“Perfect Country Retreat”
Review of Roundabout Hotel

Roundabout Hotel
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Enjoyed a few days here for a combination of business and pleasure in the West Sussex area. Beautiful quiet location well placed for the most interesting towns and villages there, and a welcome change from impersonal 'chain' hotels who put events/conferences first and residents second. The building has quirky architecture and not as old as it looks, designed by a celebrated idiosyncratic architect in the 1930s - but art deco it ain't.

Bedrooms are spacious with king-sized very comfortable beds, spotlessly clean with modern trad, not corporate, decor. The restaurant is first rate and very reasonably priced for the quality, we were glad we had booked half-board as this was a real bargain. Very fresh local produce with an innovative menu, not the usual hotel fare. Good wine list, no excessive mark up. Breakfast saw top quality bacon, sausages etc and certainly not mean in quantity. We'd advise booking your weekend dinner tables early to get the time you want as these are busy nights when the locals come in for dinner/drinks too. We lunched out but must say the lunch menus were also above average, with discounted items pretty obvious. All staff were pleasant and cheerful, a very nice atmosphere. The manager even offered to carry our luggage upstairs which as we both have slight (invisible) disabilities was very much appreciated. Sophisticated but not stuffy. Special.

Wifi, freeview tvs, good quality toiletries, disabled parking, everything you could want except room service and newspapers, possibly too much to ask in a relatively small intimate hotel like this. I'd have no hesitation in recommending this to anyone on a romatic break or older family occasion - it might be a bit too intimate for small children tearing about making noise as residents here seemed to be romantic young or old couples and there is no suitable play area for very young children. Looking forward to returning there soon!

Room Tip: The rooms in the very nearby annexe might be quieter away from the main building, but this is a quie...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NubblerLondon
There are newer reviews for Roundabout Hotel

The Roundabout Hotel was the perfect location for my parents Diamond Wedding,
The food was excellent . All the staff delivered first class service. The tables
were set very professionally, and the room looked stunning. I would recommend this
Hotel and hope to visit again soon. Thankyou so much

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Angela B
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We recently stayed at the Roundabout Hotel whilst visiting the local area. The hotel has been beautifully renovated and clearly a lot of money has been spent on it. I do however echo what another poster has mentioned in that the hotel doesn’t appear to be a “happy ship”. The gentleman who checked us in was not particularly welcoming and made no effort to talk to us. Once we settled in our room we decided to have a wander around the hotel and get our bearings. We walked into the bar area and there was a certain “atmosphere” which made the bar quite unwelcoming and therefore we decided to eat out instead. On our return we sat out in the garden with drinks, but clearly the clientele the Roundabout attracts doesn’t make it a good choice for families and we did feel a little on “edge” as our children played in the garden. The family room we were given was excellent, extremely spacious and the bed was one of the best I’ve slept in. Breakfast in the morning was good, but again no feeling of being made to feel welcome by the same gentleman who checked us in. We also experienced the same manager “telling off” a member of staff who had come into the hotel on his day off to ask for an additional day off. If you need to tell the lad off, do so, but not in view of hotel guests. Check-out was at 11am, and the maid was already waiting at the door to begin her cleaning duties. She in fact was probably the friendliest member of staff we met during our entire stay at the Roundabout. Check out was relatively straightforward, but there again there was no “hope you enjoyed your stay”, “come and see us again” or “have a safe drive home”. Simply nothing which I found very odd indeed. Its only when I read some of the reviews on this website that I find our experience was not isolated.

The Roundabout is a lovely hotel in a stunning village, but the management clearly need to improve on their customer service skills if they wish to make this business a success. You can spend hundreds and thousands of pounds refurbishing a hotel, but without good customer service people will simply not return.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Airtours1996
Reviewed 20 August 2012

This recently refurbished hotel is highly recommended. Lovely atmosphere, nice helpfull staff. very very good food.
By adding disposable tooth mugs and a box of tissues in the rooms, this place would be perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for the turret
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wizard3110
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We stayed here for two nights at the end of June 2012. I believe the hotel was recently refurbished and although not my personal taste it has been done well. The double room was a little small but nicely furnished. The breakfast was also of high standard (fresh hot croissants especially) although they did manage to confuse our cooked breakfast order both mornings. We ate in the restaurant on the Saturday night and both the food and service was very good.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We have not stayed at the hotel and this review is based on eating there.

Both the bar and the restaurant area have been refurbished to a good standard and make pleasant areas to eat. Some of the decoration may be a little 'heavy' for some tastes.

