“Simply magnificent”

Casa Pericos
Ranked #2 of 6 Yelapa B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 4 January 2011

Pericos is the perfect balance between immersion and personal space. The architectural beauty offers perfect views of the entire bay and main beach while also giving you the personal freedom to relax and unwind at night. It is among the finest casas in all of Yelapa and will keep the locals wondering about exactly who you are to be staying in Pericos.

The first night we were there we saw Humpback whales from our balcony -- an excellent symbol foreshadowing the amazing 10-day trip to come. Carolyn made the trip an easy and joyful transition from hectic travel to the completely calming Pericos. She stocked our kitchen with everything we needed for a few days, including a great margarita mix, complete with Tequila. She also patiently answered our many questions about the town, restaurants and things we wanted to do like snorkel at a coral reef and paddle around the bay in the Pericos-owned kayaks. Come here and you'll want to stay... for a very, very long time. In fact some people never go home, as there is an expat community.

Do be prepared for two things: 1. There are no real barriers between you and the ocean. It took some time to get used to the waves at night while sleeping... but we're from Colorado and grew to love it each night. 2. It is a 5 min walk to town. A magnificently beautiful walk on a very good path, but may be trouble for elderly with knee/joint problems and sometimes you have to time the waves just right or risk getting wet.

Yelapa was like a paradise for my whole family and Pericos the oasis deep inside.

Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Chad-Denver1000

Reviewed 13 November 2010

We stayed on the second floor of Casa Pericos from 10/23 - 10/30. Carolyn, the concierge, greeted us upon arrival at Isabel's Beach...a short walk to the Casa. I would recommend NOT bringing a suitcase. We arrived with backpacks only and it made navigating Puerto Vallarta, the water taxi and the walk to the Casa much easier. The path is rocky and narrow and the steps up to the Casa are steep and plentiful!

The second floor, where we stayed, is beautiful and spacious. Two double beds, two chaise lounges, two chairs, a couch, dining room table - more than enough for the two us. Perfectly equipped with a coffee maker, microwave, stove, refrigerator and pantry with all of your pots, pans, dishes, etc. There was even a blender! Right outside our door was a bbq grill. The pantry houses a safe as well. There is a second armoire by the bathroom for you to hang your clothes. Both beds have mosquito nets - you will definitely need them! There is nothing quite as wonderful as falling asleep to the sound of crashing waves each night. Oh wait, maybe showering outdoors is pretty wonderful too! If you look hard enough you will see a red crab in the jungle wall/rocks in the bathroom!

Carolyn will stock your kitchen if you like. We chose to get our own groceries in town at the tiendas. There was plenty to choose from. We made breakfast and lunch in the Casa almost every day. Not all the restaurants were open in October but we did eat dinner out every night. Manguitos, which we didn't visit until the last day, was DELISH! It is quite a walk upriver but what an adventure - especially when you return at night and it's pitch black out. So much fun. The food was fantastic, the owner was so nice and his wife, the chef, is a genius. Do not wait until the last day to eat there - I wish we would have gone there more than once. We also ate at Brisas, in town. Good food, they speak English very well and are very accommodating to different diets, like mine. The only other restaurant we ate at was Hotel Lagunita. You have to cross the river to get there - don't wear long pants unless they can roll up or you are tall! I am only 5 ft. and the water in the river came up to my mid-thighs. I was soaked by the time we got to the Hotel! The food is good and they take credit cards, which is nice if you want to save your cash. We also ate breakfast there - holy yum. Great coffee too!

Casa Pericos comes alive at night - there are geicos on the ceiling to greet you when you get home each evening! Freaked me out the first night but after I got used to them they were a welcome addition! Definitely bring your headlamp or a flashlight. You will need it if you venture out in the evening. You will also need it in the Casa - we tried to keep the lights off all the time because they attracted so many bugs. We saw a giant grasshopper, colonies of ants (in the bathroom rock wall), a big cockroach, beautiful moths, and a baby scorpion. Don't be scared - they never bothered us!

