“Yelapa experience”

Casa Pericos
Ranked #2 of 6 Yelapa B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 20 August 2012

This was such an out-standing 'get-away'... Casa Pericos was a beautiful oasis in the jungle. Yelapa itself is a great place to visit if you're in the area, but CP is extrodinary! The building is gorgeous, the setting beautiful, the furnishings beyond expectations and the service couldn't be better anywhere in the tropics, maybe in all of Mexico! An open air suite with vistas beyond compare - everything we needed for a wonderful weekend in Paradise! (Even their famous thunder-storm!)
Mi amigo and I spent two nights in Vista Romantica (# 2) and we both thought it was perfect! Mi amigo loved the bathroom, bigger then my living room! Two shower heads ! I loved the open living area with wonderful views; lounges and a table for dining or games virtually over the bay! One night we enjoyed an 'in-house 3 course dinner' orchestated by Carolina, the concierge. OMG it was the best. Imagine going to a fine restaurant for a great dinner and not having to drive home afterwards. (We fought over the left-over tortilla soup!) Carolina was there for everything we wanted or needed (even if we didn't now we needed it)... porters to being our luggage to, and from, the resort; recommendations to sights to see, what restaurants to visit, etc. The walk to the waterfall. even the walk TO this place is interesting! Couldn't tell you how great our 'mini' vacation was! Check it out for yourself!

Room Tip: The swimming from the near-by beach, Playa Isabel, was better then at the big beach, and fewer touri...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Gingerita

Reviewed 5 June 2012

I was looking for a reasonably priced but luxurious vacation as a birthday surprise for my boyfriend. I did a ton of research and landed upon Casa Pericos. It truly exceeded my expectations! I've traveled a ton and I have to say that this was one of my favorite places to stay in the world- I regret that we only stayed for three nights.

We rented the penthouse in mid May. Prices were reasonable (esp because rainy season was about to begin) and the weather was perfect! I'd originally planned a ton of activities with Carolyn (the affable and knowledgeable concierge who lives right next door). But when we got there, my "must plan every minute of the day" attitude melted away immediately. You won't be able to help it, to be honest. Even if you're a crackberry type A personality (like I can be), this place will convert you.

What did we do? We walked into town and back every day, we lazed on the beach, we ate like kings, we took a lot of naps and snorkeled in the amazing fish filled waters right in front of the house, and we loved every second of it.

The town itself had basically shut down- tourist season was over. The waterfalls were trickles. But we still found places to eat and also cooked ourselves breakfast each day with materials from Carolyn's concierge service.

The penthouse is truly magical. I'd let slip almost every aspect of the surprise vacation to my boyfriend but luckily, the best surprise was Casa Pericos' extreme beauty. It was a surprise to both of us to be honest! The pictures really don't do it justice. Palapas are completely open and that breeze is so comfortable! The wildlife and ocean lull you to sleep (I wore ear plugs because I'm a light sleeper), and every aspect of the decor was just jaw dropping.

I can't say enough positive things about Yelapa and Casa Pericos. Amazing food, amazing fun, amazing vacation. This was the ideal honeymoon for us, before our wedding planning had even begun! Highly recommended.

If you're not super mobile, I wouldn't suggest this house because the stairs are steep and the walk into town is more of a short hike on rugged terrain. For the same reason, wouldn't recommend this locale for children. But for everyone else, you won't find a better destination to chill out. I'll point out that you do need flashlights if you want to walk around at night.

But staying in is equally fun. They have all sorts of games available and you can just cook at home. They've anticipated that it can be a kind of torture to completely tune out, so they have free wifi, free calls to the US, an ipod dock for late night dance parties, and that's really just the beginning. Don't miss out on the zen pool (like a sensory deprivation tank, very romantic), canoodle on every bed and lounge area (3 big beds, couches, big day bed), ogle the fertility cabinet from East Timor, avail yourself of the free snorkel gear and best snorkeling in Yelapa at your footstep, the bbq, the kayaks... and most importantly, spend as much time as you can day dreaming in the ocean breeze.

We're definitely going back to Casa Pericos as soon as we can!

Room Tip: If you plan on splitting the penthouse, it'd be best with two couples, one per floor. While ther...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank thejulia
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed here before the top floor was done. But the second floor where we stayed was amazing. Unlike lots of Mexican rentals the furniture was exceptionally comfortable. The arrangement of the beds in one big room seemed a bit strange but worked for us. Every morning we saw whales, porpoises and mantas right in front of the house. Can't get a better place in yelapa

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 10 April 2012

First off, this traveler has been from Amsterdam to Australia, New York to San Fran, Hawaii to Hanoi, Paris to the Poconos, and this place is definitely a favorite!!! From the relaxation of the accommodations to the fun people and locals of the Pueblo, this place truly gives the stressed out a place to unwind and enjoy the slower speed of life. Casa Pericos is beautiful, comfortable and just the right distance from the village and beach to give you two vacations in one. All of your needs will be attended to by your wonderful host and Concierge, Carolyn. Either hang out at your Palapa all day and watch the whales and porpoises come through the bay, perhaps take a sea kayak ride, or walk down the coast through town and find your way to the beach and margaritas!!! No cars, No phones, No TV (internet if you need, but why, RELAX!!!) just the sound of the waves and the crackle of the ice cubes in your drink next to you… Perfect!

