“Not Sett In Its Ways”

Badgers
Ranked #10 of 23 Restaurants in Petworth
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Badgers pub is situated just outside the historic market town of Petworth. It is set in the heart of the beautiful West Sussex countryside and nestled close under the South Downs. Badgers is a privately owned free house with accommodation. Badgers is run by Jules Arlette, the proprietor, along with her hard working and friendly staff. As well as a fine restaurant, there are three double rooms for those wishing to stay.
Reviewed 18 August 2014

A visit to Petworth station brings one inevitably to Badgers, recommended for lunch by the reception staff at the station. The menu is sufficiently varied if tilted slightly towards fish. The staff were pleasant enough but slightly less than engaged. The fact that the place was pretty busy on a Monday lunchtime suggests some sort of reputation. A starter of charcuterie, olives and bread was very satisfying but rustic in presentation. Its red pepper houmous was not particularly pleasant. Main courses of sesame chicken and chicken and chorizo linguine in pesto sauce were good. My partner commented that his linguine had too little salt and too much oil. Seasonal fruit pavlova and ice cream were also good, especially the ice cream. The waitress was, however, vague about the fruits which would accompany the pavlova - I expect staff to know the menu better. The bill was reasonable so, overall, it was a worthwhile visit.

1  Thank John_Oram_Eats

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Friendly staff and good food, nicely presented. I was surprised to see pad Thai on the menu, but I ordered it and it was delicious. Excellent lamb shank, soup, fish in such a nice atmosphere. Only tiny criticism is that the food is served piping hot, too hot to eat for a while. Guess I'm a bit impatient, but highly recommend this lovely pub.

1  Thank Susan C
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We haven't eaten here for many years because it always seemed a very cold place for non regulars but on the way back from London, we thought we'd give it another go and the staff on late lunch duty were lovely, good start.
Being late afternoon the place was nearly empty, so getting a table wasn't a problem.
We ordered the same starter, bloody mary prawn cocktail, which turned out to be a watery tomato liquid with warm prawns in ? a shot of vodka and a bottle of Tabasco sauce, so you could mix it yourself, quirky but call me old fashioned, I'd rather have a dish finished in the kitchen, if I'm paying the chef to do so...
For mains I had a Pad Thai with prawns, which I enjoyed and my wife had the Spanish fish stew which was a large, too large for one, bubbling bowl of tomato thinnish liquid (tasted a bit like the bloody mary mix...) with a variety of fish/shellfish, peppers/onions etc in it.
It did look impressive but it lacked depth of favour, even after putting extra seasoning in and all the seafood in it tasted over cooked (rubber squid) probably due to the dish being so hot, everything was still cooking at the table....
Pudding, treacle tart, was ok but had that microwaved feel to it.
Wine, Chilean sauvignon blanc, went well with the seafood.
But on leaving, the staff had changed and that old cold feeling had crept back into the atmosphere. not nice and we realised why we'd not been back for so long....

2  Thank mvf906
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Ate here three nights in a row, as really close to our B&B! Loved the food,Tapas, steak, five spice chicken, great value for money, staff very friendly. Just perfect.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Ate here as stumbling distance from our b&b nice menu choices and freshly cooked.i had the speciality fish stew which was really tasty and enormous! Friendly staff and good beers too; what else do you need?