“Heaven on Earth~ Truly the best!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Isabel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yelapa
Casa Isabel
Atlanta, Georgia
“Heaven on Earth~ Truly the best!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2011

What an amazing get-away. My wife and I were looking for a place to get away, unplug and tap into the beauty of Mexico and we could not have found a more magnificent place. We flew into Puerto Vallarta and took a easy cab ride to a interestingly not existent pier (made it so much more fun and adventurous) where we got to roll up our pants and jump into the water Taxi. It was a 30-45 minute water taxi ride to make it to Yalapa. We were dropped off at the main pier and it was only a short walk to Casa Isabel. We were greeted by the lovely Beverly. Beverly is such a sweet woman who has been instrumental in the creative beauty that you will experience. We felt as though we were "family" as we learned so much about her and we wonderful story. It was such a treat to get to know her and we look forward to coming back if only to get to spend time with Bev.

We had the privilege of staying in Yolocalli for the first 5 nights of our stay. I would say that it is the best place on the property (although all of them are amazing). All of the lodging is very eccentric and creative masterpieces. There are no real walls in this unit and you have a breath taking view of the bay. We saw dolphins and on one occasion, my wife spotted a whale! This unit is nestled beside a wonderful small creek and waterfall. You hear the water and still get an amazing view of the Bay. It has a large bed with a mosquito net and a place to lock up all your valuables. We felt extremely safe here and truly enjoyed all of the space in this unit. I spent most of my day exploring around the property, taking some amazing photos, relaxing in the hammock, journaling, hiking to the falls, and honestly simply enjoying the beauty of Mexico and Casa Isabel.

We chose to move closer to the beach and stay in the Beach House. It is a smaller and more quaint living space with more walls but this one has a wonderful fire pit. The water is so close to you and it is majestic being able to fall asleep to the waves crashing on the rocks just several feet away from where you are sleeping. Both of the units we stayed in (as with all of the units) have composting toilets and most have flushing pee toilets that refresh the amazing vegetation around each unit. Speaking of vegetation, it is STUNNING to be surrounded by so many beautiful plants that provide plenty of privacy for you as well as great snacks (limes, oranges, bananas, etc).

Don't come to Casa Isabel if you are high maintenance and want all the "luxuries" of a hotel or resort. This is not the place for you if you are looking for that. If you are looking for immense beauty, wonderful hospitality, a TRUE "eco" facility and you are looking to have a unique mexican adventure, Casa Isabel is for you! You will not be disappointed at all, in fact, I would bet you too will come home ready to book another trip to this amazing place.

Thank you Beverly and Chris for continuing Isabel's vision and for an amazing time! Thank you Bill for helping us arrange our time there! It was truly an honor to get to know you all! Looking forward to coming again!!!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are GREAT. If you can afford Yolocalli, go for it. It is worth it. Stay for as l...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Fort Collins
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2011

If you want a vacation off the beaten path, and to be immersed in the authentic culture behind Mexico--go to Yelapa and stay at Casa Isabel. We were just there last week and we already want to go back--it was the BEST VACATION OF OUR LIVES (not over-exaggerating at all). We stayed in Casa Yolocalli, and it was so gorgeous. It had a nice kitchen with pots, pans, plates and silverware. The casa had a nice couch where I laid down to read a lot, and the shower was super nice. We were able to go to the local market and get ingredients to make our own lunches and dinners. Playa Isabel is RIGHT outside the gate, and it is a beautiful little beach--perfect for swimming or launching your kayak/paddle board. The open air part of the casa was great. We fell asleep to the sound of the waves crashing and the waterfall...it was glorious! Our bed was really comfortable, and the mosquito netting kept us bite-free at night. A woman named Bev runs the place and she is absolutely amazing. Anything you need, she'll make it happen.This place is magical and I highly suggest it to anyone who doesn't mind getting closer to the atmosphere and being a part of the environment. Pick your own limes, oranges, bananas and papayas RIGHT on the property! So cool!

