“Natural Beauty”
Review of El Jardin Yelapa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yelapa
El Jardin Yelapa
Reviewed 22 August 2013

El Jardin provided such a slow-paced and easy-going place to unwind, slow the the mind and drink in the natural beauty. I loved the tree-house-esque palapa I stayed in up at the top of the property that had a wonderful shower and a great view of the entire bay. The sunrises were amazing up there, swinging on the hanging bed and watching the entire sky light up like a watercolor painting every morning. It was earthy and beautiful. The common area was a wonderful place to hang out with friends and the open kitchen provided some fun time cooking together. The gardens around the property are lovely.

It is especially nice that the location of El Jardin is very close to the small Isalbel's Beach. It was a calm and quiet entry point into the water and a great escape from the more frantic main beach in town.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank JuneInTune

Reviewed 22 August 2013

Stayed here in May, 2013, with a group. Some of us were in Casa Banana, I was in the top floor (my choice) and went up a ladder to a room with a gorgeous view. Overall, it is a "rustic" experience, in that the bathroom is a walk from the room, there is no glass or screens in any of the windows, an open air living experience. But the breeze was lovely, the people fun, the views gorgeous, steps to snorkeling right in front of the resort, a great hammock to lay in and read the day away. You can always here the water. The grounds have a great variety of plants, lots were flowering while we were there. Even the bathroom has a view. There are books and games, swimming, ping pong, snorkeling, kayaking, it is a short walk into town, where there are more beaches, restaurants, massages available. There are side excursions available to islands and waterfalls. Since you have to take a boat and climb out of it at Playa Isabel, and walk up a path to get there, it helps to be a bit adventurous. The host made us a campfire several evenings. He was charming and unobtrusive, available when needed.
You are on the edge of village life, with burros going by at any moment. (no cars anywhere)

Room Tip: This is not your standard hotel. It is a bit of an adventure. Not a lot of privacy in many of the...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank beach53
Reviewed 22 August 2013

My husband and I have led Women's Circle Retreats in Yelapa for the past 8 years.

For 3 years in a row, while staying at a different retreat center near by which did not have a flat floor space large enough to accommodate our needs for dance and yoga, we rented the main house at El Jardin for a couple hours each morning because El Jardin did have the floor space we needed. This worked great for our needs.

However, this year, due to the fact that we added an evening yoga experience, we needed to rent El Jardin's main space both in the mornings and evenings so we decided it would be easier to hold the whole retreat at El Jardin. It turned out to be just perfect for us. El Jardin offered us everything we needed to house, feed, convene circle, and have the spacious fllor space we needed.

The way El Jardin Eco Center is set up is perfect for retreats like ours. The lodging (4 casitas/palapas) plus the spacious main room downstairs works perfectly to allow us all to be close together as a group. The main room houses the kitchen, dining room, living room all in one. By simply pushing the couches, chairs and tables out of the way, after breakfast and before dinner, we have an enormous space to spread out to do 5 Rhythms, and yoga.

El Jardin's location in front of the Bay, was truly a healing balm. Imagine having butterflies fly around you as you are dancing or doing yoga, seeing blue sky and blue water in front of you separated only by many potted plants and flowering bushes, and the narrow path leading to the village. We felt like we were literally on the water when were in the main space. It's impossible to fully describe. The cool breezes that come off the water, the scents of blooming flowers, the sounds of the waves, birds, and nature, it all comes together to create a senual ambiance that for our work is perfect. So perfect, that we have reserved El Jardin for our 2014 Women's Circle Retreat.

The only room I think could be upgraded would be the space called Hibiscus. But, I believe the owners are working on it. Still it served us perfectly. The bathroom near Hibiscus was my favorite!

I have to add that Chrissi, the owner and Danny, our caretaker, did everything they could to make our stay wonderful and easy. Danny was a gentleman with all of us, offering to carry luggage, build nightly fires, fetch more towels, and do whatever we needed. He went beyond the call of duty and beyond all his normal duties to make sure we felt taken care of. Plus he was a great guide.

As a group of 8 women from all across the US and Canada, I feel I can speak for each of us when I say that we had a great time at El Jardin. Our beds were great, the spaces were clean and comfortable. The only complaint was that a couple mosquito nets were not big enough and a couple women were getting bitten by mosquitos -- but the minute we shared this they were switched out for larger ones. There was never a lack of clean towels and sheets, and the whole of El Jardin was kept swept and clean. Granted, this is a kind of hostel and not a spa, which we were very glad for. So, if you are expecting a spa type experience, El Jardin is not for you. It is a place where people can feel like they are one with nature, right at the spot in Yelapa where it is most attractive to be.

One woman in our group, who had done a number of other retreats with us, signed up immediately for 2014 for both herself and her daughter, as well as a friend. Thank you Chrissi and Danny for everything you did to make our retreat so successful.

Oh, I should add that we loved being at El Jardin so much, my husband and I extended our stay twice, changing our plane tickets twice, so that we could simply stay at El Jardin after the retreat. It was a wonderful vacation for us and we are looking forward to next year.

