“Rude management”
Review of Casa Isabel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yelapa
Casa Isabel
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Casa Isabel doesn't have a phone number on their website.
Since I'd never been there before, I had questions about the number of steps, how steep the hills were just to get an idea on whether I could take my mom there and if she could handle it. A few simple questions such as, which rooms do you have in such dates and how far are those rooms from the beach. Do you have food on premises and if not not stock the fridge service you mention, how much does it cost.

SO, I emailed them and asked them if I could talk to someone on the phone. I offered that if they didn't have a skype, or any other toll free number, I didn't mind making a long distance call and call their local landline at the hotel.

Mari, who responded to my email left me a voicemail, right from the start had a very tense tone. Her voicemail started with, "Look I don't like talking on the phone, we just books rooms here and we do it over email, but if you still want to talk, call". So I was startled by this voicemail but I called.
On the phone, she said, "this place is difficult, you don't understand, this is a third world country, there are no cars, DO YOU UNDERSTAND?" she raised her voice.
Now, I understand very well, having lived in the middle of the jungle in costa rica and spent years in third world countries. It sounded like she was extremely frustrated with being there herself.
She kept going about, don't bring your mom, don't come...
Everything she said had a negative and a NO.

When I learned that she was the booking agent and not the owner, I made a call to the owner, hoping that I had just ran into a crazy person but the owner would be more hospitable.

Beverly the owner, sounded tired and irritated as soon as she picked up the phone, even before she knew what I was calling about.
When I told her about the conversation with her booking agent, she refused to listen or help.
I told them I'd be writing reviews about this experience. So here it is.

I just recommend that, if you want to go to this place, pick up the phone and talk to someone there, see if you like their vibe. I would never want to spend my vacation in a hotel that has people with such negative vibes.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Isabelcasa, Owner at Casa Isabel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

We regret that this prospective guest had a bad experience interacting with us over the telephone about a possible reservation. The blunt-spoken volunteer whom she talked to has moved on.

This is not the experience you will have when you come to Casa Isabel, where we are known for our hospitality to the guests of this peaceful and lovely spot.

Our preferred method of communication is e-mail, since the daily demands of making things beautiful for guests in this challenging jungle environment does not allow reliable telephone contact.

Reviewed 24 April 2013

The two of us have been to Yelapa before, twice staying at Casa Isabel. This time we were in Casa Jade again (it used to be Casa Deanna) the end of March and beginning of April. The weather was warm as well as the seas. Swimming Kayaking and Snorkeling a pleasure. We paid on line and had communications with the managers (our friends Bev and Chris). I don't know why these folks didn't seek out someone to welcome them as people are friendly and somebody knows where Bev and Chris are. One can go to Casa Central to find a friendly face. I love that it is rustic and open to nature. We did a lot of bird watching from our swinging King bed! After a day of climbing up 100 steps to our palapa we were getting stronger and it is just great to feel healthy and strong. I am 70 and my partner is 64 and we at first wondered if we should have stayed at Peppi's, a lower palapa. But no we rejoiced in being higher, more private, with beautiful views and getting stronger. Our palapa had a remodeled bedroom (the one with the King bed looking out over the canyon) and a new bathroom with 2 sinks and 2 toilets, one for pee and one for #2. It felt great to shower out doors with solar hot water and just be with nature, the birds, flowers, wind and sun. The weather was different every day and one can relax and feel the changes with in yourself and without. A very spiritual place. We love it there and it feels like family to us. We will be back soon.

Room Tip: Be ready to walk and go up steps every day. Be ready to enjoy the sounds of the sea and the birds...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Having been to Yelapa on previous occasions we thought we would try Casa isabel for a few nites stay over.
The only advantage with staying at this property is that the water taxi from PVR stops directly in front of the property. Besides that I would not reccomment the property since there are too many steps to climb to get to the various casitas that they rent out. No one around to say hello or to give any assistance to you in figuring out how things are done and where things are.
Everything is very crude but artzy. Not the cleanest.
There are NO windows or doors on the units.
There was a frig, stove etc.
Shower had hot and cold water. Bathroom / toliet had a flush pee toillet and a poop bucket with saw dust. The sleeping area had a comfortable king bed, and screening that dropped down over the bed to protect you at night from the flying or crawling pests.
On a few night blankets were needed for warmth..
There was absolutely NO ONE available to meet us on arrival. NO one to explain how to get things done at the casita, There werent even tissues or paper towels for wiping things up around the kitchen.
I finally figured out how to get the frig turned on to keep some of our fruit and cereals, yogurts, that we brought from PVR cold and protected from the bugs etc. I had to find a broom to sweep all the leaves that had blown into the casita from the high winds that occurred earlier in the day.
When we departed a few days later no at the property every came by to check how things were. Since we paid in advance on the Internet and we just packed our bags after 4 days and left.
I will say that the jungle scenery was beautiful and the view was great, but it was beyond rustic. The 50-70 steps up the our casita were made from rocks and not even spaced making the climb up older than 45 yrs old this is not the place for you. This is not a place where linens and the bathroom are cleaned daily.
Not highly recommended.