We have eaten at the newly re-furbished Roundabout Hotel five times - as a couple and with friends.In total,allowing for meals eaten with friends,we have either eaten or seen about about 30 meals.Excluding one bar menu meal all others have been three course restaurant meals.
Between the Bar,Restaurant,and Specials menus there is a reasonable choice.Sometimes though the menus can be confusing (the same fish or meat sometimes appears on both the main menus and the Specials in slightly different formats and more than once I have seen the 'wrong' one delivered).

When the hotel first re-opened the food was excellent in terms of quality,quantity and presentation. Recently however this has not been the case - presentation remains excellent and quantity good but the quality has been very inconsistent. We and others with us have had some good meals but also had poor quality steak, both overcooked and almost raw fish, and badly cooked vegetables.

On a positive note the welcome and service from the waiters and waitresses is excellent - friendly,helpful and professional.

My only other reservation about the Roundabout is it does not seem to be a "happy ship". However good the management team are from a technical viewpoint from our experience they do not seem to be 'naturals' at welcoming or dealing with customers or staff (I too, like an earlier reviewer, witnessed an incident where i was left very uncomfortable about how a member of staff was being dealt with).

There is a real desire in West Chiltington for the Roundabout to be successful but for us,and many of our friends, more important than anything else for us to keep returning the food needs to be consistently good which has not been our recent experience. We'll probably try again in a few months.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank BOBOK777
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I hate confrontation, as much as giving bad reviews, but I need to say I'm so disappointed with the Roundabout Hotel.

On my suggestion, four girls (all local) decided to go there for the £11.95 set lunch menu that is advertised on the board outside. We are all pleased that it has been taken over and kept as a hotel and wanted to go and give some support, even though one of the girls had already been there with her husband and parents and had such a bad meal that they didn't pay. I've worked at a 5* hotel and I know that even they can have bad days from time to time, so my friend said she would give it another try. We were greeted very politely by the Manager who was smiley and cheerful and seemed like he aimed to please.

It was a lovely day, we had a table by the window and the bottom line was that lunch was delicious. We did have to wait a long time for our meals to arrive after being shown to the table which might have been an issue if there were only 2 of you.

One of the girls had to leave before the rest of us, and she was confronted by the owner outside asking whether she had paid the bill - however she explained that she had left her payment with us! The three of us took our coffee outside and it was probably the best coffee I've ever tasted - lovely.

However....... as I said before we went there to have their £11.95 menu which they were aware of as it was mentioned more than once by both the Manager and the waitress. When the menus arrived there were two - one was a loose sheet inside the menu folder, which we assumed to be the a la carte menu, and the other was inside the plastic leaves of the menu folder itself. At the top it said that for the £11.95 set menu you could choose either a starter and main course, or a main course and dessert and we all decided to opt for main course and dessert. We chose our main courses, it seemed really good value, and then later we chose our desserts.

When we asked for the bill however, they hadn't charged us for the special £11.95, the courses had been charged individually, so we just thought they must have made a mistake and queried it with them. The problem had arisen because they said we had chosen 2 main courses that weren't in the £11.95 offer - how had we done that? - because "apparently" some of the menu is printed in red and some in black and it's only the red courses that are available at that price. I say "apparently" because this was so NOT obvious that I could have sworn the whole of my menu was typed in black, I didn't remember there being any red on there at all so that was the impression it had made. We pointed out that we genuinely had no idea, no-one had explained the menu to us and inbetween chatting away together we just went ahead and ordered from what we assumed to be the right menu. Well - they weren't having any of it, the Manager said that it couldn't be more obvious on the menu and that "even elderly people can work this out!!" and the owner herself was quite abrupt and rude. When I said that surely we needed to have had this pointed out to us the owner said it should have been obvious that she couldn't have done sirloin steak for that price, she was now going to lose out because of this and the waitress would have to pay for it out of her wages!!! Poor girl...I said I didn't want the waitress to get into trouble because she was so good with everything else but she stormed off. Customer service? I don't think so. We were made to feel as though we were trying to diddle them, even though I kept saying that we honestly didn't realise.

The Manager did reprint the bill and took the £20 off that we had been over-charged but their attitude has unfortunately left a nasty taste in our mouths and I doubt that any of us will be returning, and when we have friends come down for a party and we can't accommodate them all then I'm sad to say the Roundabout won't be somewhere we shall be subjecting our friends and family to :o( The silly thing is, that instead of us telling all our friends and neighbours what a lovely time we had, that pales into insignificance compared to the memories we have been left with of their bad customer service. They lost out on £20 - what is that compared to their reputation....such a shame for them, and unfortunately us.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
The Castle Inn Hotel
#2 of 2 in Bramber
Best Western Plus Old Tollgate Hotel
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa

Been to Roundabout Hotel? Share your experiences!