“Good break!”
Review of Cisswood House

Cisswood House
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lower Beeding
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I booked this trip through special offer & we got great value.
I asked for a room where we wouldn't have to go through loads of doors as spoken of by other reviewers,but because of Heath & safety regs I suppose in old buildings you have to have fire doors.
Once we got to our room (we were told it was a good one) we were pleasantly surprised,a four poster bed in a large room with a large very clean bathroom.
No view but we were only going to sleep there so no problem.
The staff were very friendly & helpful.
The meals were very good. We had a problem with the steaks coming up over cooked, but they quickly replaced them with fresh rare steaks which were very good. They even gave me a coffee & brandy to say sorry which was very good of them.
The breakfast was very good as well.
That leaves the massages we had which were also enjoyable.
So thank you one & all at the hotel.

Room Tip: Talk to the team at the hotel. They looked after us.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Vikki M, General Manager at Cisswood House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your wonderful review, I am pleased you found my team helpful and friendly and you enjoyed your stay.

I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a short break and had a lovely time food and drinks were great and there was a good variety for breakfast. We used the spa which was quite dated but had what we needed. The garden was also a nice relaxing place to use. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, we even complemented the manager about this.The rooms were a bit old but comfy enough. We would most definitely go back again.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Pippip7

I was so pleased to read your review, as were the rest of my team.
I am glad you had an enjoyable stay and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

The property is very picturesque, set in beautiful grounds. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. We stayed in a four poster room which was very large with an en-suite bathroom, the bed was very comfortable but the room did get very hot during the night. There were tea an coffee facilities in the bedroom. Breakfast was superb, every taste had been accounted for and was nicely laid out. It was a lovely sunny morning so we had coffee in the garden.

Room Tip: Ask for one with card entry, some still use a key. Some rooms are a long way from reception and the...

Dear Gill B

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at Cisswood House.
I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future

Reviewed 27 August 2013

I spend the bankholiday weekend (except monday) at Cisswood House. The Hotel is very lovely and the stuff over all is very nice. Unfortunately I forgot my mobile there. I called and asked to have my mobile send home by DHL, a service I was obviously going to pay for. The first receptionist, an english guy, was as we are use from english people in service, very kind and helpful. I send an email but not reply followed as to how much DHL would cost etc. Something pretty normal as it was the bankhoiday monday. I recalled again to find out if my mail arrived and a very unfriendly french receptionist picked up the phone. she pretended to have my credit card details without telling me how much DHL would cost. I once more said that I would send an email, if she could reply with the DHL cost and I would then give my credit card details, I asked, to have some english colleague also in copy as having lived in Paris for 5 years, my experience was very bad and wanted to avoid bad experiences. I had to recall few times only to hear that the Hotel was waiting for DHL to tell the exact cost. To my surprise suddenly I received an email from the GM telling me that as I refused to give my credit card nr to her french receptionist I should call myself DHL and find out about the costs. Nothing against this but the reaction was childish as it was mentioned to me 48hours after I left the Hotel. I do recommend the Hotel as it is nice, but make sure you will not forget anything as the non uk reception staff is not helpful at all and very immature. Personally I will never again stay at this Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Giulio B
Vikki M, General Manager at Cisswood House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Dear Guilio

I could write a very detailed response including all your emails to me detailing your verbal abuse towards my team and dislike for French citizens which I found appalling and deeply offensive as did my staff but I see no point in helping you to air your views and ignorance any more.

We are very helpful at Cisswood house hotel and often send lost property back to guests which we have no problem in doing so, your review is really not a true reflection of actual events and correspondence.

My suggestion that it may be easier for you to contact DHL directly was because your emails, which were addressed to myself, had very specific instructions on where and how you wanted your mobile delivered, the delivery address was changed from the original request, you did not want to give any details to my reception team at all about payment and they do not have use of a company card to have paid DHL directly themselves and I was on annual leave unable to deal with this at the hotel myself.

