“Staff more than make up for 'tired' venue”
Review of Cisswood House

Cisswood House
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lower Beeding
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I got Living Social vouchers for my family and we enjoyed a short stay together here. It has HUGE potential this place - it could be amazing, but feels a bit confused. Nothing has been thought through. Its crying out for the hotel inspector (tv)! BUT, we'd read the reviews here and didn't raise our expectations too high; it was cheap with the vouchers, bedrooms were ok (not great, but not terrible), the pool is small but nice; the grounds are lovely - underused! - breakfasts were really pretty good. Both my daughters enjoyed fabulous treatments in the spa facilities. We didn't try the food in the evening, opting instead for an amazing meal at The Crabtree (a mile down the road). We decided we were going to have a good time and we really did. The main reason this was possible was that the staff were consistently lovely, attentive and friendly and that is the thing that can make or break a stay. It made ours. Thank you.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Emma H
Vikki M, General Manager at Cisswood House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for such positive feedback about the team, we pride ourselves on our customer service and it is so lovely to hear its appreciated and made your stay.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

All the communal areas of the place are tired and in need of a facelift.The rooms are more modern so perhaps the upgrade of the other areas is on the cards? I looked over the photos of the place and booked it on the basis of these. I'm afraid they make it look a heck of a lot better than it actually is.

The rooms nearest the swimming pool (I can't warrant calling it a 'spa') are especially in need of air conditioning as they are so hot.

Room Tip: Book the nearby Premier Inn in Horsham. Similar room standard but the communal areas will be a lot b...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

I am sorry you were disappointed with the communal areas of the hotel and the leisure facilities, I have, as with other reviews, made sure the director is aware of your comments.

Refurbishment is underway in other areas of the hotel at the moment with future plans yet to be finalised I am sure your review will be taken into consideration.

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

I was given a voucher as a gift for Cisswood House, I visited with my mum for facials and afternoon tea. We arrived early so had lunch in the garden as it was a gorgeous day, we ordered sandwiches which weren't great, dry stake bread, warm sloppy filling, and all tad over priced too! The gardens are lovely though.

The spa is very small and a bit shabby and I wouldn't say it's up to others I've been to, however the treatments were great.

We had afternoon tea inside it didn't match up to South Lodge down the road, but was nice enough.

Overall the hotel looks and feels tired, everything seems dusty and old and the quality just doesn't seem like it's there. Everything feels very half hearted and thrown together. The staff are young and all look a bit scruffy no set uniform just all in black, from the brochure I expected more.

We had a lovely day, however I wouldn't go back and spend my own money there!

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Guest

I was very disappointed to read your review as our pamper packages and afternoon teas are very popular and well received.

I feel our lounge menu and sandwiches are very reasonably priced with sandwiches priced at £6.50p. I am sorry you felt the bread was stale and the filling sloppy it is difficult for me to comment now not knowing what you had other than to say this is not our normal standard or quality and had you mentioned this at the time we would have been more than happy to replace your sandwich if you were not happy with it.

Again our full afternoon teas are priced at only £12.50 per head which is very competitive and I feel represents excellent value for money, again these are well received and I cannot respond to your comment of comparison as there is no further information for me to respond to.

I am pleased you enjoyed your treatments although the spa has recently been redecorated and new carpet put down so I am confused as to why you would feel it looked shabby.

Our staff uniform is black shirts/blouses and black trousers/skirts and each member of the team has their own name badge, I have asked my Food and Beverage Manager to reiterate the uniform standards to the team in light of your comment to ensure they are smart and well presented at all times.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel at some point in the future in the hope we may restore your faith in the Cisswood House Hotel.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I like this place, I really do. I visit often with work, usually just for the night and always enjoy my stay. It would be nice if they applied a bit of customer loyalty though, the last few visits I've been put in the "new wing" which is a loooong walk from the main house, when know for a fact there have been vacant rooms in the main building (because I asked). The new wing is tired, the decor now dated and signs of wear and tear (see my photos) and the room wasn't exactly spotless either. In terms of food, the restaurant food quality is good but pricey but rather annoyingly the bar menu, which is what a single traveller would likely go for, is very limited which leaves me pretty bored with the food as a regular. Don't get me wrong, the garden is fab, the staff polite and the feel of the place is nice and in the summer months it is a lovely place to sit and relax of an evening, either in the bar area or the garden. The gym is okay, for a hotel but the pool and other spa facilities are of lower quality than you can get for similar priced comparable hotels. The hotel would benefit from a full refurbishment; but better than most in the area.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest

We welcome customer feedback both positive and negative as it is invaluable to us striving to provide consistently excellent guest experiences.

