We've just returned from a superb weekend at the Halfway Bridge Inn. We booked our weekend away several months ago and looked forward to it with eager anticipation. Imagine our horror when the friends we were travelling with e-mailed us the two earlier reviews of this venue. We considered cancelling , but as it was a Bank Holiday weekend , our chances of finding alternative accommodation would have been slim. We decided to persevere with our original plans and how glad we are that we did.
Yes - the inn is beside an A road , but we didn't see a single lorry. The traffic if you can call it that consisted of 4x4's and horse boxes on their way to various equestrian events , together with the usual local traffic. The accommodation is in the Cowdray Barns , a converted stable block which is situated behind the inn and is about 150 yards from the A road.
We had booked two suites - our friends were in Suite 5 and we were in Suite 6. They proved to be two superb rooms with excellent facilities. Our room consisted of a separate lounge and bedroom with separate internal doors. The bathroom was between the two rooms. Alongside the bath was a sliding glass panel , which you could slide back to enable you to watch the 32 inch flat screen LCD television whilst soaking in the bath !!!!!
The bathroom also had a massive shower enclosure containg a power shower. Dotted around , were a selection of L'Occitane soaps and bath gels.
In our lounge , we had tea and coffee making facilities , together with complimetary shortcake biscuits and a bar of Cadbury's chocolate - a nice touch.
The bed was a king-size sled-style bed , with luxurious bedding including feather pillows.
In view of earlier reviews , we only commited ourselves to eat in the restaurant on the first night and decided to see how it went.
Dinner on the Saturday night was so good that we decided to book a table for our second night. This was almost a bad mistake on our part as they were only just able to fit us in. On both nights the inn was fully booked with very happy and contented customers , many of whom had travelled a reasonable distance to eat at the inn.
Dinner on both nights was both excellent and imaginative - the crispy duck starter is fantastic. The wine list is well thought out with good choice at an affordable price. We enjoyed the Gavi (an Italian white wine) chosen by our friends on the second night so much that we found ourselves drinking three bottles !!!!
On the Sunday of our stay , we decided to go to the horse races at Goodwood. As we wished to enjoy the day and relax in the bars at the racecourse , we decided to travel by taxi , so that we didn't have to worry about driving. When we asked our hosts for the telephone number of a local taxi firm , they kindly telephoned several local firms to obtain quotes , before booking a taxi for us for the RETURN trip and making the appropriate arrangements.
The taxi was booked for midday. When Sue saw us still waiting in the car park at 12.05 she took it upon herself to ring the taxi firm , before coming outside to tell us that our taxi was on it's way.
This was service the like of which none of us had experienced before.
Thank you Paul and Sue for a fantastic weekend. You are the perfect hosts and we will be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A cleverly styled mix of restful shades, contemporary furnishings and quirky original features, our suite’s decadent bathroom even allows you to watch a movie while you soak through its sliding glass partition! With an emphasis on boutique detail and maximum comfort, tea & coffee making facilities with fresh milk replenished daily and locally produced organic toiletries are indulgent finishing touches. For those quiet nights in each room comes equipped with flat screen TV and DVD and CD players. A selection of complimentary DVDs are also available. Exclusive booking of Cowdray Barns can be arranged for corporate use, wedding parties or artistic retreats. Please contact us for further details. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Agoda so you can book your The Halfway Bridge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Halfway Bridge Hotel Petworth
- The Halfway Bridge Petworth, West Sussex