Room Tip: Each level of this Palapa has its own charm, can't go wrong... If just the two of you traveling...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank railsoz
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Let me start by saying that I was VERY nervous about visiting Mexico due to all the reports of criminal activity. We fly into PV and I felt somewhat safe there but I felt 100% safe in Yelapa. Everyone seemed to know everyone and by the end of our trip some of the locals knew us by first name. People in Yelapa were very friendly and there was not one moment there that made me feel nervous or uneasy (and I tend to be a nervous person). I honestly believe that most parts of Mexico are very safe as long as you keep your eyes open and don't put yourself in dangerous situations.

We stayed in the Vista romantica room and it was wonderful. We had people staying above and below us and not once did I ever hear anyone. I was a little concerned about about bugs and other critters since the space was so exposed to the outside but it was never a problem. Didn't even need to use my bug spray or the net for the bed. Remember to take a flashlight for night time walking. I would recommend ear plugs because the waves can be a little loud. Was VERY happy to find that I could use my hair dryer there....not an air dry kinda gal.

Carolyn was awesome and very helpful. She was very easy to get ahold of either via telephone or e-mail. Please read her instructions carefully because we failed to tell the water taxi exactly where to drop us off at (which is in her instructions) and we got dropped off at the furthest pier. It turned out to be ok because we found someone to take us there on an ATV with our luggage which was a lot of fun. I highly recommend a lunch or dinner at Verana and Carolyn can make a reservation for you.....about a 20 minute walk and it has spectacular views. Most mornings and sometimes for lunch we ate at Angelina's Garden and Miguel was a great server.....food was always great. The kayaking that is included with your stay was great/convenient....as long as the waves aren't too big. We did the 10 minute hike to the waterfall but didn't get a chance to do the longer hike......couldn't break away from the beach chair and margaritas.

If your looking for a safe and relaxing beach vacation with friendly people this is the place for you. Highly recommend visiting Yelapa and staying at Casa Pericos. I plan on going back in the near future.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lori A
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Casa Pericos was fabulous and certainly exceeded our expectations. Carolyn, the concierge that is part of this property, made our trip so much easier. We took advantage of the "stock your fridge" with a custom list of items we selected prior to traveling. Cold beer (Negra Modelo if you like a darker beer), fruit, guacamole, salsa, chips, the best ceviche, and other items were all stocked and waiting for us when we arrived. You will be dropped off at a small beach close to the casa but I would recommend paying for the porter service to carry your bags to the house as the walkway is a stone pathway that the porter navigates better than you will with heavy bags. Well worth the $10-$15 tip. The accomodations were spectacular. The view was incredible. We stayed in the penthouse so we had 2 floors, a hot tub, and full kitchen that came in handy for a light breakfast and/or dinner. Yelapa is full of incredible places to eat like Cafe Bahia (Bloody Mary's, bean soup, and breakfast burritos are a must), Los Abuelos (only seats 12 but the best dinner burritos, YUM!), and Tacos y Mas were a few of our favorites. If you go to the beach, go to Angelina's Garden and Miguel will be your server on the beach. He was wonderful. Take in the 10 minute hike to the in-town waterfall. It is a really nice waterfall complete with a bar and gazebo once you arrive. You can take the longer 1.5 hour hike up the river to the other waterfall and well worth the effort. You will pass Christina's on the way for a wonderful vegan lunch served along the river and be sure to stop at El Manguito on the way back for Bloody Mary's and other wonderful food selections. Be sure to take flashlights for night walking in town and a must to get back to the casa after dark. The other wonderful experience was having in-house massages. Carolyn can arrange single massages or you can have couples massages. Carolyn truly made our experience so much better and we are already planning our next trip back to Yelapa.

Room Tip: We were very happy that we brought ear plugs as the water hitting up against the rocks makes a loud...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JulieKosloski
Reviewed 10 January 2012

As I own a winter home in Puerto Vallarta, I try to visit lovely Yelapa at least once a year and highly recommend it to others. Having seen the evolution of Casa Pericos over the past few years, I was eager to experiencing staying there myself and - just this month (1/12) - invited four friends to join me in the penthouse unit. What an amazing property! Beautifully maintained and integrated into the jungle hillside, Casa Pericos is a wonderful hybrid of rustic adventure and luxurious comforts. I couldn't recommend it more highly. On top of that, the concierge Carolyn went above and beyond the call, always at our beck and call whenever we needed something. If they have availability, I eagerly recommend you stay there! ; )

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Coats G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yelapa
Hotel Lagunita
Casa Bahia Bonita
Casa Bahia Bonita
#5 of 6 in Yelapa
Pura Vida Wellness Retreat

Been to Casa Pericos? Share your experiences!