“Great Last minute booking ”
Review of The Angel Inn

and 1 more site!
Ranked #2 of 17 Petworth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Great location & very friendly welcoming staff & a very nice owner who made himself known & showed us around the establishment giving us a bit of history too. Wonderful garden dining area & great restaurant area. Good choice of menu which catered for carnivores & vegetarians alike with tasty dishes for all. Good service reasonably priced with a warm atmosphere what more could you want.
Look forward to my next visit soon.…

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 August 2014

From the moment I entered The Angel I was made to feel welcome.
I stayed for 3 nights and enjoyed every minute of it.
Will ,the manager,and all his staff were excellent and most friendly,both in the evening and at breakfast.
The room was cosy enough and clean.They certainly didn't lack for character with its beams.Mind you dating back to the 14th century you would expect that in England.
The food was excellent.The menu varied enough offering a wide range of dishes to choose from.
The beer garden was lovely and very relaxing providing a cool break from the very hot conditions at the time of my visit.
Friends of mine dine regularly here and I can see why.

Room Tip: Not sure wether there are rooms to the rear of the property,but if there was that would be better fo...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I came to this beautiful pub yesterday for my friends 40th birthday - there were around 30 of us and am amazed how utterly fantastic it was - all meals were brought out together, which I know can be a challenge. All food was piping hot, delicious, tasty and the organisation o the team was superb - plenty of staff on to deliver a fabulous experience. I even had a lovely doggy bag of oil for the food I couldn't quite finish - the cauliflower cheese was out of this world and I had the rest later on last night. Gorgeous setting and spacious outdoors area - simply the best ! thank you to all the team - Verna Parkinson

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Had read the reviews before visiting the Angel, so was expecting great things, the interior, as everyone says is really nice, and the staff were very efficient, the starters were very good, i had the chilli prawns, I then had the steak, which in asked for rare, the steak was served on a board, very attractive, but I considered the steak was the raw side of rare and had difficulty in cutting it, as it was rather sinewy, so asked for a steak knife, the chips were all stuck together and could be picked up in lumps. Perhaps I was unlucky.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Suzanne S
YarrumSussex, Owner at The Angel Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

I would like to think that Suzanne S was unlucky and I apologise to her for being disappointed by her steak and the accompanying chips. We are frequently complemented on the quality of our steaks. The beef is reared in Scotland and our butcher hangs the meat for 28 days and in consequence our steaks should be of the best quality. I am not sure which steak Suzanne S ordered, I can only guess it was a Hanger steak which does have a sinew through the centre, that is the nature of the cut and the reason it is substantially cheaper than a rump or a rib-eye steak. Our chips are made in our kitchen from Maris Piper potatoes, again, I can’t say why they stuck together as they are cooked three times.

I thank Suzanne S for her positive comments about The Angel and I hope she will give us another opportunity to prove to her how good The Angel is.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I ate dinner here with a couple of friends this evening. I hadn't been to The Angel in Petworth before and found the exterior of the pub rather offputting. However I'd agreed to meet my friends there so in I went. What a surprise! It is lovely inside - roomy, light and airy with wooden fittings. There is a delightful garden at the back. The loos are fine (important for the ladies!)

At dinner, we were offered rolls and butter which we refused. My companions and I all had duck with a cherry sauce which was very nice (£14.50) - the portion was a good size. The vegetables were so-so. I chose a toffee creme brulee for pud (£5.75) which again was nice if a little runny. It came with a flavoured cream of some sort, a chocolate petit four and a strawberry. The plate looked very pretty. I chose a glass of Australian red (can't remember which one but it was £4.50 for a small glass). It was very nice.

The service was excellent and we were made to feel very welcome.

I would definitely recommend this pub/restaurant. Don't be put off by its lacklustre exterior.

Room Tip: I didn't stay here, but the hotel is on quite a busy road so I suggest you ask for a room at the...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank SoniaShoreham
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This 14th century hotel is a lovely place to stay.Although just a 2* the food and service are well above this rating.There is a delightful cool garden which was hosting a jazz festival from 4-7pm when we arrived on the Sunday - very pleasant. We stayed for two nights and ate in the garden both evenings. The service was very good - friendly and efficient, the food was delicious and our dog was made welcome. There is parking for residents. This seemed to be a popular place with locals of all age groups, deservedly so!

Room Tip: Quite narrow, twisty stairs.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We have just had an excellent lunch sitting in the beautiful garden in the sunshine. The roast beef was done just as we asked for with a good selection of vegetables and an enormous home made Yorkshire pudding. The sevice was quick and efficient, special thanks to Nicky, and our dogs were made welcome with a biscuit at the end of the meal. We shall be back!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petworth
#3 of 3 in Midhurst
#6 of 17 in Petworth
The Welldiggers Arms
The Welldiggers Arms
#7 of 17 in Petworth

Been to The Angel Inn? Share your experiences!