“Excellent price, helpful staff, dated facilities” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cisswood House

Cisswood House
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lower Beeding
London
“Excellent price, helpful staff, dated facilities”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

I stayed there as part of a group through a Living Social deal. It was extremely reasonably priced - £50 each for bed and breakfast, a spa treatment and use of the facilities - plus a deal on wine with dinner. It was good value for money and if you go with the expectation of a cheap weekend away with friends, but nothing luxurious, then I think you'll come away happy.

Positives: the staff - they were very friendly and helpful particularly those in the dining room and on the front desk. The waiting staff were very attentive but never made us feel rushed even when we took ages at dinner. There were a few things which did not run smoothly (see below) and the reception staff did their best to help (though the staff in the gym were a bit vague). The afternoon tea was also very good value for money though again do not expect luxury - but for £12 I don't think you should! The beds were also very comfy, our room in the Cissily Wing was very spacious, and the shower was great.

Less good: the spa facilities are pretty dated and small. The pool is tiny and the jacuzzi seemed well past its peak - the headrests and nozzles seemed to keep dropping off it when people touched them and it definitely needed maintaining. We mentioned it needs attention to reception and they'll hopefully have a look. The changing rooms were also very small and not amazingly clean. On our first day, there weren't sufficient towels and robes, as the washing machines had packed in - not brilliant if you're selling yourself as a spa hotel. They did kindly sort us out with some the next day though, and they were in good condition. The walls in the bedrooms are also rather thin and all of us heard a lot of noise from the next door rooms.

Overall with new spa facilities I think this could be a really nice hotel - for the cost of a deal like that on Living Social I think you have to manage your expectations a bit. At the moment it's in decent shape, with friendly and helpful staff, and while I'm not sure I would go back for the time being, I'm certainly not sorry we picked it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Vikki M, General Manager at Cisswood House, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.

I thank you for your comments about my team, we pride ourselves on our customer service levels here at Cisswood and I am pleased to hear the team made you feel welcome. I will bring to the attention of my leisure Manager the issues you raised with the leisure staff and ensure that any training needs are addressed in this department immediately.

I do understand there are plans for the near future to develop our spa further, having completed refurbishing the ladies changing rooms last year I believe the gents are to be done this year, I will raise your review with the director though so they are aware of the feedback.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope that we may get to welcome you back in the future.
Once again thank you for your review.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

We had the most amazing wedding day at Cisswood. The staff were great and nothing was too much trouble.
We decided to get married at short notice and were worried if it could be done but Nicky put everything into motion and we did not have to worry about a thing. The organisation was amazing! Our guests loved the venue and the food, there was no room for improvement!! Very happy :)!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Tania,

Firstly my sincerest congratulations again to both you and Lloyd.

It was our pleasure to have been the host venue for your very special day.

I was pleased to have been there on the day to see it all come together for you both and I wish you a lifetime of happiness.

Vikki
Sompting, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at this beautiful hotel for a night in January and had an absolutely perfect time!

Our room was fantastic...really huge with a lovely seating area and a really really comfortable bed, and bright well equipped bathroom. There was a nice selection of tea and coffee in the room, and the decor and feel of the room was lovely.

ALL staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, from the lovely lady at reception when we checked in to the fantastic duty manager, and the bar/restaurant staff.

The hotel itself is beautiful and really pretty and cosy inside. The swimming pool was fantastic, as was the jacuzzi. The gym had all the equipment needed...much more than most hotel gyms.

My husband and i also had a massage each which we had booked in advance and we were both very impressed.

We ate an early dinner at the hotel restaurant and the food was delicious! I had the fish and chips from a special Friday offer menu and it was very good indeed - fresh, and good size portion.

We were staying during the stormy weather and so did not get to spend time in the grounds but we look forward to investigating the gardens on a future visit.

Due to ghe storms there was a power cut on the night we were staying (affecting the whole local area and so out of the hands of the hotel) and we were so impressed by the professional and calm way it was handled by all the staff. They provided battery lights and we enjoyed sitting by the fire in the bar and playing a game of large dominoes that we found in the bar area! The manager on duty also kept everyone informed with regular updates from the electicity board.

Even though the power cut had lasted until the next morning they still made breakfast a very enjoyable experience providing a very good continetal selection of cereals, fresh fruit salad, pastries, toast, conserves, and tea/coffee.

I cannot fault this hotel and we would reccommend it to friends and family (in fact we already have!). We really really look forward to staying again!

BRILLIANT!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Vikki M, General Manager at Cisswood House, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us.
I was delighted to read how you enjoyed your visit, even if slightly effected by the power outages due to the horrendous storms we have suffered.

The team will be overjoyed to read your praise for them, as was I. Working in the service industry we love nothing more than to know we have achieved our ultimate goal in providing our guests with the perfect stay.

We really look forward to welcoming you back and the friends and family you have recommended us to also!

Many thanks once again.
Lingfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

Stayed at Cisswood for a New Year's eve murder mystery.
Staff were very helpful and cheerful, almost without exception, and our three rooms spacious and clean. The tables were laid out well with crackers and party poppers and the 'murder' was well acted and executed. Drinks were not over-expensive considering the occasion. We enjoyed the game, the atmosphere and the disco.
On the downside, for several of our party of six, the food provided (possibly not by the hotel) was neither good enough, or even enough. It was a shame to find that the spa/gym shut early on New Year's Eve and opened late on New Years Day. Minor repairs were needed to our room - tap and window locks. Power cuts at breakfast led to shortages of toast, and nearly to further murders in the dining room.

Room Tip: The 'new wing' can be quite a walk with a lot of doors to negotiate.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Vikki M, General Manager at Cisswood House, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Guest

I was delighted hear how on the whole there were a lot of positives to your stay here at Cisswood House Hotel and that you enjoyed seeing in the new year with us!

