“Dissapointing”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lower Beeding
Kent
“Dissapointing”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

After booking a deal with this hotel I chose a room upgrade with the hotel direct on booking for a four poster bed. On arrival they told my partner that it was a four poster room. It was supposed to be a surprise. The room was a little grubby round the edges the lights had cobwebs and dust on them. The room was small and unfortunately not really worth the money.
The food was good and the staff fantastic. But I probably wont hurry back. Sorry

1 Thank POOLGUY1
Vikki M, General Manager at Cisswood House, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I am pleased to read there were positives to your stay here at Cisswood House and thank you for your kind words about my team.

I apologise that the cleanliness of your room was not up to our normal high standards and this has been addressed with my head housekeeper.

I am sorry you felt that the room was not worth the upgrade fee you had paid, had this have been raised with my Duty manager at the time we would have been more than happy to show you some alternative bedrooms to choose from.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Croydon, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013

There are some very nice things about this hotel. Firstly the staff are all polite and helpful. The location and character of the hotel are great. The swimming pool, gym, jacuzzi and sauna were all good. And the menu offered at the restaurant was excellent - everything I ate was lovely - although the meals were a little dry at the edges from waiting on a hot plate.

Unfortunately though there were quite a few negatives:

- I feel that we paid a LOT for our room. £169 for a room only - no breakfast included. Have seen other reviews saying that they were offered an upgrade on arrival, free bottle house wine, free spa treatments etc. Felt a bit ripped off.
- When I arrived the first thing I noticed was that the disabled parking area was well signed but then from there all access was via stairs. There may have been an accessible entrance somewhere but that wasn't signed from the parking area. No lift and small corridors (it's an old building) mean that I wouldn't recommend for wheelchair users.
- No mobile phone signal. We had left our young children with godparents and felt very nervous not being contactable. Would have been good to have known in advance.
- As I unpacked my suitcases I heard a couple having sex next door. Thin walls. Not a great start.
- In the shower there was blood in between the tiles. It made me think that someone might have been murdered in there. It came off easily which made me wonder how well the rooms are cleaned.
- Selected continental breakfast - mainly because it offered a platter of cold meat and cheese in addition to cereal, toast, pastries and fruit. When I asked where the platter was I was told by a young waitress "Oh we don't do that anymore. I suppose we should take it off the menu shouldn't we, giggle giggle."

If you can get a good deal and need somewhere near Gatwick to stay then it's perfectly adequate. But for a romantic break save your money and pick a nice B&B.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade
1 Thank Jo B
Dear Jo B

Thank you for taking the time to review Cisswood House hotel, I am delighted to read your positive comments as I am sure my team will be.

The reviews you have seen here where free bottles of wine, free treatments etc have been included – these are not as you say free they have been purchased as part of an offer we ran sometime ago in which Wine when taking dinner in our Restaurant and two 25 minute treatments where included – the guests then had a limited time to purchase and use their voucher.

We do have disabled access ramps which can be put in place for use by our guests and as you know disabled parking is located at reception enabling us to call upon the team to place the portable ramps when needed. As you quite rightly say our building is not new and we have to work with the footprint we have – our disabled rooms have their own access and again are located close to reception.

All bedrooms are equipped with direct dial telephones, and our staff would have been happy to locate you within the hotel had we received calls for you.

I have asked my Head Housekeeper to deep clean all of our bathrooms and can only apologise that our cleanliness was not up to scratch on this occasion – further training has been implemented to avoid any repeat of this situation.

In regards to breakfast, again further training has been instigated in regards to the items that we have available on our breakfast menu – we do offer cheese and meat plates for those guests selecting a continental breakfast and I thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Booked for one night after purchasing a voucher from Living social deals for £99 for 2 people B&B to include 2 spa treatments and a bottle of house wine with the evening meal. What great value this turned out to be, on arrival were told we had been upgraded. We had a light lunch while waiting to be checked in and after that had a swim and jacuzzi before our afternoon treatments. The rest of the day was finished off with a superb meal in the restaurant. Our room ( room 14) was large and clean as was the rest of the hotel. We found all the staff very courteous and helpful. The pool area was undergoing refurbishment work while we were there but we did not find this off putting. Hotel was not busy while we were there but it still had a warm cosy feel to it and the wi-fi worked well. Breakfast was very good as well.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 14 which was large, warm and comfortable. Could not hear any other guests but Deliver...
2 Thank ChrisJ36
Vikki M, General Manager at Cisswood House, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Guest

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I know the team will be thoroughly pleased and encouraged to read your review also.
I am delighted you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and hope we will see you back at the hotel again in the future.

