“Par excellance”
Review of South Lodge Hotel

South Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lower Beeding
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Stayed there as part of my boss's golf party along with approx 60 others and what a wonderful time we experienced. A very different kind of hotel in the sense of its location, quality and service.

Every staff member interacted with you whilst passing and it makes such a difference. Nothing seem to be a problem. I happened to meet the Operations Manager and can see where all the staff get their personalties. The food, both breakfast and the dinner along with the golf was just exceptional. I would certainly go back if in the area.

well done one and all.Keep it up.

Room Tip: Every room is different but try getting one facing the garden
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Showst3r
MarkSurguy, Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Showst3r,

Thank you for your kind words following you stay. It is so very kind of you to praise our quality of service and the fabulous team here. I am delighted the food and golf were exceptional. It was a pleasure to have had the opportunity to have met you.

Please do come and visit again in the future.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

My partner booked this as a surprise 21st birthday present for me. We had the best suite ( I can't remember the name now) with an outside hot tub. we had an amazing view across the 98 acres of land and it was stunning. The attention to detail is incredible, the bathroom and shower was also amazing! The bed was the comfiest nights sleep since I can remember too. The hotel preparing the room for night time whilst we were at dinner was an excellent touch. They tidied up for us too! This is a stunning place and the service is impeccable. We also had afternoon tea and ate in the Masterchef restuarant. The evening meal was incredible. Afternoon tea wasn't anything special or worth the money - especially as the waitress forgot our jam and cream for the scones! We didn't see her again for a while so we just ate them without - but that's my only complaint. This hotel is undoubtably 5 star, especially for service.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sarah R,

Happy birthday and thank you for your super review.

The Godman Suite is truly spectacular. Certainly its most revered feature is its balcony and hot tub. What better way to indulge than with a glass of bubbles whilst enjoying the Jacuzzi?

Steven Edwards, our MasterChef winning head chef of The Camellia specialises in local and seasonal dishes with a modern twist. I am delighted you found dinner to be ‘incredible’.

The team and I look forward to seeing you again before too long.

All the best,

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Had a lovely lunch at south lodge yesterday lunchtime with my son and dad. We were celebrating my sons 21st and my dads 80th. The staff were attentive and welcoming. The food was exceptional as was the wine. We have visited many times and have never been disappointed.

If you are looking for a lovely venue for a special occasion look no further than south lodge it is a wonderful experience.

Can't wait to return perhaps for my birthday,

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear debbie p,

The team and I are thrilled you were able to join us for two very important celebrations! We are all delighted your visit was memorable and you have taken the time to review us so positively.

It is fabulous to read the team looked after you and your party so well and you found the food and wine to be exceptional.

Thank you so much for recommending us so highly. It will be a pleasure to welcome you back soon.

All best wishes,

Reviewed 21 August 2014

We always stay at South Lodge for our wedding anniversary. The staff are very attentive, polite and warmly welcoming. Dinner in the Camelia restaurant was excellent and breakfast in our room was perfect for the occasion. The views from the south facing rooms are second to none with the South Downs a timeless reminder of the how beautiful Sussex is.

We feel very welcome at South Lodge and value it's traditional values and tailored customer service.

Room Tip: Ask for a south facing room. If not Smithy is a wonderfully romantic suite.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Nicholas A,

Thank you for your wonderful review following your stay with us and a very happy anniversary!

All of us at South Lodge were delighted to read your review and to discover your stay was a special one. The Camellia serves traditional and seasonal dishes with a modern twist all set in our lovely wood panelled restaurant with those wonderful views over the South Downs. Sussex is indeed a beautiful county! And what better way to indulgence in the five star elegance of South Lodge than with breakfast delivered to the room.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back before too long.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 20 August 2014