It's chilly at night so bring long pants and a long sleeve shirt. Casa Pericos is located up the Point and, at least while we were there, didn't get much sun. I definitely needed the warmer clothes, especially at night!

Kayaks are available and you can board them right in front of the Casa. Carolyn can also arrange trips. We took two trips - both with Felipe and Marco. We went to the Marietas Islands as well as Pisota. The Marietas Islands trip was a 6-7 hour trip that included dolphin and sea turtle watching, fishing, sunbathing, lunch and snorkeling! I caught two huge Toro and my husband caught a small Sierra that Felipe and Marco chopped up into fresh ceviche to go along with our guacamole. The guac was awesome! Felipe and Marco speak a little English (we were able to communicate with no problem). We had a great time with them and would HIGHLY recommend them. Felipe helped me brush up on my Spanish. The Islands are beautiful and we were the only two there!! Felipe and Marco stayed on the boat while we enjoyed our sunbathing time. Then they brought us the ceviche, guacamole and bottled water. After lunch we snorkeled for a bit and then returned to Yelapa.
The second trip to Pisota was just a short boat drive away. We anchored the boat and walked to the beach where we then followed a trail to the jungle. It was a challenging walk to the waterfall. Bring a good solid pair of water sandals - Merrells, Keens or Chacos work wonderfully! If you bring a backpack make sure to bring something for the puppies to eat. Pisota is a very small village and we were the only tourists there. Felipe told me that these pups get fed mostly by tourists. So sad...they were sooooo skinny. The waterfall is beautiful - Marco climbed it and did a backflip off of it! Again, we hit the beach for guacamole. I got some great pics of huge iguanas! This was a shorter trip but well worth it!

Speaking of dogs, oh my gosh are there a ton of them in Yelapa! Loving, adorable, sweet, dirty dogs! I wanted to bring them all home for a good grooming. The best dog of all is Carolyn's pup, Gaia. She was a godsend. We think Isabel (of Isabel's Beach/Casa Isabel), who passed away within the last year or two, was reincarnated into Gaia. Gaia is less than a year old but knows EVERYONE in Yelapa, knows all the paths and will be your faithful companion. We have so many pictures of Gaia accompanying us on our adventures one would think we brought her with us!

Casa Pericos is the perfect location for a trip to Yelapa - it's away from town so it's very quiet. If you like to walk then you will have a nice jaunt to town, a longer walk to the beach and quite the adventure to the big waterfall. We walked on just about every path Yelapa had to offer - we even found the cemetery on what must be the steepest hill outside of San Francisco! If you leave the Casa and go left (west, I think) you can explore even more, on a path that will take you to Verana. We also ventured off that path and climbed along the rocks to sit and sunbathe. We saw huge iguanas (or whatever they were), lots of crabs and schools of fish, right outside the Casa.

Carolyn is there if you need her, right next door at El Jardin. She will do as much as you like or nothing at all. She gave us a tour of the town the first day, filled us in on the best places to eat and let us know she was there if we needed her. She even helped us negotiate a better price for one of our day trips.

The Casa is beautiful, Yelapa is charming and the locals are warm and friendly. This was the best adventure ever. We will definitely be going back! We normally are all-inclusive resort type travelers. This trip was a big departure from that and the best vacation we've had.

If you'd like any more information please do not hesitate to PM me!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sebastian'sMom
Reviewed 20 October 2010

This is my 3rd visit to Casa Pericos and my 4th visit to Yelapa and it keeps getting better!
We stayed in the newly completed Penthouse this time and it was so amazing! From the new woven hammock chairs installed in the huge palapa, the privacy shade cloth to the recently completed privacy walls for the upper bedrooms made me feel I was getting more my moneys worth for my stay.
The owner of Casa Pericos continues to add to the already perfect in my opinion, the "Swiss Family Robinson" Luxury feeling.
I was impressed to see that the house had amazing concierge service even though it was the off season.
Carolyn (our concierge) booked us for amazing couples massage and I even ventured out for a chartered fishing trip with (Jay, our english speaking boat captain) and my friends and we caught 5 huge fish!
Of course it was nice that if we wanted to go into town it was only a 5 min walk along the ocean path.
My friends wanted to come back for christmas but the house books up almost a year in advance now for that special holiday, so they will have to settle for early January now.
I cant wait to return to see what the owners continue to do with the place.
I miss Yelapa already!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pvlover2
Reviewed 2 August 2010