Room Tip: If you want some privacy and it's just you and your loved one, stay in Yolocalli. If you are SOL...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2011

We spent 3 nights here right after New Years. Most of the accommodations in Yelapa are indoor/outdoor. Staying at Isabel felt like staying in a garden. The main area of the hotel was surrounded by flowers and hummingbirds and our bedroom overlooked a waterfall. Isabel is very quiet as it is further away from town, which around new years can be a big plus. Like much of a yelapa it's a bit of a walk and can take a good 20 minutes to get to the main beach. Most of the casas we saw in person looked nothing like their online photos. We actually thought Isabel's online photos did not do it justice.

Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2011

The water taxi can drop you on the playita de isabel (isabel's beach) directly below the casa(s). A short walk up to 'central' to check in and meet the amazingly down to earth and kind folk - beverly and bill, judy and valerie, and more!
We had booked the 'gatehouse' but found upon arrival that it was 'out of commission' and we had been moved to the 'passion palace' - a fine choice! Very artistic with touches, quiet sounds of birds and waves, our curtains opened onto a view of the bay with nothing obscuring but trees and palms.
we used the kitchen and central house openly, never a moment of hesitation - we just made ourselves at home! Judy and Valerie had the best recommendations for our visit - they were spot on each time!
This place has a variety of accomodations to suit every taste, from very private, to more open and communal with privacy as well - such as we had!
The Yoncalli palapa was what we'd like to stay in next.....to die for details and privacy - worth the cost!
We enjoyed staying a bit away from the village and "The Beach" for we were seeking quiet moments and serenity - we found it!
Upon leaving a boat picked us up at Isabel's beach - never having to lug our backpacks and gear down to the pier.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank eshsunshine
Bainbridge Island, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2010

Since 2005, not only have my husband and I, but our whole family has vacationed at Casa Isabel. During Isabel's life, my teen daughter worked an an intern for her, and I keep going back each year to meet with a women's circle.

When Isabel was alive, the place was dominated by her outstanding energy, mesmerizing stories, beautiful presence and genuine warmth, as well as the garden paradise she nurtured over the 38 years of her life there -- today, Isabel's spirit and generosity and the beauty of the natural environment there continues to pervade what many call "the Jewel of Yelapa," Casa Isabel. And the work Beverly Taylor and her husband Chris, long time residents of Casa Isabel has transformed it into an even more beautiful place to stay.

This November, we stayed 3 weeks at Casa Isabel and I met during one of them with my women's circle. We had a great time. It was like being in a Walt Disney movie for the awe and amazement we experienced at the dozens of butterflies per hour that flew in and out of the open air palapas. Except for the harmless carpenter ants that would have liked to take up residence in our beds (this is their world more than ours) and the scorpions that would have preferred to remain invisible (this is the jungle, remember) and the little flies that wanted to eat our ankles for dinner (a small annoyance in exchange for a huge amount of fulfillment, joy and awe to be in such a glowing natural setting where we could breath without toxic chemicals sprayed all over the place) our experience of being in Yelapa at Casa Isabel was 10 out of 10!

The weather was incredible, the sounds of nature (which we could hear due to our location in Yelapa away from the happy noise of the village celebrations and dances at night) soothed our souls. It was the rest and joy we needed.

The palapas we stayed in were Casa Annie and Casa Deeanne. From our bed at Annies, we could see through the mosquito net as we awoke each morning, a majestic sunrise -- the sky, first salmon orange, then white, then blue emerged from behind what must be a 100 + year old strangler fig tree located in the main courtyard. It spread over the sky i the distance from where we lay. And from our chairs in the evening, we looked out over the enormity of the ocean in the curve of the horizon, observing manta rays and flying fish in the glistening end of day sun.

