South Lodge Hotel
    US$79
    Great 4.5/5
    US$82
    1,733 results
    All reviewscamellia restaurantsouth downspass restaurantjunior suiteafternoon teapillow menuspecial occasioncakebeautiful hotelfirst classsandwicheswalk in showertake homewine cellardrawing roomout of this worldhuge bathroom
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 31 August 2014

We had a 2 night stay this week and wish it had been longer. The ambience is great - calm and relaxing, but with lots of attentive and professional staff at hand if required. We loved our room with the large TV and very comfortable bed (the choice of pillows available is a nice touch). The bathroom was fabulous. Breakfast was very good indeed with food of the best quality. We would love to return at a later date.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
    MarkSurguy, Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2014

Dear GSmithSurrey,

Thank you for your lovely review and for recommending us so highly.

I am delighted you found the atmosphere in the hotel to be calm and relaxing as well as the team on hand to cater to all your needs. I am pleased your bedroom was fabulous and you were able to take advantage of the pillow menu to ensure the most restful of sleeps.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the future where perhaps you will have the opportunity to stay a little longer.

With very best wishes,

Reviewed 29 August 2014

It is rare for my wife to say that she would really like to return to a hotel - and we've visited a lot in our 45 years together - but she would like to return to South Lodge. We spent two nights there.
    As we walked through the door, the welcome was warm and professional although I was a bit surprised they needed to check all our details again as we had responded to the email sent us earlier in the week asking about our preferences for various things - a nice touch. I used the email to order some flowers (it was our anniversary) and it was a lovely bunch that was waiting for us in the room. Some of the flowers are still going strong 10 days later.
    The young man who took us to our room showed us where everything was and how it worked. We had a lovely room on the top floor overlooking the side garden. The shower was spectacular and the toiletries were of high quality and the "free from" list was excellent. The hospitality tray was well stocked and we were told we could request fresh milk. The bed was very comfortable and we had a good night's sleep both nights. The first night we couldn't get the water to run out of the bath and we also found the tablet had frozen. A phone call to Reception was all that was needed for both items to be fixed with a minimum of fuss despite it being 9.30pm. It was nice to lay in the bath and watch something mindless on the TV! The only thing we would have liked in the bedroom were bath robes but the slippers were welcome.
    We ate in Camellia where the service was very good and the food delightful. The staff were very efficient but also approachable and friendly. The mix and match between Market and a la carte menus was appreciated. We didn't use the bar facilities. Breakfast both mornings was very good - good choice of fresh fruit and cereals, nice home made preserves and marmalade, quality cooked food, very good coffee and tea in good supply. We sat on the Terrace side of the room and had a pleasant view across the garden to the Downs to enjoy as well. We used Room Service one evening. The tablet system worked well and you could see in advance what the food looked like! The staff who brought it to us were very pleasant and the trays were removed when we rang Reception.
    We enjoyed one of the walks through the grounds and the very lovely gardens.
    Departure was also reasonably painless and the staff again were very pleasant even when we pointed out a typo on a welcome note that had been put close by.
    We will be back.

Room Tip: Every room is different (we were told) and I assume they are all very pleasant. The rooms on the front of the hotel might not have such lovely views.
    • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
    MarkSurguy, Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

Dear Roggo46,

Thank you so much for your lovely review following your recent stay.

It really does set the tone of a stay by delivering a memorable welcome at the door. I am pleased we did this on your visit and we had a delightful bouquet of flowers awaiting your arrival in the room. I am delighted too that your bedroom exceeded your expectations.

It is lovely for the team here to have such fantastic feedback and to learn of the excellent service they continue to deliver. Thank you.

I am thrilled you do have a return stay in mind. The team and I very much look forward to seeing you.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 28 August 2014

The weekend stay started with the fantastic welcome from the team on the front door. Really warm and genuine rather than the usual stuffy 5 star robot. The front desk team were also as warm and friendly.
    Onto the room...magnificant view. We had a junior suite which had the garden terrace overlooking the South Downs. Room was spotlessly clean with everything you would need for a weekend stay. Walk in shower big enough for 4 people and a whirlpool bath that had amazing pressure.
    Breakfast was fantastic and huge selection of fresh produce.
    Dinner in the Camelia restaurant for 2 nights was worth every penny. Great service and the food was to die for...the beef fillet was melt in the mouth. Service was just right, not too much fussing but just enough that it didn't leave you waiting.

Oh I forgot...the bed and the pillows were just fantastic. We haven't been able to sleep in our bed properly since.

Thank you South Lodge for a very memorable stay and we were so happy to return after getting married there last year.

• Stayed: August 2014
    MarkSurguy, Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2014

Dear Carl S,

Thank you for such a lovely review following your stay.

All of the team here were delighted to read your kind words. It is pleasing that the tone of your stay was set upon your arrival with a warm and genuine welcome.

I am delighted you enjoyed your junior suite. It sounds fantastic with its very own private garden overlooking the South Downs.

