique wine dispense machine was out of order. It is incredibly disappointing that these two incidents happened concurrently and I can understand your frustration in having joined us specifically to enjoy this feature of South Lodge.

I am sorry you did not feel the incident with the cellar was handled sufficiently. I believe I spoke to your partner on your arrival and I feel it is wide of the mark to suggest we did not try hard. I explained to him that both an engineer from EnoMatic (the machines manufactures) and from our IT company had been called out to fix the machine. In addition, I offered complementary fizz with your lunch and the offer of an unguided wine tasting as well as local vineyard suggestions. I left these options with your partner and although I understand you enjoyed a local vineyard visit you did not take me up on the offer of an unguided tasting.

I am sorry you experienced other issues regarding service whilst staying with us. I will be sure to share your feedback with the team here. I am sorry you were unable to connect to the WiFi. WiFi is available throughout all public rooms and bedrooms so I am unsure why you were unable to connect.

It is a pity to learn you will not be returning. You do have my contact details and I would be delighted to handle your reservation and welcome you back if you did ever have a return in mind. I am sure it would allow us the opportunity to restore your faith in our hospitality.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

My friends took me here for my 30th birthday. We sat outside and enjoyed the stunning views of the gardens. We are from the Camellia menu and all I can say is WOW!! I am pregnant and have dairy allergies and the staff couldn't have been more accommodating. It was lovely to eat out and not worry about dairy being in anything, without having to check. I was offered dairy free alternatives of everything. So impressed. The food was full if flavour and more than enough to fill a hungry pregnant lady ; )
Such a stunning enjoyable day. Can't wait to return and try The Pass restaurant which I have also heard great things about.

Stayed July 2014
Dear PennyDanny36,

A very happy birthday! Thank you for joining us in The Camellia restaurant and taking the time to post your review.
We have a number of menu’s available from vegetarians to gluten free diners. I am pleased we were able to offer you such a lovely meal. The Camellia is just lovely at this time of year with the al fresco terrace and stunning views over our grounds and the distant South Downs.

You must try The Pass next time you are visiting. We all look forward to seeing you then.

With very best wishes,

Horsham Uk
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I have stayed here twice and been to three Christmas parties here.

The junior suites at around £300 a night are outstanding, if you have a choice of new wing or old wing I would recommend the New wing as the showers are amazing.

Only negatives, the hotel doesn't have a swimming pool or spa yet, You also need to book the pass restaurant in advance, due to its star rating the pass gets booked up.

Room Tip: Junior suite in new wing.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
MarkSurguy, Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Mewife3kids,

Thank you for your kind words and your recommendations.

We are so fortunate here to have a fantastic selection of bedrooms. Our main house and stable rooms are full of Downton Abbey charm. Alternately, many guests adore our Sussex Wing and their junior suites. All individually designed, they have fantastic features such as private gardens, balconies, fantastic bathrooms and even their own hot tub!

I would certainly recommend booking lunch, dinner or afternoon tea with us to avoid any potential disappointment.

All the very best,

The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa
Bailiffscourt Hotel
Bailiffscourt Hotel
#1 of 1 in Climping

Been to South Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!