“Brilliant food”

Roundabout Hotel
Chichester, United Kingdom
“Brilliant food”
Reviewed 25 January 2014

My husband and I visited a couple of weeks back. We had some fantastic food off of the A la carte menu. Beautifully presented and tasted delicious! Good service but found when ever we went to the bar there was never anyone there to serve us. We received a very friendly welcome from all the staff. I understand that a new management has taken over with new staff and a new head chef. You have already transformed the hotel. Thank you for a lovely evening and a very well done to the chef that made us our very tasty food. We will be coming back again soon and recommending this place to family and friends. Thank you again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
simon_green25, Manager at Roundabout Hotel, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Dear Pamala,

thank you for your feedback regards your recent visit to the hotel.

It's a great compliment to say we've transformed the hotel already, but we're just getting started!

We are launching our new improved lunch menu this week, along with afternoon tea.... and that's just the beginning.

We hope to see plenty more of you and your friends in the near future.

Simon Green

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Pulborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

We went to the Roundabout for dinner on New Year's Eve. Lovely hotel with gorgeous Christmas decorations and open fires. We had drinks in the lounge before moving to one of the restaurant rooms. We had a spacious table in a room that was full but not crowded. Starters of terrine and smoked haddock risotto were excellent. Main courses of crispy pork belly and duck were plentifull and tasty. The parsnip doughnuts are worth a special mention! Desserts were a bit sweet for my liking but I'm reliably told by my 2 other diners that they were excellent. We had our coffee and petit four in the lounge whilst we waited to herald the new year. Champagne was poured for us all by the friendly new management team. Thank you to all.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ToniH1967
simon_green25, General Manager at Roundabout Hotel, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Dear Toni,

thank you so much for your lovely review of our New Years Eve celebrations!

We look forward to seeing you again in the future,

Petworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Mmmm I was not very impressed sadly. The restaurant is spacious with lots of different rooms to sit in. The room we were shown into was empty but we were offered the seats with the poorest view of the garden?? We asked for different seats as the garden is pretty to look out on. The food was very mediocre. I had the terrine to start. A thin slice of brown and white mousse like stuff with a thin line of seafood in middle, no bread was given with this. My friend had the whitebate which was most definitely frozen with a thick crispy layer that was over cooked, not nice tasting at all. Main course was ok but could have cooked better at home. Service was slow and not at all attentive but waitress was pleasant enough. This is most definitely not a restaurant for a foodie or a good home cook. It is rather disappointing to spend money on a meal you could have cooked better at home. I am so glad to see this Hotel open again though and I wish them all the best for the future. If you get a new chef let me know.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Andrina L
simon_green25, General Manager at Roundabout Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Andrina,

thank you for your recent review of the hotel.

I noted that you stayed with us in October, since then we have indeed intorduced new management and a new head chef!

As you would expect, we do offer a straight forward relaxed style menu for our lunch options, with our fantastic value 2 courses for £11.95 deal. Perhaps our evening A la carte menu would be something you would be more interested in, as a foodie myself I can promise you there are some impressive and innovative dishes on the menu.

For example our "Country Terrine" consists of wild rabbit, pigeon and smoked duck, not typical ingredients that most people find in their home.

We'd love for you to come and give us a try again at some point, as you stated the hotel is beautiful and we appreciate all the feedback that our guests provide us with.

kind regards

Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Arrived late december very nice looking old hotel very warm and homely feel to it room very nice and comfortable made to feel welcome there had an evening meal which was nice and well cooked however the following morning we went for breakfast the full english which was not so good apart from that very good stay

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Kodoo,

thank you for your recent review of the hotel.

You'll be pleased to know our chef is working hard to ensure the standard of breakfast is p at the same level of the other meals provided throughout the day at the hotel.

We're glad you enjoyed everything during your stay, and l;ook forward to welcoming you back again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

A lovely stay over Christmas period and excellent food - especially good considering the hotel lost all its power over Christmas! We had the lamb and chicken ballantyne - delicious. Well done - would love to come back!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
simon_green25, Manager at Roundabout Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Annie,

thank you for the lovely review. and a thank you to all of our guests who stayed with us over a challenging Christmas period where we lost power on Christmas Eve.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future!

