“A pleasant break”
Review of Cisswood House

Cisswood House
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lower Beeding
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My husband & I have just returned from a 2 night break here. On the positive notes; The hotel was pleasant, a little dated, some would say it has 'character' in some parts. The staff were all friendly & helpful throught the hotel. The food was superb, the meals on both nights were delicious, and breakfast too. We made use of the pool but it was very hot in the wet area & a little noisy from the bubble pool. The gym was well equipped, but we stayed away from it! The gardens are lovely if you have nice weather to make the most of them - we didn't have afternoon tea, but there seemed to be plenty of sandwiches & cakes on the 3 tiers that some guests were enjoying. On the negatives; Our bedroom was at the back of the hotel - not an exciting view but it was cool. We were woken quite early the first morning by the laundry van arriving & collecting 4 or 5 trolleys of linen that were right outside the bedroom window, all being wheeled up & down a noisy path, so sadly no lie in! The room was large and nicely decorated, but a fridge would be good - the weather was so hot that a cold bottle of water or coke would have been nice drink while relaxing/watching the tennis! The bathroom was modern and large and well stocked with soaps etc, but the shower was not great - the head needed de-scaling as the holes squirt all over the place except on you! The bath is very narrow so my husband struggled to get comfortable in it. Sadly neither of us slept that well, where the 2 large singles were pushed together, both dipped on a side to form a wedge in the centre, and the support in the mattress was starting to give. There were 2 pillows each, but, 1 was not enough to give any support, and 2 was too much, so if you are fussy about head comfort, you may want to take your own pillow. We both had a massage/facial included in the deal; the treatment room was very nice and the treatments were pleasant. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would be happy to recommend it to others. Banging doors and hearing other guests in their room happens in most hotels.. it goes with the teritory.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel is quieter, but no sun and not a great view!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Vikki M, General Manager at Cisswood House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Dear Clairepeters

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay here on tripadvisor.
I was pleased to read all the positives to your stay here at Cisswood.

Some of our rooms have zip and link beds which allow us to twin the room should the need arise, this is very common in hotels, that said they should still be comfortable as a double and therefore I have instructed my Housekeeper to make a thorough inspection of all our zip and link mattresses and organise replacements as necessary. I have also asked her to check her schedule and all the shower heads to make sure none were missed out when we did the descaling last, this is carried out regularly throughout the year.

I apologise that these factors affected your stay but thank you again for taking the time to post your review

Reviewed 8 July 2013

My Fiancé and I took our parents to Cisswood house for dinner.
The food was just fantastic especially the mussels!! My Father in law had the fillet steak and after trying a small piece i was very jealous, his words were 'this is the best steak I've ever had'.
The staff were great as usual, very friendly and nothing was too much trouble.

Were having our wedding reception at Cisswood house next year and really looking forward to spending more time there.
Thanks for a lovely visit

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Richard

So glad you enjoyed your meal here at Cisswood and lovely to see you all again!

Thank you for posting your experience here on tripadvisor!

Reviewed 30 June 2013

I was treated to a spa weekend by my boyfriend at The Cisswood House Hotel. From the second we drove up I was highly impressed. There was a wedding at the venue and they rolled out the red carpet, nice touch. When we got to reception we were greeted by Gareth. a very polite and friendly man. Gareth very kindly upgraded us to a Suite, we were amazed by the room. It was more like an apartment! We then enjoyed the spa, swimming pool, sauna and Jacuzzi. We wished we had taken our gym gear as the gym facilities looked great too. Then we enjoyed a drink in the gardens, which were very well kept. We had dinner in the restaurant, the food and service were outstanding. After a few more drinks in the bar we retired for bed. The bed was so comfy and we both slept extremely well. Although there was a wedding going on we weren't disturbed at all by the party or any guests at all. Breakfast the following morning was as great as we were hoping. So much to choose from and also the cooked breakfast was HOT! I obviously had to try everything on offer and was not disappointed at all. We were planning on staying for afternoon tea but after an amazing breakfast we couldn't have eaten anything else. We both enjoyed our 25 minute treatments. The ladies in the spa were so friendly and chatty. We both opted for back massages and we were very chilled out when we left. We will definitely be going back for that afternoon tea and if I'm lucky enough to stay for another relaxing weekend in beautiful surroundings with fantastic staff........especially Gareth. He made the weekend just that extra bit special. I cant complain about anything, neither of us can.
Thank you to all the staff at Cisswood House.

Room Tip: The Garden Suite is a must!

Dear STWP

What a pleasure it was to read such a fantastic review, Gareth was also very pleased!
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Cisswood in the very near future!

