“Fabulous”
Review of The Halfway Bridge

The Halfway Bridge
Ranked #3 of 17 Petworth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed at the Halfway Bridge following a search on TA. I'm so glad I booked here. Great location, on the road network, but still set in picturesque countryside.
I had a warm welcome and was shown over to my room, given a tour of the facilities like heating etc etc. very attentive.
I dined early, but have to say the team were lovely, even if I did get to hear all about the uni courses! The food was good, well cooked and presented, with a nice choice. The beer was excellent, and obviously the Halfway Bridge takes pride in its beers, with a great recommendation following a barrel running out.
Breakfast was excellent, nice tea, great produce and friendly service.
My room was well presented, a fantastic size compared to the usual corporate shoe boxes, and I have to say I had one of the best nights sleep for a long time, on a par with my recent trip to the excellent St Moritz in Cornwall.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Halfway Bridge, and am hoping to go back with my other half. Well done.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 17 June 2014

My wife and I visited today for a pub lunch. It was a beautiful sunny day so we ate outside in the walled patio area off the main bar (we thought the main outside area would be a bit noisy from the main road). It was very sheltered and warm with nice tables and chairs.

The menu was very enticing and in fact I could have chosen virtually any of the options. I chose a crab and crayfish open sandwich and my wife chose a Thai green curry. In my case washed down with a pint of a very flavourful locally brewed bitter. We both enjoyed our courses and finished off with puddings from the extensive selection.

The young lady who served us was very professional and pleasant without being at all pushy.

We'll certainly be making a return visit as part of our regular trips to Petworth.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a night whilst in the area for the polo.
It really is hard to fault anything about the place.
Fantastic country pub selling beer from just up the road and exciting looking wine list.
The room was lovely and comfortable and breakfast lovely.
Highly recommended and I will return when next at Cowdray Park.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My Family and I were looking for a Easter lunch venue half way between Wiltshire and East Sussex, we chose the halfway bridge and weren't disappointed. Excellent food, very attentive friendly staff and nothing was too much trouble. Highly recommend it! Thank you very much.
Lucy Anderson

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I booked a room here as a surprise birthday treat for my fiancée but it was just not up to standard so we checked out after one night.

We were allocated room 4. I would definitely not recommend this room. In my opinion the £155 a night price tag just is not justified. It was pokey and dark with tired paintwork and a very ordinary bathroom. Added to that the old DVD player kept freezing, the remote control was dead and the broadband internet was not working for most of our stay. A bathrobe or two and a light in the wardrobe so that we could see when making tea and coffee would not have gone amiss.

The bed was comfortable for me, although too short for my partner. Unfortunately, we think he had an allergic reaction to the feather pillows so our night's sleep wasn't great. Of course this was not the hotel's fault as I hadn't thought to ask about this in advance and to their credit the housekeeper did offer to exchange the bedding for hypoallergenic ones the next day.

We had our evening meal in the pub. The food was ok but, as with the accommodation, I felt it was overpriced. I had a green Thai chicken curry which lacked flavour and an apple and rhubarb crumble. The crumble was lovely but the custard which came with it was split. My fiancée had a pork dish which he enjoyed but at about £17 for this main, you would really expect it to have some vegetables with it instead if having to buy extra sides on top. Our breakfast in the morning was however pleasant with plenty of choice.

Overall we were very disappointed and decided not to waste any more money on a second night. I was expecting the duty manager of the hotel to contact me after we left but no-one bothered to ring or email.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank AMHThamesDitton
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We have just spent two nights in room 7. The room has everything you could possibly need. Clean, spacious and extremely comfortable. You could not fault it. I have recently stayed in a 4 star hotel in London that should certainly look at the standards set here ,so much better !!
The best thing by far about the stay was the wonderful staff. Amy and her team went out of their way to make you feel welcome and at home. Nothing was too much trouble.
The meals in the restaurant were great and breakfast was all you could desire.
We will definitely stay here again

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I booked to stay here last minute as due to be in the area for work. Not one for B&Bs I was a little anxious however the write ups on here gave a good review overall. When I arrived the booking site I used hadn't actually confirmed the room with the Halfway Bridge. This however was not made an issue by them and they swiftly took care of the situation. The lovely gentleman took my details and checked me into a room. He took me and my luggage over to the room and couldn't have been more helpful in showing me the rooms facilities and pointed out things like how to turn the towel rail on and off, the wifi, and where everything is. I settled in and then went over to the pub later in the evening. The manager was very helpful and was apologetic over the mix up, even though I hadn't mentioned anything. He seemed to know me and the situation. Being a lone female traveller he asked where I felt comfortable being sat and gave me options of being within the main bar area or out if the way. The service was brilliant and the food exceeded my expectations. The ox cheeks are highly recommended. The accommodation (room 6) was gorgeous. The bed was incredibly comfy, the room was very quiet and after a nice soak in the huge bath I slept like a log. The next morning I was greeted with a large cafetiere of fresh coffee and chose a cooked breakfast from the good selection from the menu. There was also a good range of cereals, yoghurt and fresh fruit and juices etc on offer. The high standards of service from the night before were continued in the morning and the breakfast was delicious. Although I was in the area for work, I would definitely come back and stay for a short break with my other half.... And next time I am in the area will definitely consider this place again. Absolutely highly recommended - thank you so much for looking after me.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petworth
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa
4 mi away
The Welldiggers Arms
The Welldiggers Arms
#4 of 17 in Petworth

Been to The Halfway Bridge? Share your experiences!