“Lovely experience”

Cisswood House
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lower Beeding
“Lovely experience”
Reviewed 8 June 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the hotel and made full use of the spa facilities. There was a wide selection of breakfast items and the staff were very friendly. Overall it was a lovely hotel in a beautiful setting surrounded by big gardens.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2013

After reading previous reviews on this hotel I was a little skeptical but decided to book & we weren't disappointed. Gareth in the reservations team was just fantastic from start to finish. There were 12 of us ladies staying for a hen weekend & he did a fantastic job at organising our rooms, spa treatments & restaurant booking. On arrival we were greeted by friendly staff who couldn't do enough to accommodate us & make us feel welcome. We had the 3 course set lunch menu which was fantastic. The service friendly & the food very tasty and reasonably priced. We then spent the afternoon having treatments & relaxing in the leisure facilities. The therapists were very friendly & the treatments were to a good standard. The leisure facilities were adequate for what we wanted, however there were only 2 other hotel guests using the pool so we pretty much had it to ourselves. Had it been busier it may have been more of a problem.
We had rooms all together in the refurbished section and they were clean, modern & furnished to a good standard. It is a bit of a walk through several corridors to get to these rooms but they are worth it.
The breakfast was delicious & cooked fresh to order. For those who didn't want a cooked option (or wanted both), there was a good selection of cereals, jams, pastries, fresh fruit & innocent smoothies.
Everyone thoroughly enjoyed their stay & i'm sure we will be back again soon. Thanks to all the hotel staff for such an enjoyable weekend!

London
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We signed up for a weekend at this hotel through Living Social, and the deal included a treatment in the "Spa", as well as dinner with a bottle of wine. The place was rated as a four star luxury hotel, so we arrived with high expectations.

What a shocker.

Where to start ... the room was quite nice when we got there, so all seemed good. We checked in for our treatments, both of us opting for massage. And both of us were utterly disappointed with the results. Honestly, it felt like the therapist was gently kneading a soft dough instead of delivering an invigorating massage.

The "spa" was nothing more than one of the smaller hotel rooms converted into a couple of treatment rooms. The doors were so thin that throughout my supposedly relaxing massage, all I could hear over the tinny "relaxing" panpipe music were cackling laughs and inane conversations of the spa reception staff discussing the foibles of Eastenders.

In the pool area we found the "jacuzzi" - simply one of those portable ones you buy for your garden. Apparently it had been broken, after it's recent installation, and the chemicals were so strong that my eyes puffed up and nearly popped out of my head after just 10 minutes. It was also so small that you could only get five people in there, maximum, and that was with legs touching ... no thanks.

Not one part of that experience was relaxing.

Dinner was fine, nothing exceptional, and we felt that were were being treated as second class guests just because we'd come on a voucher. We would have happily upgraded and paid for extra, had we not been made to feel like cheapskates.

Gather dinner we tried to relax in the hall, by the fireplace. But we were constantly disturbed by children constantly running up and down the very narrow hallway, and guests from the wedding (the reception for which was taking place in the other main room) all in and out of the front door to smoke - fine by me, they can stand outside, but it was soo cold outside and the door is right by where we were sat, so all in all that was not relaxing either.

Then, when we got to bed, and got to sleep, we realised that the walls in this annex were REALLY thin when a drunk couple came back at about 1am and had a blazing row upstairs. We could hear every word they said, and when I called down to reception to have someone ask the couple to pipe down, they were hardly interested. I called again and thy sent someone up to knock but after 2 minutes the screaming started again. I called reception again, but they said to me "we asked them already, what else can we do?"

All in all an absolute shocker off a relaxing and romantic weekend away. A massive disappointment, and I have no idea how they got their rating. It's a terrible place and we'll never go there again.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ThomasViaggiatore

Travellers are raving about these Lower Beeding hotels

Rustington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2013

My friend was given this spa day as a Christmas gift and in turn treated me to the same as a thank you gift. We arrived at 10am and was immediately offered tea and coffee in the lounge. All of the staff were very helpful and courteous. We were given a lovely hotel bedroom with en suite, near the spa and treatment rooms, to use for the day which was a lovely surprise. I've been on many spa days to various locations but have never been given a hotel room, at no extra cost, for use during the whole day.
Our first treatment was a half hour facial each. This was very disappointing! The pads placed over my eyes were cool and not warm like other facials I've had. A face mask was applied to my face and was left on there for 5 - 7 mins, which is too long out of a 30 min session, before it was wiped off flippantly. I felt as though there was still face mask left on my skin when the next product was applied. And to crown it all, it was all over in 25mins. This was the poorest facial I'd ever experienced. Very wishy washy!