Room Tip: I would never stay at this facility again. The south end of Yelapa is for the strong hearted and adv...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank GARY W
Isabelcasa, Owner at Casa Isabel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2013

We regret that this guest had a less than fabulous time at Casa Isabel. I appreciate his efforts to be thorough and fair in review, and agree that Casa Isabel is for strong-hearted, outdoorsy people. However, permit me to doubt his arbitrary age limit of 45. Until Isabel died at age 81 she still scampered around the property like an excited child. Isn't the main factor whether one still lays claim to the human potential to be agile at any age?

We do not meet guests at the beach. In the exhaustively detailed "Arriving Gracefully" document we send guests prior to arrival, we recommend that guests wanting help up the hill with suitcases just leave them inside the main gate right above the beach, then come rustle us up. There are no chocolates on the pillow or turned-down beds here, but we'll bring you a basil bouquet and show you the kitchen compost depot beside which you can harvest fresh limes.

When I heard this couple arrive in Yolocalli, I was double-booked with bodywork, and thus unable to soothe and ground them with caring inquiry and tales of wonder. My husband went down within minutes and ended up plugging in the fridge and sweeping out the clean leaves that the fall-in-spring months bring. How can he be called nobody? He referred the guests to our "Essential Jungle Etiquette" document, a detailed telling of what is what at Casa Isabel, but noted that they were more intent to get online than to settle into present space.

Our email guy warned us that this couple could be like a fish out of water here, and thus I tried twice to visit and reassure, only to find them away at wedding festivities. They ended up receiving less attention here than normal, but I suggest that the 17 e-mail exchange they initiated prior to a two night stay counts as an extra-ordinary level of service rendered.

It is remarkable that this couple found Yolocalli very rustic because our consistent feedback is ooh-la-la. This cultural gap is well illustrated in summer get-away adventure stories. This couple very much enjoyed five-star hotels and fine dining in Las Vegas and several capital cities of Europe. My husband and I added rebar to the cargo rack of his 4x4 and tied on a covered-wagon tarp tall enough to stand up under. We threw in a plush folding bed, a polyphonic piano and a paraglider, packed a cooler and single-burner stove in the backseat, and then gypsied off to spontaneously explore the warm-heart of Mexico.

I love that our planet accommodates such a large variety of people. We will incorporate this feedback into our very detailed website to further insure that potential guests know just what to expect.

Reviewed 13 January 2013

I found Casa Isabel on the internet, read the reviews and booked 2 casitas for my family (husband and 3 adult children) right after New Year's 2013. We were looking for something different from the huge resorts of Puerta Vallarta and we found it. We loved the unique architectural features of our rooms and the fantastic views of the ocean and the quiet and peacefulness of the location. The 3 young people had Casa Elemental, right on the beach. The best part was the roof top terrace. My husband and I had Canopy Camp, and it was fabulous with open views to the beautiful tree above it. Kitchens are well-equipped and whenever we asked for anything, Bev and helper Bob were extremely helpful. As others have noted, Casa Isabel isn't for everyone. There are steep steps (but we senior citizens navigated them o.k.) and the ocean at Casa Elemental can seem loud to some (relaxing to others). We would definitely return and recommend it to others. In addition, to Casa Isabel, we would recommend the walk to the distant waterfall (start early so you can have a late lunch at Christina's vegetarian restaurant on the way back) and a boat trip out to the islands which Bev arranged for us through her landlord Severino. He had with him a wonderful young man who took us on snorkeling adventures and we saw whales. If you're planning a trip to Puerto Vallarta, take the boat to Yelapa and stay at Casa Isabel and skip the high rise hotels of PV.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Came here last April for holiday and had a really great time.