Room Tip: Well, Eagle's Nest is wonderful for a single person, Banana is a dorm style and is great for gro...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank mommiewolf
Reviewed 19 August 2013

El Jardin in Yelapa is the most relaxing spot in Mexico. It is private, quite, and a great get a way. It is perfect for a family vacation, couple, or a group of friends. There are lots of activities if you want them, or just to relax in a hammock and read a book. There are great little markets to buy food and a communal kitchen makes for great evenings.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I was horrified when I arrived at Casa Luna, which is run by the caretaker of El Jardin "Eco retreat". It wasn't "Eco" in anyway except that they compost and recycle a little. The caretaker was lewd and inappropriate with myself and my guest. He even made lewd comments about my 4 year old daughter. He has since been kicked out of this wonderful pueblo but I didn't feel like the owner cared one bit that we were terrified and never returned my money even though we had to move out early as the caretaker was harrassing us daily.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank LindaandIris
chrissib, Owner at El Jardin Yelapa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

I would like to reply to this review and this reviewer, although I have not had much l luck with communication to her. I have responded multiple times to this guest. We have acknowledged that her time spent with us was not satisfactory and in fact offered her half of her money back as a guest courtesy. The summer caretaker whom she is referring to has had nothing but glowing reviews from other guests, however I understand and have acknowledged that sometimes people just don’t connect well. There have been many unfounded accusations, but in my communication with others have found no rational basis in these. Since I was not there I can only ascertain that negative reactions were experienced from both parties and hence her stay with us was not good. Her comment about this man being "kicked out" of the pueblo is not true, he left for the States because he was not prepared for the summer heat.
As to her comments on El Jardin’s Eco resort status, it seems that she may have not allowed herself to find out more about what we do. We are rated as a 4 star Eco retreat from three international agencies. We have a full environmental policy. We recycle as much as possible in the confines of our location. There is a composting policy along with energy use and water use policies. All soap containers are reused and refilled from a central economy sized container. All soap used is low phosphate. However, we are not perfect. There are times when a trip into the city to buy supplies is not possible and supplies are purchased from one of the small stores in the pueblo that might not carry the products we would most recommend. We are trying in as many ways as possible to lower our carbon footprint and make this place as environmentally sustainable as we can.
We encourage this guest to give us constructive feedback on how to make these homes better equipped for our guests. Some of the best ideas have come from the folks who stay here.

Reviewed 7 April 2013

I had a very mixed time at El Jardin. I stayed at the Hibiscus House, which I would not recommend. It is basically a shack with curtains as walls and has no privacy. The curtains didn't close so everyone could see you. It also allowed all of the night lights into it so that your sleep was disrupted by those lights. It also didn't have a bathroom, you had to share. I also found ticks in my bed. To be fair, I had gone on a hike and I could have brought the ticks home with me. The managers change the sheets but over the next several days, I kept finding ticks, fewer, but there were still ticks. Bottom line, it is a nice place, but do not stay at the Hibiscus House. The locals also said I paid way too much for what I got. I am going to go back to Yelapa, but I will not stay there. Yelapa, itself is a lovely little place.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Hibisucs House.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank R2rierdan

I will agree that the Hibiscus House has some challanges and I apolgise to this guest for their dis comfort. We are in the process of designing a new structure and will rebuild it soon. It is actually more of a multi-purpose room. The curtains are designed that it can be opened up for a group class or curtained off for a massage room or in a pinch, it can be used as a bedroom. It is inexpensive and is only used for folks who would like a little more economic accommodation. It isn't advertized as having a bathroom. As to the ticks, I don't know, Yelapa is surrounded by jungle We have looked into the problem and appreciate the feedback from this guest. We are taking measures to solve this.

Reviewed 16 March 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at El Jardin. Our accommodation was the Eagle's Nest and we were perched up on a rock with a stunning view. The hanging bed rocked us to sleep and we would wake up to see the sunrise while lying in bed.

There is a large open communal kitchen and living area which we really liked and is a great opportunity to compare stories with other travelers and locals. Although we ate most dinners out we did have one group dinner. We travelled with two other families and we all stayed at different locations. Next time we will all stay at El Jardin as there is separate accommodation for us all and the common area for us to eat and play.

The whole of El Jardin was clean and well maintained. Having a host on site was a bonus as any questions were answered right away whether they were questions about the accommodation or Yelapa.

Location wise it was ideal in that a few steps away is a great spot to swim and further down the path is the village. The walk into the village is so pleasant as the trail hugs the shore and then turns inland where there are shops and restaurants.

Yelapa itself was a genuine fishing village. There is no road access and this is likely the reason that the location has retained its charm. The locals were friendly and kind. No lack of good spots to eat.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank colleen S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yelapa
Hotel Lagunita
Casa Pericos
Casa Pericos
#2 of 6 in Yelapa
Pura Vida Wellness Retreat

Been to El Jardin Yelapa? Share your experiences!