“jewel in the too rough” 3 of 5 bubbles

Casa Pericos
Ranked #2 of 6 Yelapa B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Boston, Massachusetts
“jewel in the too rough”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2012

Casa Pericos, undoubtedly, a beautiful place, with a beautiful view, tastefully done. But there are draw backs.
First, it is the getting to Yelapa by water taxi from the Vallarta Beach. There is no dock. Perhaps there will be someday but as of now it is up to you to get in the surf and get a hand-up into the pitching boat, then the suitcases are thrown in along with the bags of oranges,limes, toilet paper, cases of beer, and other staples beside people, going to Yelapa. I am 73 and very agile and strong, as is my husband, but what if you are not? The young couple in the boat with us had their smallest child , a seven year old , fall into the water while trying to board the boat. She was fine, but soaking wet. It is the same when you get to Casa Pericos. There is a dock in Yelapa, but it is far away from Casa Pericos, so you are deposited on the beach closer to the house, again quite perilous. Ask for the dock, and then get help dragging your suitcases up and down a slippery stone path, that is the only path in the whole town.
In a way, I loved the remoteness, because it protects the little puebla from high rises and too much tourism. The romance of going to a little village on the sea in the middle of a jungle is enticing, but there is little time for romance, negotiating steep wet paths for a LONG way to get to a sunny beach, the grocery store, the beer store, the restaurants. Especially with a ten year old and a three year old, the latter having to be carried a great deal of the time.
Anyway when I rented this place for my family and grandchildren, it seemed a lovely place, built right on the beach, in front of a jungle. And so it is, but there is never any sun on the palapa and so mornings and late afternoons it is cold and extremely damp. It faces north with a steep mountain behind it and the ocean breeze comes through the open walls and the sun never dries anything out. We had about 40 really wet towels by the end of the week, the 2 bathing suits we each brought never dried and the bedding was damp when you got in at night.The smell of mildew, especially on the top floor is horrendous!
The hot tub was never hot. I think they were trying to save propane and electricity. The stove broke and the ice box during our stay, but were miraculously fixed by the caretaker. To have a three year old in the apartment was a constant worry as there is no real safety rails on the ramps and around the central opening on the top floor. It is definitely NOT child proof or safe.
For what the owners think is high end is relative to the place and not to what I would consider anything close to luxury.( For luxury, go to Casa Velas in Puerto Vallarta. ) Not alot of bang for the buck!.
We did have a wonderful time and the fishing was great and the arrangements made by the concierge were all well done and attentive.
Perhaps in the summer you would be grateful not to have any sun, but in December it was sorely lacking.
And one more thing, it is more like an apartment and not a hotel.
I

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Jessie B
Casa P, Owner at Casa Pericos, responded to this review, 2 January 2013
Dear Reviewer;
We always appreciate constructive suggestions and received your note left at our house yesterday.
Today, I started out my Sunday reading your TripAdvisor review and am taken aback by it.
This was not a constructive review, especially from a fellow Guest House Owner.

From the start of your trip you, were taken care of by a cargador at the beach in Puerto Vallarta and at Playa Isabel and met by our wonderful, attentive Concierge.
I am sure you could help but notice there is a huge, new, pier in Puerto Vallarta set to open Jan 4th.
It is 30 meters tall and impossible to miss. It is amazing as you have seen.
The beach landing at Playa Isabel was never dangerous.
You had the choice to get off at the main pier in Yelapa and have your luggage carried by a cargador for an extra fee. Nothing is ever "dragged" in Yelapa.
We are remote and that is one of the lures of our wonderful House. It is less than a 10 minute stroll to the village.
It is an adventure to get to Yelapa and yes all ride together with supplies in the boats. 99% are happy as pangas are our only transportation. Sorry this was an inconvenience to you.

Our house has never boasted full sun, but is shaded with dappled sun through the pristine, jungle canopy, full of parrots and do get a soothing breeze off the ocean.
I know as a fact that you NEVER had a build up of over 40 wet towels! We have 6 day a week maid service and a constant exchange of towels.
DId you ever ask for more towels if the ones you had were not sufficient ?

As far a the smell of mildew, this is on outright lie. The jungle and ocean air have a great natural, earthy smell. We don't spray fabreeze over anything.
As an owner I personally work with my staff to assure this is never an issue.
I stayed there right after you checked out, for Christmas and no smell.
Did you voice this to our house staff and concierge?

The hot, zen, soaking pool is set to run twice daily. Was the cover left off?
If you leave it off it will get cold, you were instructed as to this simple procedure.
It was hot, almost too hot the same day you checked out.
"To save on propane & electricity" Fabrication!
Did you ask our concierge or house staff to turn it up?
This is why we have available staff to assist you with your needs.
If you dont ask or voice a concern then no one knows.
As Hotel owners you should know this all too well.

We are remote and when something has stopped working or gas runs out it is always immediately remedied- As it was. The propane for your stove was switched over within 10 min.

