“Fabulous Retreat!”
Review of The Landing

The Landing
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Enjoy freshly ground coffees, carefully prepared for you using specially sourced Java beans roasted the Neapolitan way. Enjoy your coffee with one of our fresh continental cakes or patisseries.We also offer light breakfasts/brunches, lunches, afternoon teas, plus specially selected organic wines by the glass, carafe or bottle, Italian brewed beer and a “grown-up” hot drink menu.Open at 8am daily (9am Saturdays and Sundays), till early evening.
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This is a wonderful cafe just on the edge of West Wittering. Perfect for brunch, lunch and afternoon tea . Superb friendly service. Wonderful cakes. Tasteful lunch menu and the best hot chocolate selection I have come across. The decor is funky and tasteful, there is a lovely courtyard garden and seating at the front (also dog friendly!) . As a nice touch there are also some lovely gifts for sale. Thoroughly recommend to all.

1  Thank Jackie C
joannas116, Owner at The Landing, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to write us a review, really glad you, and the dog, enjoyed your visit - its a dog walker's paradise down here. Look forward to seeing you again.

Joanna

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for sheltering us from the sudden cloud burst and reinvigorating us with truly fantastic coffee and homemade Victoria sponge cake (the best we've had since mum made it).

A warm welcome after a beautiful walk round the coast. We'll be back soon. Grant and Charity x

1  Thank Charity20
joannas116, Owner at The Landing, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear Grant & Charity

So glad the Great British weather brought your through our doors!! The good thing about being on the coast is that as quick as a shower can be blown in, it can be blown away so it's always worth taking the excuse to have a coffee and treat and not rushing off home. Now you've sampled our offerings we hope you'll be back "come rain or shine"!!

Joanna

Reviewed 3 April 2014

As the only cafe in the town, this place could probably whack its prices up a couple of pounds more than they are. It's not quite london prices. Inside and outside seating. Inside is a mixture of wooden / funky and arm-chairs. On the last day of March there were a mixture of walkers, tourist and locals (dog walkers and laptop workers). I think the day we went in the owner was training a new member of staff. There was a sign suggesting we could either order a the counter or wait t be served. We waited ..... but weren't acknowledged! The 'new girl' was clearing tables, but didn't really look at us to catch our eyes. Anyway - the food was a soup and bread (yummy) and my friend had a panini and a take out caramel slice- both very good. The £2.50 is a great addition to top up and good value. I did have to ask for that to come out after I'd finished my soup as it hadn't arrived! Not sure how this place might cope when at max covers in full season - but there is certainly good intention and a kind owner.

1  Thank ClareCHS
joannas116, Owner at The Landing, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We will certainly take your comments onboard and it was helpful to get informative feedback. Our sincere apologies for not acknowledging you initially, we always try and say hello when we can, sometimes we are busy in the kitchen.

Hope you visit us again soon.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Cycled the Salterns Way from Chichester and this was a perfect rest stop before the return journey. There was a useful bike stand just in front if the cafe and decent portions for healthy appetites. We left fully satisfied with our lunch and look forward to returning soon to this friendly cafe.

joannas116, Manager at The Landing, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review, so glad you left The Landing refueled and satisfied for your cycle back - its a lovely cycle track isn't it? We get a wide range of cyclists visiting from the "pros" to the "recreational's" and its great to see everyone enjoying the Great British Countryside! Hope you come and see us again soon.

Best wishes

Reviewed 8 March 2014

My partner and I went to they landing for a late lunch after a long walk on the beach main because we had heard that they do wheat/free gluten free breads and cakes as I have special dietary requirements.

I was very disappointed to be told that the only bread they did was the pre bought/made genius bread (which tastes awful whether you toast it or not) and if wanted it I was told that I could only have it toasted :-/ . The cake selection was poor too, it was pre wrapped rubbish and didn't look at all edible.

I can't eat wheat based products or pork I was quite limited to what I could chose from the menu, so opted for a goats cheese and caramelised onion chuckney jacket potato with a side salad for £7.95

When it arrived there was no red onion chuckney, so I got up and asked the lady serving us for some, she looked at me rather strangely (like she had been caught out doing something wrong) and said ' you want some onion chuckney???'

It transpired that they didn't have any and that they knew they didn't have any when they took my order and hoped for some bazaar reason that I wouldn't realise this when my order came:-/

She offered me mayo, more butter or chilli sauce, but they don't go with goats cheese and it's not what I ordered/wanted or what I was paying for and had I known the they didn't have any chuckney I would of ordered something else or gone with out.

The jacket potato skin was very hard and brittle like it had been reheated several times in oil in oven

Even more shocking, the waitress came up our table and proceed to embarrass my partner and I In front other customers ( some that we knew from our village!!!) by getting funny with me and then being embarrassingly desperate to rectify the situation of her missing selling me a meal by offering me a cake (which she knew I couldn't eat), money off and then the meal free!!!!

Both my partner and I where so embarrassed we kept our eyes down to the table while we ate and then paid and left very quickly

We did pay for the meal, however I do not like or appreciate being mislead about something that I'm paying good money for and do not appreciate being humiliated in front of strangers and people I know so that someone can cover for THEIR mistake.

I would never set foot in there again and def would not recommend it anyone.

joannas116, Owner at The Landing, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear Reviewer

Firstly may we apologise and express our disappointment that you didn't enjoy your lunch/visit to The Landing.

We do try and cater for various dietary requirements, as best a small independent cafe can, offering freshly delivered gluten free macaroons, Honeybuns cakes and Genius bread which have proved popular and welcome by our gluten free customers.

We are sorry to have humiliated/embarrassed you by making conversation with another couple. We shall be more careful in future.

We didn't want to charge you for your lunch as we don't believe anyone should if we have failed in anyway or it was not enjoyed but the person paying the bill rather insisted and in the end we came to a compromise by agreeing to a discount.