Reviewed 30 June 2013

I usually check Tripadvisor before I book a hotel, and then take into account that there are likely to be those that love, and those that despise the same place. On this occasion I didn't, because we had decided to stay over after being guests at a wedding reception (at a different hotel) and so chose the nearest hotel to that.
From the website I had visions of approaching a lovely country house up a drive, but its not like that at all. The hotel is actually a mish-mash of buildings on the corner of two roads - one of them very busy indeed. Like the other reviewers, we were sent off down the endless corridors and through the firedoors to the Cissely Wing, which can be approached much more easily and directly from the car park. All was well enough until we got home after the evening reception. The place seems to have no noise insulation at all. Every flush of the loo, filling of a kettle and of course the banging of the fire doors was a disturbance. The guests staying in the next room arrived back at about 2am and had a chat before turning in. I could literally have joined in! Once your night is disturbed you begin to resent other things, such as the mattress-topper being extremely thin, and the pillows so foamy that they bounced away from your head at the slightest movement.
The redeeming feature was the charming staff - all very young. Not sure if that says something about the hotel, or if it was because people with families don't like to work at weekends. We enjoyed the food too.
I made a point of mentioning my gripes when I was asked if everything had been OK, and notes were duly taken, but as no-one has been in touch to ask for further details after a week and a day I feel a Tripadvisor review is warranted in the same way as it would have been if everything had been fantastic (only I would have posted that the next day).

Room Tip: Avoid the Cissely Wing unless you can sleep through an earthquake.

Dear Feebs3758

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Cisswood House Hotel and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations on your recent visit.

As you noted in your review the hotel has been extended, it was original built as a house in 1928 for the then chairman of Harrods and His wife Cissily and has since been extended to become a country house hotel, in an attempt to retain much of its original style and features it has been extended outwards so as the main house has not been altered with too much.

I apologise the bedding was not to your liking either we do try to cater for all needs and had you requested different pillows my team would have been more than happy to have replaced them with alternatives.

I am pleased to read you enjoyed the service and food you received during your stay but I fail to see the relevance in your comment about the age of my team. As you experienced, by your own admission, good customer service, you will know all my team are thoroughly trained to provide excellent levels of customer service regardless of their age. I have a full compliment of staff and managers all with the appropriate levels of experience and skill to carry out their roles here at Cisswood.
Had I received your feedback that you have said you left with a member of the team I would have responded directly to your comments.

Once again I thank you for taking the time to post your review,

Reviewed 29 June 2013

We stayed here the night before going on holiday as we were flying from Gatwick and live some distance away. From the outside the hotel looks beautiful, as does the entrance lobby as you walk in. The staff were reasonably friendly and helpful. We ordered a bottle of red wine in the bar and were given two very small milky looking glasses which most definitely hadn't been polished. Not the end of the world, but in the same token, not what you would expect in a hotel bar.
The room on the other hand was pretty bad - the phone didn't work properly - you could hear the person on the other end but they couldn't hear you, plus it had a different room number on it from the room we were actually in so it had obviously been swapped out. All of the electrical appliances in the room were substantially out of their PAT testing dates - the hairdryer by over a year! The fan in the bathroom didn't work and the décor was just a bit dated. As the phone in the room didn't work we didn't complain as we had to be up at 3am for our flight and didn't want to traipse downstairs to go through it all! Needs some investment in the rooms. We wouldn't recommend....

1  Thank travelfoodie1983
Vikki M, General Manager at Cisswood House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Dear Travel Foodie 1983

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of Cisswood House Hotel on Trip advisor.
Firstly my apologies for the problems you encountered during your stay.

I can assure you our pat testing is not 'considerably' out of date, our electrical Items have just been renewed this year which was when they were due to be retested, as I did not receive notification of your concerns directly I do not know which room you stayed in, I have instructed a further inspection of all equipment to ensure nothing has been missed.

All our equipment is tested for faults on a regular basis but we cannot preempt when some problems will occur, thus with the telephone I apologise the line was faulty during your stay had it been reported we would have made attempts to rectify this immediately.

Reviewed 23 June 2013

We have just spent a wonderfully relaxing weekend at Cisswood House - We stayed in a 4 poster room where a bottle of champagne was waiting upon our arrival - we then had a very filling afternoon tea over looking the gardens after which we had a 25 minute massage which was heavenly x We then took advantage of the leisure facilities which we had totally to ourselves enjoying a relaxing swim sauna and jacuzzi before getting ready for dinner in the Garden Restaurant where the food was of extremely good quality and superbly presented. After a comfortable nights sleep we went down to breakfast which was a wonderful spread of continental and full english and plenty of it - along with plenty of tea coffee and fresh juices. All in all a highly recommended break. Our family then met us there for Sunday Lunch to complete our weekend and again we were all served a lovely meal. Well done to the staff for making the stay a pleasant relaxing one we would certainly return again.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the hotel and made full use of the spa facilities. There was a wide selection of breakfast items and the staff were very friendly. Overall it was a lovely hotel in a beautiful setting surrounded by big gardens.

• Stayed: May 2013
Travelodge Horsham Central Hotel
Wimblehurst Hotel
Wimblehurst Hotel
#6 of 6 in Horsham

Been to Cisswood House? Share your experiences!