Once again thank you for writing about your experience at Cisswood House Hotel.
Brinklow
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Stayed here for the night before flying off from Gatwick,despite the power cut we had a nice stay,Staff were very friendly and the room was big and well kept,cant comment on food as we had an early start.
Location was good and the place had character.

1 Thank BrinklowSello
Dear Guest

My apologies that your stay was interrupted by the power outage we had in the area, as I am sure you appreciate this was beyond our control and the weather was against us!
I am pleased this did not reflect badly on your time with us and I thank you for your kind words about the team and the hotel.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel at some point in the not to distant future.
Many thanks once again.
Yeovil, Somerset
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Stayed here free of charge as part of a deal with my car insurance company the night before we flew out from Gatwick. Absolutely ideal, as it was an easy 15 min drive up to the airport in the morning.

Hotel is very nice, old wood panelling everywhere, but in places a little shabby. Nothing to worry about and our room was perfectly acceptable, comfortable bed, clean and well stocked with all we needed for the night. Didn't use the spa/gym facilities, nor did we bother with breakfast as we were eating in the airport.

Receptionist and bar/restaurant staff were all very friendly and all in all we had a very pleasant stay.

1 Thank SomersetSpud
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us here at Cisswood House Hotel and for your kind words about my team. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again, perhaps on your next trip out of Gatwick or for a relaxing spa stay where you could make full use of all of our facilities.

Once again thank you for taking the time to post your review.
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

My friend booked this hotel for myself and two friends to have one spa treatment, evening meal and breakfast for just £100 each so excellent value for money. On arrival we were greeted by a friendly receptionist who informed us our single and twin rooms were in the new wing of the hotel on the ground floor. It was a fairly long walk to the rooms but we passed the spa treatment room and the pool on the way so we could see what we were getting!

Our rooms were very spacious with lots of wardrobe and cupboard space and the showers were very powerful!

Our spa treatment of a back massage was very relaxing and we got to use the pool and the hot tub/jacuzzi pretty much to ourselves which was a treat.

Our evening meal was very tasty, we all had different starters and mains and the portions were enough to satisfy us. My friends had dessert too and they looked very appetising.

Breakfast in the morning was buffet style but you could ask for any extras if they were not on the self serve menu. It was hot and plentiful. There was plenty of hot tea and coffee available along with fruit juices, pastries, cereals as well as a good selection of hot food. Really pleased.

On the whole we had a great time, found it relaxing and ate some lovely food. Would recommend.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review Cisswood House Hotel.

I am glad you enjoyed all of our facilities during your stay and you left the hotel feeling relaxed!
It was a joy to read your review and the comments therein. I am pleased you had a pleasant time with us and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not to distant future.

Once again thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.
Chabanais, France
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We visited relatives in Sussex and decided to stay in a nearby hotel for one night. This is a very pleasant hotel with surprisingly pleasant staff. We did not use the restaurant, nor did we have breakfast. If you like 'country house' style hotels, you will like this one.

On the debit side, there is no lift to the bedrooms upstairs and the staircase is somewhat narrow. This was a struggle for us (fit late 50s) but, unless staff carried luggage for you, less agile people would baulk at this.

Our deal was £100 for a one night stay for a couple. Not too expensive but certainly not a budget hotel.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Cisswood House Hotel here on Tripadvisor.

I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and your kind comments about the team here.

I note your comment about there being no elevator within the hotel and unfortunately we do not have this facility due to the traditionally styled building it would not be possible or practical to introduce this. We do however have a large selection of ground floor rooms and we offer assistance with luggage upon check in, my apologies if this was not offered to you as a member of the team would have been only too happy to have assisted with your luggage, however I will readdress this with our front office team to ensure this is not a training need and is consistently offered to all guests.

I do hope we will get the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future, thank you once again for your review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lower Beeding
Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa
Travelodge Horsham Central Hotel
Ghyll Manor Hotel & Restaurant
Cottesmore Golf and Country Club

Been to Cisswood House? Share your experiences!