So, on to the 60 minute full body massage with salt scrub and hot towels I had treated my friend and I to. It was her first so she didn't know what to expect. I was taken from the main building to a room outside which looked like an outhouse. The outside door led straight into the treatment room. It was cold in there and I had to ask for a heater to be put on 15 mins into the massage as I was frozen. THERE WERE NO HOT TOWELS AND NO SALT SCRUB with this massage despite being advertised as such!! Just massage oil. This was extremely disappointing. Another major complaint was that the towels laying on the massage bed which I was directly lying upon were not clean and had previously been used at least a few times. They felt oily and were certainly soiled. Again, the hour massaging session only lasted 50-55 mins and I was back out before the hour was up!! Overall, I would give the spa treatments a very poor 4 out of 10 all things considered.

A two course lunch was included in the very reasonably priced spa day. This was excellent and very good value served in a lovely dining room. Afternoon tea was served in the beautiful garden. This was also very generous with a selection of sandwiches, cakes and homemade, warm scones with cream and jam and a generous pot of earl grey each.

The pool is small but adequate providing there are no more than 3 or 4 people in it at one time. The gym is well equipped. The bedroom was clean with a very modern bathroom, tea and coffee facilities, a large flat screen tv and it was beautifully furnished with luxury drapes and cushions.

Overall, considering the price of the spa day which included a day bedroom, lunch, afternoon tea and one 30min spa treatment, all for under £60, it was good value but my main recommendation is for the spa staff to bring their treatments and hygiene standards up to scratch and give the products as advertised. Both of the treatments were poor and the towels need to be replaced after each client and not made to last for the whole day. I found this rather off-putting! Would I return? Possibly considering the cost, the lovely food and the staff but I would be apprehensive about the treatments!

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
england
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We visited this hotel for lunch for the first time and were quite impressed with the menu, cooking and the service. Be aware the meals in the evening are double the lunch price and there are probably less expensive places elsewhere.
The hotel is surrounded by an attractive garden with azaleas and rhododerons and is very pleasant to sit in. The hotel is probably in need of a makeover particularly the front steps, reception area and the corridors.

We will probably have lunch there again. Staff were very pleasant and helpful..

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2013

A friend and I went to Cisswood House Hotel for the pamper day it was excellent from the moment we stepped through to reception to the minute we went home.
All of the staff are courteous,polite and very helpful,nothing was too much trouble and there was a wedding for them to look after as well as the day people.The treatments are basic ,the gym well equipped,the pool great for leisure time ,spa hot tub,solarium and sauna all perfect for a relaxing day.But the food ,well it was superb and beautifully cooked and presented,warm plates and attentive service .Particular thanks go to Steph for her extreme thoughtfulness in making sure we were warm as the day was inclement .We were provided with our own bedroom ensuite for the day so we could leave our belongings there and make beverages which was a plus.We would recommend going there and will be back especially if the summer does arrive so we can sit in the garden for afternoon tea.

2 Thank LordieLordie
Birdham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2013

This was a treat for three older friends to catch up and have a bit of us time! On arrival we were made very welcome and offered a tea or coffee, we were then given a tour of the facilities which included the. swimming pool, sauna and the gym. The gym is very small but as we weren't planning to use it, it wasn't an issue for us.
After the tour we sat in the very welcoming reception and talked, it was so relaxing that the time ran away with so our intention to use the swimming pool didn't happen.
The lunch was lovely, in the brochure it said a light lunch, it consisted of three courses of a varied menu and once a again the staff were pleasant, helpful and polite.
We then went for our pre arranged treatments, we had been provided with a room for the day near the facilities. The room was pleasant and the gowns, slippers and towels had been provided, we were all pleased that the gowns actually fitted instead of being on the small size.
The spa treatment area is small but cozy, the staff are excellent and the facial treatment is worth the money, we all agreed that it was one of the best that we have had!
Afternoon tea was very large with a selection of sandwiches, scones, cupcakes and tea and coffee, again we were left to chat and relax.
I would recommend this pamper day, as we all felt that we had been treated very well, we came away relaxed and most important felt that we certainly had value for money.

1 Thank alfieinwestsussex
Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel
Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel
#2 of 4 in East Grinstead
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,233 reviews

Been to Cisswood House? Share your experiences!