“Very Nice!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Halfway Bridge

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Halfway Bridge
Ranked #3 of 17 Petworth B&B and Inns
Pewsey, United Kingdom
“Very Nice!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

My Family and I were looking for a Easter lunch venue half way between Wiltshire and East Sussex, we chose the halfway bridge and weren't disappointed. Excellent food, very attentive friendly staff and nothing was too much trouble. Highly recommend it! Thank you very much.
Lucy Anderson

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Thames Ditton, Surrey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

I booked a room here as a surprise birthday treat for my fiancée but it was just not up to standard so we checked out after one night.

We were allocated room 4. I would definitely not recommend this room. In my opinion the £155 a night price tag just is not justified. It was pokey and dark with tired paintwork and a very ordinary bathroom. Added to that the old DVD player kept freezing, the remote control was dead and the broadband internet was not working for most of our stay. A bathrobe or two and a light in the wardrobe so that we could see when making tea and coffee would not have gone amiss.

The bed was comfortable for me, although too short for my partner. Unfortunately, we think he had an allergic reaction to the feather pillows so our night's sleep wasn't great. Of course this was not the hotel's fault as I hadn't thought to ask about this in advance and to their credit the housekeeper did offer to exchange the bedding for hypoallergenic ones the next day.

We had our evening meal in the pub. The food was ok but, as with the accommodation, I felt it was overpriced. I had a green Thai chicken curry which lacked flavour and an apple and rhubarb crumble. The crumble was lovely but the custard which came with it was split. My fiancée had a pork dish which he enjoyed but at about £17 for this main, you would really expect it to have some vegetables with it instead if having to buy extra sides on top. Our breakfast in the morning was however pleasant with plenty of choice.

Overall we were very disappointed and decided not to waste any more money on a second night. I was expecting the duty manager of the hotel to contact me after we left but no-one bothered to ring or email.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank AMHThamesDitton
england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

We have just spent two nights in room 7. The room has everything you could possibly need. Clean, spacious and extremely comfortable. You could not fault it. I have recently stayed in a 4 star hotel in London that should certainly look at the standards set here ,so much better !!
The best thing by far about the stay was the wonderful staff. Amy and her team went out of their way to make you feel welcome and at home. Nothing was too much trouble.
The meals in the restaurant were great and breakfast was all you could desire.
We will definitely stay here again

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

I booked to stay here last minute as due to be in the area for work. Not one for B&Bs I was a little anxious however the write ups on here gave a good review overall. When I arrived the booking site I used hadn't actually confirmed the room with the Halfway Bridge. This however was not made an issue by them and they swiftly took care of the situation. The lovely gentleman took my details and checked me into a room. He took me and my luggage over to the room and couldn't have been more helpful in showing me the rooms facilities and pointed out things like how to turn the towel rail on and off, the wifi, and where everything is. I settled in and then went over to the pub later in the evening. The manager was very helpful and was apologetic over the mix up, even though I hadn't mentioned anything. He seemed to know me and the situation. Being a lone female traveller he asked where I felt comfortable being sat and gave me options of being within the main bar area or out if the way. The service was brilliant and the food exceeded my expectations. The ox cheeks are highly recommended. The accommodation (room 6) was gorgeous. The bed was incredibly comfy, the room was very quiet and after a nice soak in the huge bath I slept like a log. The next morning I was greeted with a large cafetiere of fresh coffee and chose a cooked breakfast from the good selection from the menu. There was also a good range of cereals, yoghurt and fresh fruit and juices etc on offer. The high standards of service from the night before were continued in the morning and the breakfast was delicious. Although I was in the area for work, I would definitely come back and stay for a short break with my other half.... And next time I am in the area will definitely consider this place again. Absolutely highly recommended - thank you so much for looking after me.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

We have just had a night at the Halfway Bridge. Our room - 6 - was beautifully kitted out, and very spacious. The meal in the restaurant was delicious and there was a comprehensive wine list.
Everyone we spoke to were friendly and helpful. The whole event couldnt be faulted.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Swansea County, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

We visited the Halfwaybridge Inn as part of a party of 12 friends.

Check-in was easy and efficient. We were shown to our rooms a 100 yards or so up a tarmaced lane at the rear of the pub. There was space immediately outside the rooms for 4 cars with further space around the back. Regards the location of the rooms you are given a wind up torch to make the walk at night. They were not particularly effective and disappeared after the first night. A house at the side of the lane did however have a proximity sensor on an outdoor light as does the building containing the rooms. Both these were very effective, but if you are keen for bright illumination you may want to take your own torch.

The rooms varied in size (and price) from the (I assume very large) suite to cosy doubles. Our party was allocated the non suite rooms – as we had ordered. Rooms 6 (our room) and 3 were the bigger of these rooms.

Furnishings in all of the rooms was to a high quality. Room 6 was particularly nice. Very large in size with a bed settee and armchair. The rooms had a fridge with complementary fresh milk each day, tea and coffee making facilities, an iron and ironing board. The bathroom was similarly spacious (without the sofa and armchair). It did however have a corner bath. Looks nice but not the most comfortable to lie in. The shower was however excellent and although we had plenty of hot water I do seem to remember one of our group complaining of a shortage of the stuff at one point. Rooms also had umbrellas which were handy to walk to the pub and back. Room 6 also had a spectacular glass sided wall looking out onto greenery – not the most impressive country view but pleasant nonetheless.

Rooms were warm to the point you turned the heating off on occasion although to be fair it was not the coldest of weather when we stayed.

The pub itself seems to be part bar/part restaurant nooks and crannies. We were allocated a lower room where a table for 12 was set up. 12 was a little bit of a crush, 10 would be more comfortable but I suspect it would be difficult to create any more space there.

Beer was very good. There was a choice of 3 real ales – Hip Hop, Doombar and Half way to Heaven. Price of Doombar was about £3.65.

Nice log fires at various places throughout the establishment.

Good choice of food at reasonable prices for the kind of pub we are talking about. I have seen cheaper meals but then again more expensive ones too. Food quality was very good with varying specials on each of the nights we stayed. It was pointed out to us that the number of portions of the specials was limited – that is why they are specials, and as we were to be found in the bar late afternoon we were able to pre-order.

Staff at the Inn were very friendly and efficient. Particular thanks to Amy and Ian who both put with a crowd of noisy Welsh people and provided excellent service.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and anticipate returning next year! My wife instructs me I must say “we would give it a 4½ if we could”. I prefer to stick to the rules and say it was a 4 not a 5.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Bognor Regis, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

Cannot fault the room, it was beautiful. Only down point was the hot water run out whilst running the bath. Had a meal in the hotels restaurant. When ordering a male member of staff suggested we not sit in the main restaurant area and sit in main bar area. This felt quite rude as we are a young couple and felt he didn't want us to sit with his upper class guests. Sat in restaurant anyway. Meal was fine, quite pricey for what it was. During the night my partner was very unwell, we can only assume from the food. When checking out we mentioned this to the same gentleman from the evening. He was so unsympathetic it was unreal! Said he had eaten the same and was fine. Said he wanted us to prove it by going to the drs and getting blood and stool samples done! Really? We didn't want a free room or anything but a simple goodwill gesture would have been nice opposed to accusations of lying. Would also like to point out that when I was sat in my car I saw 2 members of their kitchen staff outside spitting repeatedly on the grounds, charming!

• Stayed February 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petworth
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa
#2 of 17 in Petworth
The Stonemasons Inn
The Stonemasons Inn
#10 of 17 in Petworth

Been to The Halfway Bridge? Share your experiences!