From all the reviews this is clearly a top rated hotel, and they charge eye watering prices to match. In many ways our 2 night stay was very good, so how can they commit such howlers at breakfast? It can only be arrogance in the Kitchen, and perhaps the waiting staff are too cowed to point out the obvious. On our second morning 2 unacceptable things happened at breakfast.
First the coffee was truly awful, so bad in fact we ordered a second pot. Equally bad, and I realised for the first time just how apt the term "Dishwater" can be.
Second, my companion who is a vegetarian ordered eggs, tomatoes and mushrooms. Note the use of the plural form, as used on the actual menu. Imagine our surprise, bordering on grim hilarity, to be served a single egg, and a tiny half tomato on the smallest field mushroom known to man, about 1 1/2 inches across. Served on a huge white plate! We were so nonplussed we didn't complain there and then. I only wished we had.
The room was excellent, and had a garden terrace outside. The latter was scruffy , poorly planted and maintained, with a hose stretching across it for the whole of our stay. If we had had time to sit out and enjoy it I doubt if we would have. I and my companion both know about gardens and gardening and this was poor to average. I very much doubt if the Hotel employs anyone with true gardening skills, beyond grass cutting and hedging.
I am not sure if I will stay at this hotel again. The problems I have raised, which should not happen at these prices, are enough for me to search out and alternative.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WWonderboy

Dear davidmussell,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your stay with us.

I am pleased there were many aspects of your stay that were positive, such as your bedroom, and you felt that overall your stay was very good. That said, I am sorry the stay did not exceed your expectations as we let ourselves down in a couple of areas. I was very disappointed to read your comments regarding breakfast. You can be rest assured we have re-trained the team.

Our head gardener and his team have many years experience in managing some of the finest gardens in Sussex. You will be pleased to hear work to the private gardens in ongoing and indeed we have carried out improvements even since your stay last week.

If you do have a future stay in mind please do not hesitate to contact me here at South Lodge. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back and restore your faith in our hospitality.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed for one night as a belated Wedding Anniversary treat for my wife and, of course, me. Superb room, a wonderful panoramic scene over the gardens and lake and breath-taking views of the South Downs (also viewed in luxury from the sumptuous double bed). During our stay we booked for the Pass Restaurant and enjoyed a wonderful full flavour gourmet experience that is every bit as pleasing as the Michelin star promised. The staff both in the restaurant and general hotel are attentive when needed but never obtrusive. I thoroughly recommend this hotel, if you want luxury without pomp, efficiency without worry and peace with tranquillity stay here. its hard to beat.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Keith M,

A very happy anniversary! I am pleased your stay exceeded expectations and you were able to share your views with the TripAdvisor community.

Your bedroom sounds just perfect with its fabulous views over the gardens, lakes, and distant South Downs.

The Pass is not to be missed. Set in the very heart of the kitchen, the theatre and Michelin starred food is a wonderful and breathtaking mix.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back before too long.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We initially booked to go and eat at the Camelia restaurant at South Lodge, we all thoroughly enjoyed our meal, the service was impeccable.
We then decided to book high tea as part of our son's wedding celebrations so that both grandmothers could come and enjoy a traditional English high tea. We were given the centre table in the lounge over looking the grounds, a perfect setting if ever there was one. The tea and the service were as good as anyone could get, nothing was too much trouble for our host, she was attentive and extremely helpful and friendly. The food was exceptional with beautiful sandwiches and cakes. They catered for one of our party who is gluten intolerant and again, nothing was too much for them.
I can't recommend this establishment highly enough, our next visit will be to eat at The Pass restaurant.

Thank you to all at South Lodge, you made our sons wedding celebrations so very memorable x

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear peter s,

Thank you for joining us afternoon tea to celebrate you son’s wedding. It is lovely to learn we were able to play just a small part in making the wedding so memorable.

Afternoon tea is a fabulous treat at South Lodge. Either al fresco on our terraces or in one of our charming public rooms overlooking the South Downs the location and atmosphere could not be bettered. I am so pleased the team were attentive, friendly and helpful and the food was excellent.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back soon – The Pass is an experience not to be missed!

All the very best,

The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa
Bailiffscourt Hotel
Bailiffscourt Hotel
#1 of 1 in Climping

Been to South Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!