West Chiltington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Possibly the only hotel in England that makes a concerted effort to NOT welcome veggies. I have eaten here on a few occasions and it has been made VERY clear that veggies are not catered for. (I keep going there in the hopes it might improve as I am very local). On their breakfast menu it is printed that if you require a vegetarian sausage you needed to have ordered it the previous day. (Bit late once you have sat down for breakfast!) As I knew their unwillingness to cater for veggies due to being previously disappointed, the hotel was pre-advised TWICE before my arrival that a veggie breakfast was required. Sadly, I was not surprised when I sat down to breakfast that no provisions had been made to accommodate me at all. As a vegan,(which they had been advised) their offer of an omelette to compensate me was declined too. My full English Breakfast comprised of ...... one tomato.... and a handful of mushrooms that were so badly incinerated that no self-respecting chef would EVER have allowed them anywhere other than the bin. When the time came to pay the bill, the hotel did at least not charge me for my tomato. As a seasoned traveller and someone who regularly dines out, I am sadly very aware of how unaccommodating many establishments are towards veggies. It is indeed, an unexpected delight when a restaurant or hotel comes up trumps and has plenty of veggie options on the menu. The Roundabout Hotel, unfortunately has to rate as the very worst though. It is SO easy to cater for veggie breakfasts (without needing advance warning of their arrival). All you need is a frozen bag of hash browns, frozen veggie sausages, tins of baked beans and serve with mushrooms and tomatoes. Using up your old cabbage and potato to make bubble and squeak and pop them in the freezer couldn't be easier too. This is probably the fifth or sixth time I have now been disappointed at this hotel. I keep giving them another chance, like many locals, because we so badly want a nice hotel where we can spend our money!!! It is sadly becoming clear that we will have to spend it elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank 452Lorraine
Dear Lorraine,

clearly we were very disappointed to read your review of the hotel.

Without wishing to get in to detail, I feel the need to point out that we were informed that you were vegetarian over the phone by your mother, therefore we were led to believe that the provision of an omelette or some similar egg based dish would of been enjoyable for yourself.

We were not informed that you were a vegan until the day that you came to breakfast.

As you may or may not of been aware, we have only recently taken over management of the hotel, and as our reputation is growing in a very positive manner with the local clientele, it is disappointing to read such a negative review.

If you'd like to contact us on roundabout@relaxinnnz.co.uk , we'd be delighted to welcome you back in for vegan breakfast on the house, to show you some of the changes we have made in order to accommodate our guests with special dietary requests.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Most of my stays in hotels are never brief. I travel on business, therefore, usually it is more than just a few nights; more often months. I am currently staying at this hotel and am reluctant to relocate to another hotel where I would have access to shops and transport. I'm actually considering a hire car and remain here for the following reasons:-

1. The staff are very friendly and will go beyond the call of duty to assist in any way.
2. Rooms are very spacious, almost a suite in layout giving me an abundance of room for my
computer and business area.
3. Rooms are very clean, linen and bed very comfortable. (I find this point important)
4. Internet Bandwidth is excellent - this is not a compliment I give easily
5. It's quiet
6. Business meetings in the hotel areas are very suitable. They are well presented and of
course wireless internet access.
7. The food is tasty and well presented. The menu has a small selection of dishes which is
better than a restaurant giving you a huge choice but dishes are poor in taste and
presentation. Here they do their very best and the newly appointed chef makes concerted
effort to bring the best to your table. I have all my meals here and am very satisified indeed.

This hotel has been in transition and the new management (who truly are delightful) are
introducing changes which have been received very well. Breakfast is basic,nevertheless,
sufficient.

I have stayed in lovely boutique 5 star hotels in central London where every detail is 5 star, impeccably appointed in every detail, very posh but delightful and of course the price per room is priced accordingly.

This is West Sussex, the price is per room is very reasonable. Warm welcoming ambiance, lovely staff members who are warm and friendly and more than that, they are genuine. If they miss something, simply ask and they will jump to your request without hesitation.

I shall give another update over the next coming weeks, but currently I am very happy here and am very reluctant to move because I am not sure that I shall receive such welcoming service somewhere else. This is where the "grass on the other side of the fence" is not at all tempting.

I do recommend this hotel to anyone due to the fact that you receive such genuine friendly service by staff and management who truly make an effort. An enthusiastic friendly Chef who loves to deliver his best. Menu does change monthly retaining their customer's favourites. Great rooms, ever so spacious and cosy, lovely comfy big bed with great linen, good size LCD TV, Bath and shower. So, yes I am very reluctant to relocate and am looking at hire cars seriously.

Said honestly and sincerely,
Liz Barclay Wilson

PS: The meal I have displayed is a bar meal. You have a choice of restaurant or a bar meal.
Chips are great and I appreciate chips deep fried in clean oil.

Room Tip: I find the bed one of the most important factors in choosing a room. In Asia I ask to inspect the r...