“Lovely meal for my birthday”
Review of The Angel Inn

Ranked #2 of 17 Petworth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 June 2013

It was my Birthday today and we decided to visit Petworth House then have lunch. After consulting Trip advisor we decided on the Angel Inn and are very glad we did. From the moment we arrived the staff were very attentive. My Husband had the Crab cakes to start which were delicious. He then went on to have the Turkey escalope special (which he loved) and I had the Lamb Steak. I was a little concerned that I was not asked how I wanted the Lamb cooked but I needn't have worried. It was cooked perfectly pink and tasted wonderful. I went on to have the 3 chocolate Mousse. This was very rich (if I am honest a little too rich for me , but I got what I ordered and it was lovely).
Overall we had a great meal in very pleasant surroundings with polite and attentive staff. As we live in Portsmouth it is unlikely we will return, but if we are ever looking to eat in Petworth again, we would not hesitate to return to the Angel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Our family have just stayed in several rooms here before our daughter's wedding. What a lovely place. The staff couldn't have been more helpful, accommodating and friendly, and the rooms themselves were beautiful - very quaint with lots of old beams, four poster beds and floors that were on a slight slope. The bathrooms were all lovely, especially in our daughter's room, which had a sunken bath. All of the beds were very comfortable, and ther4e were TVs and tea making facilities. We also had dinner in the restaurant, and what a treat! There were 10 of us, but the food was not only first class, but served with no delays, even though the restaurant was full. I would definitely recommend the Angel Inn to anyone wanting to stay in a traditional, very comfortable hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I don't often eat out in Petworth. Especially lunchtime. Last week I had a hankering for steak and knew the only place to get one was The Angel.
Well done Chef. Superb ribeye ,cooked rare, to perfection with all the trimmings plus béarnaise sauce. One happy diner indeed.
It's not difficult to get right and I'm glad there are places nearby that know how! Thank You.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 June 2013

The original English inn, with a splash of luxury! A lovely olde world inn situated in the centre of this lovely rural town, the rooms are reached via a steep, narrow stairway, so not suitable for those with mobility issues. However, for the rest of us, the stairs, uneven floors and low beams of the accommodation never let the guest forget that they are staying in a piece of English history. That's not to say that it is devoid of all mod-cons! Quite the opposite. Spotlessly clean, four poster bed, TV, tea making facilities, toilet and shower, all IMMACULATELY presented. A little noise could be heard from downstairs during the first part of the evening, but I viewed that as a positive - this is after all a working English inn! All was quiet after 11pm.
Excellent choice of hot or cold breakfasts - I chose the full English and didn't regret it - and a bigger choice of different fruit juices that I think I've ever seen before.
Full marks to the Angel, it's management, and staff.

Room Tip: Room 2 had the four poster!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 June 2013

What a lovely place to stay! Our room was up some of the smallest stairs I have encountered in my life and in the eaves of the pub. Which sounds awful, but it was amazing. If you are looking for quaint, look no further! However, the bathroom was well appointed and modern. The beer garden at the rear is a lovely sun trap and my husband enthused about the real ale from the barrel.
Dinner was excellent and it was obvious that many of the diners were local. Always a good sign!
Breakfast was cooked to order, speedily, and the food was excellent. Definitely a 10/10 for this pub/inn.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I live in Petworth and know from what i see and here this is the most popular places in the area.
The staff and food are great and it has a nice atmosphere. I would always recommend it to any visitors. They always tell you to go where the locals go and this is where they go.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 April 2013

We stayed at the Angel Inn in Petworth after a wedding in the area and we had a wonderful stay. The bed in our room was extremely comfortable and the bathroom very high tech! The staff very very helpful and gave great recommendations for dinner when the restaurant downstairs was full. I would definately go again!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Caroline T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petworth
#3 of 3 in Midhurst
#4 of 17 in Petworth
The Old Railway Station
The Old Railway Station
#1 of 17 in Petworth

Been to The Angel Inn? Share your experiences!