I myself was the Manager on Duty for new years day and we had nothing but positive comments on check out with regards to the food and the evening on the whole so I was disappointed to hear the food element of the evening fell below your expectations and I am sincerely sorry for this.

Unfortunately we did have a short minor power outage in the breakfast room first thing in the morning for no more than ten minutes, I ensured my team kept the toast going out as soon as we were back up and running but there was a small delay initially, my apologies. Although having been round all the tables to be sure toast was plentiful and nobody required fresh servings or more we ended up having toast returned to the kitchen!

I thank you again for taking the time to review your stay and wish you a happy and prosperous new year!

I hope to welcome you to Cisswood House Hotel again in 2014!
West Sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

My daughter's wedding was held here Jan 4th. The room was beautiful, the food was good, the organisation was faultless. We never knew they had been without power up until 10.30 that morning! Special thanks to the wedding planner, and to the Duty Manager, who was absolutely wonderful. Full Marks !!!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest

I am delighted that Cisswood House Hotel was the host for your daughters special day and a good time was had by all.

Thank you for your kind words about my team we all pride ourselves on going the extra mile for our guests here at Cisswood House and I am pleased this was evident in the level of service you received last weekend.

We were very pleased the power restored in time for us to have everything ready for you without a hitch!

Many congratulations to the happy couple and may I wish them a long and happy marriage together.

Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

My husband booked a special 30th birthday surprise - Spa weekend at Cisswood House when I find out I was over the moon.

On arrival hotel looks lovely front desk was tidy and staff presentable. That's when the issues began.

Room we had booked was old and run down for an apparent upgraded room at £25 extra not worth it - husband had bought a few surprises flowers and chocolates for the room £10 for 6 chocolates that were stale. Complete rip off and £30 for flowers both were a lovely gesture but my husband was disappointed at the effort for the price.

Moved room to a cheaper but cleaner newer room thinking maybe now we can relax.

Look for our robes - No robes were provided so when we chased we were given old brown towel robes uncomfortable to say the least.

Also had a couple of surprise treatments booked checked times when arrived - turned up for our first couples facial to an incredibly small room with not much seating and was separated to 2 smaller rooms. Facial was ok but so far not the relaxing birthday experience I was hoping for.

Next stop the pool which looks better in the photos but clean and tidy just smaller than expected with the one person fairly old sauna.

Bar was our next stop this was comfortable limited in terms of drinks offered but relaxing beautiful gardens.

Dinner was lovely great menu options in a quaint setting - slept well in our new room ready for our next couple treatment.

Surprisingly receive a call half hour then discussed when checking in telling us we are late for our appointment we are shocked and hurry along to the spa again only to be told sorry we can only give you a 5 minute massage now - Disappointed we complained with not much in the way of a gesture of apology we left feeling fairly upset that my 30th b day celebration was not what we hoped for.

Would I visit again - if it was anything close to this experience - No

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tracie H
Dear Guest,

Firstly thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Cisswood back in August, I only wish these matters had been bought to my attention sooner in order for me to address them with you and I would welcome the opportunity to discuss how your complaint was dealt with at the time.

I am sorry you did not like the location or style of the recently refurbished room you had been allocated originally, we have many different styles of rooms in order to offer something for all of our guest’s tastes, ranging from traditionally decorated four posters and suites to more modern, larger, executive rooms.

We have recently replaced all of our dressing gowns with brand new and had our sauna refurbished last month. I do apologise for the confusion over your booking times and I have addressed this with the team to avoid a repeat of this level of service.

I note from our records that the Duty Manager who dealt with your complaint at the time recorded you were most happy with your room change, that she put bottles of still and sparkling mineral water with her compliments in the bedroom for you together with fresh robes and slippers and after you had retired to your room for the evening she arranged for a special birthday cupcake to be taken up with her compliments also. Our records also read that you expressed your thanks to her and told her how she had turned the experience into a positive one after you were initially unhappy with your bedroom and that you had enjoyed your time with us.

Having read this report and discussed it at length with my Duty Manager I am confused as to why you would then post a review stating how upset you were by the experience when my management team were left with the impression from yourselves they had resolved all the issues raised with them at the time and that they had rectified these to your satisfaction.

As previously stated I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your comments directly to resolve the issues you had fully and would urge you to contact me directly at the hotel in the first instance.

At Cisswood House Hotel our guests are of paramount importance to us and honest feedback is invaluable if we are to continue striving to provide consistent excellent guest experiences.

Travellers are raving about these Lower Beeding hotels

Ashford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

Just returned from a couple of days at the Cisswood House Hotel, during some very bad weather.
All the staff were very welcoming and helpful, we were upgraded to a superior room which was very spacious. We ate in the hotel the first night and the food was lovely. Swimming pool a bit small but enjoyed our time in there and the sauna and jacuzzi...thoroughly relaxing time. On the second evening we encountered a power cut. The staff were brilliant although it was no fault of theirs. It was lovely sitting around with night lights everywhere although by morning when the was still no electricity all we wanted was a hot shower and a cup tea...never mind. On checking out our bill was taken care of very favourably. Hotel Oldy worldy and very charming, staff very helpful, friendly and could not do enough for us.
Would I recommend this hotel...YES
would I stay at this Hotel again...YES.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alison N
Vikki M, General Manager at Cisswood House, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review, I am pleased that the unfortunate power problems we have had to manage of late did not impact on your view of the Hotel and my team negatively and that you enjoyed your time with us.

we would be delighted to welcome you back to the Cisswood House Hotel in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lower Beeding
Premier Inn Horsham Hotel
Bailiffscourt Hotel
Bailiffscourt Hotel
#1 of 1 in Climping

Been to Cisswood House? Share your experiences!