At this time of year, we were able to pick passion fruit straight off the vine hanging over the roof of our bathroom and pick up giant avocados from the ground for supper. Beverly, who hand-crafted the new building projects at Casa Isabel crafted a sink in this bathroom with a stunning conch shell through which the water flowed. Truly a piece of art!

Casa Isabel is not a place for people who are looking for a super chic spa-like experience. There aren't many of those in yelapa -- but that is NOT what we are looking for anyway. It is for people who adore and cherish nature, who want to get away from technology, phones, email...and really have an experience of the simple pleasures -- the inner experience so often denied us by our hermetically sealed, sanitized, manicured lives, and shut in single family residences -- it is a collective experience with a lot of privacy... a chance to be with nature, our natures, and be in touch with our bodies, souls, and spirits. Not that you can't use your cell phone - you can, but I suggest trying not to too much!

Casa Isabel is a soulful place. It is an artful labor of love. Unique, special, a secret treasure -- with just enough of the real world, the natural world, to keep us mindful and conscious rather than lulled into a false sense of "safety." It is the jungle, remember!

All I can say is I've had some of the most memorable romantic moments, delicious community feeling, privacy, rest, relaxation, and deep sleep at Casa Isabel.

And last but not least -- Beverly Taylor is one of the most brilliant body workers I've ever had. Every year I wait to have bodywork with Bev. She is the best. I've been to Esalen Institute and traveled all over the world. I came to Yelapa this year with a 10 week old/ mending broken leg -- and I also got hit by a wave while on a distant beach, which hurt my knee and frightened me greatly as I worried I might have re-injured my leg. Bev checked me thoroughly and put me back together a couple times while I was there, to the amazement of my women's group. They watched me hobble up to Bev's and walk gingerly back! When I got home and went to my doctor, he said, "you had excellent attention, and your acupressurist was totally correct in her diagnosis." There are no words to describe the value of being at Casa Isabel... it's mind, soul, body, spirit rejuvenating.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2010

This was my second trip to Casas de Isabel and it already feels like a home away from home. Beverly and Chris, who manage the place, did everything they could to make us feel welcome. I was staying there with a small group on a yoga retreat... the location is simply perfect - not too far from the village, but far enough to give open views across the ocean. The palapas are well-maintained, with interesting artistic touches that give us an idea of the special person Isabel was. Staying in a palapa, watching the sun set over the Pacific, and hearing the low hum of the surrounding jungle made this place the ideal one for our retreat. I have stayed in two palapas at Isabel's now - both Gaia at the top of the hill - with breathtaking, world class views, and in Pepe's, down near the beach - that is private and sweet. The central house is also great gathering place. On the last night, Beverly arranged a bonfire under the stars.

I rate this place highly - it has its own beach, fits the environment well, is comfortable, and overall - extremely beautiful... unforgettable, like Yelapa.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2010

Casas de Isabelle is in a great location. Our palapa overlooked a small canyon with a small waterfall and also had a view through the trees to the ocean. But the structure was open on all four sides, so cold wind blew through all night long. This, coupled with a hanging, swinging bed resulted in no sleep. When I opened up my suitcase on the table next to the bed, several items fell into the canyon. The manager did not respect our privacy and came into the palapa many times, without asking. The shower was lovely but the "bathroom" consisted of two plastic buckets with toilet seats on them. One of the buckets was open on both ends and went straight into the canyon. The price is very high and we found a lovely, larger place that was less expensive.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank JungleGal
Isabelcasa, Manager at Casa Isabel, responded to this review, 9 November 2012
Casa Yolocalli, the casa this reviewer stayed in, has been completely rebuilt into an artistic and romantic showpiece since JungleGal stayed here. Also, her visit was in that transition period between when Isabel passed away and before Bev had assumed responsibility for Casa Isabel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yelapa
Hotel Lagunita
Pedregal Palace Hotel
#226 of 305 in Mexico City
Casa Pericos
#2 of 6 in Yelapa

Been to Casa Isabel? Share your experiences!