“Excellent hostlery”

Ranked #5 of 23 Restaurants in Petworth
Price range: US$7 - US$26
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The inn has medieval origins and is a few paces from the centre of Petworth. With a relaxed atmosphere throughout, its unspoilt bar features ships beams, wooden and slate floors, stone walls and 3 fireplaces, one of which is used to spit-roast joints of meat. On fine days the walled garden is a peaceful suntrap. With a choice of local real ales served by hand pump or directly from the barrel and an extensive wine list we cater to all tastes. We are serious about our food and ingredients are locally sourced where possible; much of our fish is landed at Littlehampton, the Sussex Downs provide our lamb, along with most of the vegetables that we serve. The seasonal menu is changed four times a year, supplemented by a fortnightly menu with daily chef’s specials to provide a comprehensive choice for the most discerning diner. A warm welcome awaits you.The inn is recognised by The Good Beer Guide, The Good Pub Guide, Cask Marque and Great Country Pubs.
Reviewed 28 May 2014

A Sunday evening meal meeting family. Service prompt, efficient and friendly/attentive. Food,a large range of choice. Decisions decisions decisions! Once choice made not of our party was disappointed. Choice of seating areas and after drinks outside on the patio it was inside for the food.
A great relaxing evening in casual comfortable surroundings.

Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Would strongly recommend visiting this quaint pub if in the area. We were very impressed with our food and service- my family have been a few times now and have not been disappointed. It has a lovely garden out the back, which is great when the sun is shining!

1  Thank Traveller10205
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I have visited the Angel several times with friends. In the winter there are roaring log fires but as soon as the sun shines the doors are flung open to a lovely garden with seating. We have always been for lunch but would happily return for dinner. It is a testament to the food that it is always quite busy so booking is advisable particularly if you are a large group. The choice is excellent and varies with the seasons. Sadly, I have never eaten more than a main course as I can't manage any more. The portions are very generous. We can highly recommend the fish pie, game casserole, fish and chips and risotto's. Don't forget to look at the special's on the blackboard.

1  Thank zenia10
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We went to the Angel for lunch, midway through our day out in Petworth. When we arrived there were no tables available to dine inside, but one soon became free. Whilst waiting we sampled two lovely pints of beer on the attractive patio.. Very welcoming and professional staff, who looked after us. Food wonderful, Steak and kidney pudding for my partner, and fish and chips for me. This experience added to my memories of a great day out in Petworth, a town I had not visited for 30 years from when my Grandmother lived here.

1  Thank zanyEngland
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Tried to get lunch here yesterday. Waited ages at bar to get served and when someone arrived to serve, he chose the local first who had literally just walked up to the bar. Nice!
Then when the other server came available, I asked if they were still doing food to be told "Nope, Kitchen's closed". That told me eh. We left to find somewhere friendlier.

1  Thank WestChiltChap