As far as child safety - no matter where you are a 3 year old always needs supervision if you are at home or Yelapa at Casa Pericos or at Casa Velas in Marina Puerto Vallarta.
It is your responsibility as a Parent/Grandparent.
I told you about safety AS WELL AS our concierge telling you children are not allowed on the 2nd story of the Penthouse!
If you allowed the children up in the 2nd story you put them at risk.

You paid $295 per night at Casa Pericos vs. $600 -$1400 per night for only 4 people at Casa Velas, in Marina Vallarta, as you suggested to the TripAdvisor readers to stay.
Also Casa Velas does not accept children under 15 years old, Odd you did not mention this?
Additionally, I gave you a discount of over $383 as I did not charge you for your children staying . Thanks to this TA review we may not allow children in the future.
As far as Bang for your buck, I dont know of any place where you can rent a 2 story, 2500 sq. foot Penthouse, 10' from the ocean for the price that you paid and yes, it is Eco Barefoot Luxury.
Our Casa is NOT an apartment as you suggested.

We work hard to keep our casa to the highest standards at Low Prices.
All of our past Trip Advisor review reflect this, which we are most grateful for.

Definitely, Yelapa is not for you as you suggested. Next time please stay at Casa Velas, the all inclusive, Marina, exclusive golf course resort at $1400 per night. I see that you wrote them a glowing review the same day as you wrote ours. I find that very odd that you are comparing our guest house to this outrageously priced resort.

Your review was mean spirited and you should have at least contacted me first to discuss your unhappiness prior to posting. A note left in our Casa is not seen until our arrival.
I am sure you would like to same courtesy with your guests.
Again, I was about to address your detailed letter to me which I had just received on your few suggestions for our casa - Guest House Owner to Owner, but it seems now you have taken this route.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2012

If you are looking for an adventure but it must be fun and relaxing, Casa Pericos is the place to stay in Yelapa. Standing at the waters edge on the point, you can see forever, and with the breeze and the sound of the waves you never forget you are someplace very special. The wildlife and jungle are amazing, the village of Yelapa has all the charm and character you would expect and Casa Pericos has all the comforts of an upscale boutique hotel. With that said, Yelapa ia as rustic and not in any way commercial or over developed. the Casa Pericos staff are warm and friendly and if you don't speak Spanish, no problem.

If you are traveling to Puerto Vallarta to enjoy the nightlife, culture and art, a stay in Yelapa is a perfect way to unwind, enjoy the natural beauty of the area and maybe even make new friends. If you enjoy fishing, boating, the beach, parasailing... You can enjoy yourself doing everything or nothing at all. An excellent place to stay and make memories.

Room Tip: They are all great rooms,
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Aaron N
Redwood City, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

Casa Pericos is a very sweet place. My husband and I went for a wedding anniversary and absolutely loved Yelapa and Casa Pericos. We went during the off season - beginning of October - and Pericos wasn't full so we were able to see all the rooms. Without exception, each was fantastic and unique in its own way.

We stayed in Vista Romantica, the middle floor, which is spacious and ideal for two people. The first floor is a bit smaller and the top floor is gigantic. Each is decorated and laid out a bit differently but all have Bali style furniture with an interesting mix of Mexican and Asian art and sculpture.

Casa Pericos is built into the jungle on the back side and all the rooms are open on the ocean side. Not only do you get great views but you feel like you're living suspended above the ocean and are one with the weather. It was especially dramatic during a night-time thunder storm.

Yelapa is a gem of a little village. No cars, no roads, just cobblestone walking paths and lots of donkeys to carry stuff. The beach part of town is across the river - an adventure to get to, given the rainy season - and it's lined with restaurants where you can plop yourself down for the day and eat, drink, read, swim, whatever when the spirit moves you.

Carolyn, the concierge, handles whatever you need to make your stay comfy and goes way above and beyond. She's a recent graduate of yoga teacher training and she game me a delightful private yoga class. She even brought some fabulous carryout for us on our first night when it was pouring rain.

What we most appreciated about Carolyn is the genuine affection she seems to have earned from the people who live there - ex pats and natives alike. Everyone knows Casa Pericos, the people who own and built it, and Caroleena. I personally got alot of satisfaction out of staying in a place that's respected and appreciated by everyone we ran into. It's clear that's a two way street.

One note about our experience: We had absolutely no problem with security and never felt the least bit in danger, despite what the American news media would have you believe. All that affected us about as much as the crime rate in D.C. affects people living in San Francisco.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Lucy B
Puerto Vallarta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

This was such an out-standing 'get-away'... Casa Pericos was a beautiful oasis in the jungle. Yelapa itself is a great place to visit if you're in the area, but CP is extrodinary! The building is gorgeous, the setting beautiful, the furnishings beyond expectations and the service couldn't be better anywhere in the tropics, maybe in all of Mexico! An open air suite with vistas beyond compare - everything we needed for a wonderful weekend in Paradise! (Even their famous thunder-storm!)
Mi amigo and I spent two nights in Vista Romantica (# 2) and we both thought it was perfect! Mi amigo loved the bathroom, bigger then my living room! Two shower heads ! I loved the open living area with wonderful views; lounges and a table for dining or games virtually over the bay! One night we enjoyed an 'in-house 3 course dinner' orchestated by Carolina, the concierge. OMG it was the best. Imagine going to a fine restaurant for a great dinner and not having to drive home afterwards. (We fought over the left-over tortilla soup!) Carolina was there for everything we wanted or needed (even if we didn't now we needed it)... porters to being our luggage to, and from, the resort; recommendations to sights to see, what restaurants to visit, etc. The walk to the waterfall. even the walk TO this place is interesting! Couldn't tell you how great our 'mini' vacation was! Check it out for yourself!