The owners are extremely eccentric and the joint has a hippie vibe. That said, everything was clean, lots of towels and kitchen was well stocked. Water taxi drops you off in front of the building and the private beach is nice.

We bought groceries and cooked all but 1 meal at Casa Isabel. Highly recommend taking spices and bringing some groceries from Puerto Vallarta, if staying for a more than a day or two.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank appyrae
Reviewed 6 November 2012

The Beach House at Casa Isabel is right on the water with a beautiful flowering privacy hedge so that people from the private little beach out front, Playa Isabel, can’t see in but you still have a great view of the bay. There is a private yard out in front where you can sit in seclusion in a lounger to gaze at the night sky while listening to the waves or you can take a lounge chair over to the other side of the yard where you can sit under the shade of the trees in the jungle with an unobstructed view of Playa Isabel. Most of the time the beach is deserted but often during the hottest part of the day the locals will bring their children to play and cool down which can be fun to watch or listen to. The Beach House is a very cozy and self-contained palapa with everything you will need for a comfortable vacation. It is perfect for a lone traveler or for a couple. Everything is open to the outside so you can catch the ocean breezes and there is a fan available if you need it during the hot summer. The Beach House is built right into the side of the hill by the beach and integrated into the jungle. The shower has a roof made of bamboo branches next to the fire pit area among the bamboo trees. The compost and flush toilet area has a boulder overhang for a ceiling and rock walls with a fantastic view of the ocean. The living area has the kitchen, dining area and bed where you have a lovely view of the ocean, even when lying in bed you can see the water.
The jungle on the Casa Isabel property is the most beautiful of The Point. All of the palapas of Casa Isabel are very unique and are constructed to blend in with the environment, along with being eco-friendly. Every palapa is private with their own spectacular view of the surrounding jungle and ocean. The Beach House along with Elemental is right next to the ocean so the sound of the waves is louder there than in the other palapas. Yolocalli is a little further away from the ocean up the hill and is near the stream and waterfall next to the canyon. It has a wonderful view of the ocean through the jungle trees with the soothing sound of the waterfall and waves. This location picks up the Wi-Fi from Casa Central really well. All of the palapas are designed to have line of sight privacy from each other.
Yelapa is a very relaxing and healing environment and after 2 weeks I felt more healthy and refreshed than I had for longer than I can remember. Yelapa has a built in exercise program because you have to walk where ever you want to go or you can take a water taxi across the bay from Casa Isabel to go to the main beach or pueblo for shopping and restaurants. I always felt safe in Yelapa and while staying at Casa Isabel. The locals and expatriates who live in Yelapa are very friendly and interesting. I would stay at Casa Isabel again, in any of the palapas, next time I’m in Yelapa. Each one is beautifully and thoughtfully built with very unique and creative touches and can be very inspirational for an artist of any level. But most important of all, I was able to have an ideal vacation there. I was able to have all of the alone time I needed without feeling lonely. Beverly and Chris were always very helpful for anything I needed. I would highly recommend Beverly’s acupressure massage treatments and to go tandem paragliding with Chris. I also recommend the services of Yelapa Connexion for fridge stocking before your arrival and for Carolyn’s other services, she was also very important in making my vacation wonderful.

Room Tip: The sound of the ocean can be very loud at the Beach House and Elemental. Yolocalli and Pepe's h...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Yelapa is an experience for the intrepid traveler--this is not a luxury experience. It is, however, magical and special. We saw humpback whales every day during our stay in the bay. I stayed in Casa Deanna with friends, which was sunny, private and had wonderful views. It was a bit of a hike, but more hiking=more sun+more privacy here. I stayed one night in the Nook, and would not recommend unless you can tolerate mold. I can't, and ended up (unsuccessfully) trying to sleep outside in a hammock. The hosts were very welcoming and accommodating, even inviting me to join their dinner (since I was solo) my last night. I would go back. Bring flashlights or headlamps, the town does not have many street lights and the path back is rocky/uneven. Bring sturdy shoes.

Room Tip: the closer you are to the beach, the less private and sunny, but also easier to come back to from di...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Isabelcasa, Owner at Casa Isabel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2013

Thanks for the vote of confidence. We are so sorry about mold in the Nook, and have become hyper-alert to the state of the woven-mat "patates" which make up the walls. They were fresh and new, and thus moist and susceptible to mold in our humid jungle. We also instituted more cross-ventilation. The Nook is our gift to the budget traveller, continuing Isabel's desire that almost anyone can afford to stay at Casa Isabel.