In all my years at Cisswood House Hotel I have never experienced such prejudice against a member of my team and am sorry I find myself for the first time in the position of having to say I would most certainly would not welcome you back to this hotel.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

We stayed recently overnight for a friends wedding which was being held at the hotel. We decided to stay as it was quite a way away from home and thought we'd make a night of it.
The hotel had a nice country feel and had nice gardens. Car park was large and there were plenty of spaces.
Check in was prompt and our room was available which was great so we could dump our bags. We made our way to room 8 and our first thoughts were how hot the upstairs corridors were (I think we were above the kitchens). We opened all the windows in our room and went downstairs to enjoy the wedding.
Food and drink was great for the wedding party, and we all had a very enjoyable time. Drinks prices were fairly reasonable.
When we retired to bed the rooms and corridors were still far too hot. It was like the heating had been left on. We left the windows open in our room but were kept awake by a very noisy fan from the kitchen outside the window.
Rooms were well appointed, bed comfortable and a good size. The shower was poor and the water pressure wasn't very good. Nevertheless it was adequate.
We were told upon check in that breakfast was served until 10.30am. We went down to breakfast at 10.05am to be told that no we couldn't have a table, even though there was still a buffet out. When I advised the young member of staff that we had been told 10.30 they reluctantly sat us down but didn't offer anything else, such as toast etc so we were subject to slightly cold leftovers. All I wanted was some toast. Anyway, the sausages were nice which was a bonus.
We paid £135 as a special wedding rate. I am not sure that I would have said that the rate was right, £100 is more acceptable I think, especially for a hotel away from things. I have recently seen the hotel online for £150 B & B and I think this is very steep, especially as the hotel is rated as 3 star on some websites.
I am not surprised to read that this hotel is 2 out of 2 hotels in Lower Beeding, and to be fair, I think its very hard for it to compete with South Lodge, the other hotel in Lower Beeding. I have stayed there a couple of times before and it is in a completely different league and in hindsight I wish I had booked there instead.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Dear lou_lou84

I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your friends wedding here at Cisswood and on the whole you enjoyed your stay.

We have been extremely lucky in England this year to have enjoyed some summer weather for once! unfortunately this does make it difficult to keep bedrooms and corridors cool when temperatures outside are well into the 30s. Each bedroom does have its own large portable fan although no air conditioning.

I apologise if you were given the wrong information at check in as breakfast is only served until 10 am on the weekend as stated in our guest directories in the bedrooms. I also apologise for our shortfall in customer service in the restaurant I will raise these issues with the relevant department heads to address.

I note your comments with regards to our prices and our neighbouring hotel, you will know the establishment you reference us against is a 5 star property thus offering a completely different level of product to us and their prices reflect this.

We are an independent country house hotel offering a professional, personable service within comfortable surroundings, our menus and facilities are price reflective and are competitive within the local area.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

I don't usually write reviews but felt the need to after I had a short break at Cisswood House on 21 Aug and loved every minute of it. We had a great room, good food, and found the staff very friendly and helpful. This was my first spa experience and I was so pleased it was so informal and yet very professional, which made me feel very comfortable and not conscious. Cisswood House will now become a regular appointment on our calendar for when my wife and I need another relaxing break.

Room Tip: The Garden room (104) is a lovely suite that overlooks the beautiful gardens, is very spacious, and...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for posting your review on your recent visit to Cisswood House Hotel.
I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay.
The Garden Suite is my favourite room I have to say and the view is particular stunning, I am glad it didn't disappoint!

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

My good lady needed a weekend of not having to do anything due to recent events - what a find, very pleasant staff from the first meeting in reception and right throughout the hotel including the bar, the restaurant, the lady cleaning the rooms, it costs nothing to smile and be nice - the staff have it by the bucket full. The room was very nice and a good amount of space, and very clean, as was the rest of the hotel. The food was of excellent quality and the grounds - hard to describe other than exceptional To find a hotel of this quality, in such a beautiful location was more that I thought I would find. My good lady had a very relaxing time and we both thoroughly enjoyed our short break - we will return again and recommend to all our friends. Thanks to all.

Room Tip: An upgrade would be strongly recommended.

Dear MRK24

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review, I am so glad you had an enjoyable break and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lower Beeding
Travelodge Horsham Central Hotel
Ghyll Manor Hotel & Restaurant
Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa

Been to Cisswood House? Share your experiences!