It had everything that you needed in a remote location. It had gear for kayaking, snorkeling, and a barbecue grill. Anything that it didn't have the concierge Carolina could find it for you. It had a refridgerater, oven, microwave, and all of the pots, pans, plates, and utensils that you may need.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cocobeanlove
Reviewed 24 May 2010

We stayed at Casa Pericos in May of 2010 and were completely blown away. The value here is just mind blowing.

The house: we stayed in the Penthouse but also were able to take a look at the other two units. In a word: AWESOME. Everything is of the highest quality and the entire experience is like staying in a luxury tree house. The penthouse unit was fantastic. The beds were great, the bathroom was luxurious (showering outside is so amazing!), and the view was killer. The only place I’ve ever stayed that remotely compared was an over water bungalow in Bora Bora!

The location: This is a great little town. VERY quiet and non touristy. No one is bugging you constantly to buy some beachside junk. There were plenty of GREAT places to eat and great entertainment. Pollo Bollo had some awesome food and margaritas as well. It is a quick walk into the village although a longer walk to the main beach (or a quick kayak ride over). There IS a much more private beach just steps away from the house though.

Overall: best travel deal of my life. The on-site management was SUPER helpful as well. We booked a massage through them and it was wonderful and booking it couldn’t have been easier. One thing to remember: BRING CASH. LOTS OF CASH. Credit cards are rarely accepted here and there is NO ATM in town. Once you deal with that you’re good to go!

I hope you enjoy this place as much as we did. I hope to be back very soon!

Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jpelletier1977
Reviewed 3 May 2010

I have always wanted to go to Yelapa, so after a family getaway in the town of San Poncho we decided that just my wife and I would spend six nights in Yelapa…. I just picked the Casa Pericos from the web page….. And was it a choice of luck. The place is beautiful, just a short hop it Playa Isabel to suntan, swim and snorkel. Not too far of a walk to town to get supplies/food and dine out, but far enough away to make it its own world. Carolyn was fantastic and very helpful. We stayed on the second floor and found it to be our favorite. The top floor was just too big. Also we decided to extend out vacation so we spent the last 3 nights on the bottom floor. It was nice, but we were spoiled by the second floor.

OK, that’s the basics…. Now for the other. This place was like Heaven on Earth for us. The weather was fantastic. Just to lie in the chair, look out over the bay and relax to the sound of the waves crashing on the rocks just below makes one forget that there is anywhere else on earth. The floor is all open and it is like you are inside, but at the same time outside.

We ate in town most of the time and the food was fantastic, but a lot of meals were made at the Casa.
Word of note; bring a flashlight.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Randy8888
Reviewed 26 April 2010

This was our second visit to Yelapa within a year and we had to return to Casa Pericos. The house is beautiful and the view from my favorite chair (on the balcony) is breathtaking. We spent many hours watching for dolphin and once spotted a whale from the house. If you are open to living in the outdoors while staying indoors this is the place for you. It's a good 10 minute walk into town - bring your flashlight at night. The kids could kayak from the house and body surf at Isabella's beach and plenty of snorkeling spots.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank tpackman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yelapa
Hotel Lagunita
Casa Iguana Hotel
#78 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
13 mi away
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & ...
#14 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
13 mi away
Hotel Mousai
Hotel Mousai
#3 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Casa Bahia Bonita
Casa Bahia Bonita
#5 of 6 in Yelapa

Been to Casa Pericos? Share your experiences!