The Camellia serves a modern take on traditional and seasonal dishes with many of our ingredients coming from our own kitchen garden. I am delighted you enjoyed it.

All of us here at South Lodge look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 27 August 2014

South Lodge is a lovely hotel. I stayed here for one week during a conference, and only left the hotel on a few evenings. The service on the whole is very good, with many members of staff passionate about their position. I would say that on some occasions the service was slow. My room was excellent, with great views over the back lawn overlooking the Downs. I would also say one of the best beds I have ever had in a hotel. The attention to detail was very good, including the turn-down service. The shower was excellent, and their was good quality linen throughout.
    I would say the biggest thing that lets the hotel down is the inconsistency in the food. Sometimes it was excellent, and other times very average, including the breakfasts, which are not cheap. Many people look forward to a good breakfast, and for me it was quite average, and a little disorganised. From what other friends have said who have stayed at South Lodge, they would say that food has gone downhill in the time they have visited. Overall, a lovely hotel, great service, with attention to the food required.

Room Tip: I had a traditional style room, overlooking the back lawn which was very relaxing.
    • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear mikeydenn89,

Thank you for your kind words following your stay.

I am pleased you found South Lodge to be lovely, the service provided by the passionate team to be very good with an exceptional eye to detail and you enjoyed your bedroom and the excellent views.

I am sorry you felt the food was inconsistent. We focus relentlessly on delivering the very best experiences to our guests so your feedback is greatly appreciated. Our Pass restaurant has won countless awards including a Michelin star, 4 AA rosettes, and was voted the 38th best restaurant in the country by the Good Food Guide. The Camellia restaurant is Head Chef is Steven Edwards, the recent winner of MasterChef the Professionals and here we hold 2 AA rosettes.

I do hope the team and I are have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 26 August 2014

I booked this hotel for a special birthday treat for my friend and I after looking at many others. This was the only one in this class in this area that apparently could "twin" a good room (other hoteliers take note).

The grounds are lovely and invite a long walk round, there is a lovely vista from the terrace and hotel rooms on that side and on the day we arrived this was a backdrop to wedding photos.

There was obviously a trainee on the desk along with someone of a more senior level, I found the flopping untidy hair quite distracting as it did not match the calibre of the hotel, however both were polite, friendly and welcoming.

I was a little nervous as I had not received email confirmation of the booking prior to arrival despite a follow up phone call (it arrived on the day of departure).

Our room was lovely with the most incredible comfortable pillows (there was a menu of 6), TV, radio (with Bose speakers), a tablet to access internet, room service etc.

The bathroom was well appointed with both bath and shower although the rainfall shower was somewhat less than monsoon like. Toiletries werre of excellent quality and we had lovely robes, HUGE towels and complimentary slippers.

Proper padded hangers in the wardrobe along with iron and ironging board, hairdryer and sewing kit etc.

A selection of expensive up to date coffee table magazines were also provided along with an excellent refreshment tray.

Afternoon tea (we opted for the cream version) was superb with wonderful scones and plenty of jam and cream as well as super pastries. The tea and coffee menu was extensive and I opted for the Lady Godman which was similar to Earl Grey but without the sometmies bitter aftertaste.

More drooping hair I am afraid on the very cheerful (but somewhat careless waitress who spilled the milk jug).

We dined in the Camellia restaurant which lacked somewhat in atmosphere and was divided in two.

The menu was extensive and we appreciated the option to mix and match from the market menu and the a la carte.

The amuse bouche were excellent and both our starters and mains were excellent.

We opted for a glass of wine each as we could not manage a bottle (perhaps a few half bottles may be explored).

Coffee and petits fours were taken in the bar, somewhat less noisy than the piano in the lounge.

Breakfast the next morning was somewhat marred by the failure to top up components sufficiently quickly. There were no glasses for orange juice and no muesli? A lot of the fruit and pastries looked decidedly tired.

Having said that the juice, when it came was superb, as was the cooked breakfast and we LOVED the fact that HUGE cups were available instead of the normal twee receptacles which are totally unsuited for that time of the morning.

The beverages were topped up regularly and clean cups provided.

Our departure was also smooth and accompanied by good natured banter. I have no hesitation in recommending this establishment and overall I was very happy with the service and amenities offered.

Room Tip: Ask for one that overlooks the lawns.
    • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Dear CamilleWiltshire,

Thank you for your charming and comprehensive review of your stay at South Lodge.

The team and I are delighted we were able to exceed your expectations and deliver a memorable stay. It is always important to create the warmest of welcomes on arrival which I feel sets the tone for a guest’s stay.

I am pleased dinner in The Camellia did not disappoint. The kitchen team is headed up by Steven Edwards, the recent MasterChef the Professionals winner. Steven offers a modern take on seasonal and traditional dishes in a lovely wood panelled room overlooking the South Downs.
    Breakfast should leave a memorable last impression before a journey home or a long day ahead. I am pleased it was of a high standard, there were plenty of refills, and you were able to enjoy our extra large mugs!

I do hope to welcome you back before too long.

All the very best,