As I have said in review responses further down some refurbishment is already taking place within the hotel and I will also bring your comments to the attention of the Director.

With reference to the Lounge and restaurant menu we actually provide a lot more choice to what we used to offer and change our restaurant menu seasonally so I am sorry you feel there is not enough choice still, with reference to cost I do feel we are reasonably priced for the quality we provide.

I note that you reference 'Customer Loyalty' in terms of room allocations, if there is a specific area of the hotel you wish to be allocated in please mention this to the receptionist upon your next visit and they will do their best to allocate you there in the future. We do have many regular guests at the hotel who all have different preferences to room allocations with many actually preferring New Wing, but we are more than happy to note this on your booking profile for future reference.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Had real difficulty finding a reasonable hotel for my business visit to Brighton and also visit to the |Royal International Horse Show at Hickstead.
Found the Cisswood through Capita Travel after they had originally booked me into a Best Western (renamed by me as Worst Western). I was allocated a really excellent bedroom complete with four poster and breakfast at £105 per night including breakfast, albeit a very long and initially difficult to remember route. The staff were great and even though on the Friday afternoon there was a wedding and reception they were extremely attentive. One thing it does lack is air conditioning in bedrooms and public areas, it was very hot and not many windows in the bedroom.
I would really recommend the Cisswood as an alternative to Brighton hotels for business stays

Room Tip: Room 30 is the four poster room
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for such a wonderful review I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay with us and thank you for recommending us.

My team will be pleased to read your comments about them as was I and although we have air conditioning within our main conference room we don't unfortunately have it throughout the building but I will bring your comment to the attention of the Director.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We first stayed at Cisswood 4 years ago to celebrate my husbands 40th birthday. 4 years later we were back with my parents (66 and 70). We were relieved to find the rooms just as clean and the food just a great. They even had veggie sausages so top marks for that !! We were road facing in the new wing but even with the windows wide open, the noise wasnt an issue. Relieved that the maids restocked the tea and coffee tray every day with plenty of goodies as I hate having to ask for more milk and tea bags. Yes there are tired parts of decor in the hotel and yes,as with any hotel, you feel a bit lost when it comes to what happens at breakfast on the first morning BUT I loved our second stay and would definately recommend it as a great place to take a few days away from the everyday stress of life.

Room Tip: The new wing is quite a walk from the reception with a flight of stairs so if you have mobility issu...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

It was our pleasure to welcome you back after 4 years and I was glad to hear all was as you expected it to be!

Thank you for your kind words and please don't leave it so long next time.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

To be honest, the nights I spent at Cisswood House were a war of attrition. It was a very hot week, the road noise made it impractical to keep the windows open and there is no air con. Then on the final morning the night porter chose to water the flowers around my window at 4.45am with a hose! With the thin curtains already letting daylight in that was the end of that night's sleep.

This could be a beautiful place but everything needs an upgrade. The hot food in the breakfast buffet was cool, tough and poor. You got fresher stuff if you chose tray service.

So much potential, so much upgrading needed. And staff largely downcast too. A real shame.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Richard W

Dear Guest

I was very disappointed to read your review and please be assured your comments have been addressed with my department managers to avoid any repeat of this level of service.

I also want to note the Director/Owner is aware of your review and comments about investment and is taking this into consideration as refurbishments are currently underway in other areas of the hotel.

I do hope we may be given the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lower Beeding
Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa
Angmering Manor
Angmering Manor
#1 of 1 in Angmering

Been to Cisswood House? Share your experiences!