Room Tip: The swimming from the near-by beach, Playa Isabel, was better then at the big beach, and fewer touri...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Gingerita
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

I was looking for a reasonably priced but luxurious vacation as a birthday surprise for my boyfriend. I did a ton of research and landed upon Casa Pericos. It truly exceeded my expectations! I've traveled a ton and I have to say that this was one of my favorite places to stay in the world- I regret that we only stayed for three nights.

We rented the penthouse in mid May. Prices were reasonable (esp because rainy season was about to begin) and the weather was perfect! I'd originally planned a ton of activities with Carolyn (the affable and knowledgeable concierge who lives right next door). But when we got there, my "must plan every minute of the day" attitude melted away immediately. You won't be able to help it, to be honest. Even if you're a crackberry type A personality (like I can be), this place will convert you.

What did we do? We walked into town and back every day, we lazed on the beach, we ate like kings, we took a lot of naps and snorkeled in the amazing fish filled waters right in front of the house, and we loved every second of it.

The town itself had basically shut down- tourist season was over. The waterfalls were trickles. But we still found places to eat and also cooked ourselves breakfast each day with materials from Carolyn's concierge service.

The penthouse is truly magical. I'd let slip almost every aspect of the surprise vacation to my boyfriend but luckily, the best surprise was Casa Pericos' extreme beauty. It was a surprise to both of us to be honest! The pictures really don't do it justice. Palapas are completely open and that breeze is so comfortable! The wildlife and ocean lull you to sleep (I wore ear plugs because I'm a light sleeper), and every aspect of the decor was just jaw dropping.

I can't say enough positive things about Yelapa and Casa Pericos. Amazing food, amazing fun, amazing vacation. This was the ideal honeymoon for us, before our wedding planning had even begun! Highly recommended.

If you're not super mobile, I wouldn't suggest this house because the stairs are steep and the walk into town is more of a short hike on rugged terrain. For the same reason, wouldn't recommend this locale for children. But for everyone else, you won't find a better destination to chill out. I'll point out that you do need flashlights if you want to walk around at night.

But staying in is equally fun. They have all sorts of games available and you can just cook at home. They've anticipated that it can be a kind of torture to completely tune out, so they have free wifi, free calls to the US, an ipod dock for late night dance parties, and that's really just the beginning. Don't miss out on the zen pool (like a sensory deprivation tank, very romantic), canoodle on every bed and lounge area (3 big beds, couches, big day bed), ogle the fertility cabinet from East Timor, avail yourself of the free snorkel gear and best snorkeling in Yelapa at your footstep, the bbq, the kayaks... and most importantly, spend as much time as you can day dreaming in the ocean breeze.

We're definitely going back to Casa Pericos as soon as we can!

Room Tip: If you plan on splitting the penthouse, it'd be best with two couples, one per floor. While ther...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank thejulia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed here before the top floor was done. But the second floor where we stayed was amazing. Unlike lots of Mexican rentals the furniture was exceptionally comfortable. The arrangement of the beds in one big room seemed a bit strange but worked for us. Every morning we saw whales, porpoises and mantas right in front of the house. Can't get a better place in yelapa

• Stayed March 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
railsoz
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

First off, this traveler has been from Amsterdam to Australia, New York to San Fran, Hawaii to Hanoi, Paris to the Poconos, and this place is definitely a favorite!!! From the relaxation of the accommodations to the fun people and locals of the Pueblo, this place truly gives the stressed out a place to unwind and enjoy the slower speed of life. Casa Pericos is beautiful, comfortable and just the right distance from the village and beach to give you two vacations in one. All of your needs will be attended to by your wonderful host and Concierge, Carolyn. Either hang out at your Palapa all day and watch the whales and porpoises come through the bay, perhaps take a sea kayak ride, or walk down the coast through town and find your way to the beach and margaritas!!! No cars, No phones, No TV (internet if you need, but why, RELAX!!!) just the sound of the waves and the crackle of the ice cubes in your drink next to you… Perfect!

Room Tip: Each level of this Palapa has its own charm, can't go wrong... If just the two of you traveling...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank railsoz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yelapa
Hotel Lagunita
Hotel Lagunita
#2 of 4 in Yelapa
Hotelito Mio
Hotelito Mio
#1 of 1 in Cabo Corrientes
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & ...
#10 of 127 in Puerto Vallarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,756 reviews
Hotel Mousai
Hotel Mousai
#4 of 127 in Puerto Vallarta
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort & Spa
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Reso...
#27 of 127 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,368 reviews
Costa Sur Resort & Spa
Costa Sur Resort & Spa
#38 of 127 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,242 reviews

Been to Casa Pericos? Share your experiences!