“High isolation hotel”
Review of Verana

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Yelapa
Verana
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Yelapa
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“High isolation hotel”
Reviewed 17 February 2013

A beautiful place in the Deciduous Forest of the Tropic of Cancer. Great views and peace with daytime background of many birds calling and night time call of crickets and frogs suddenly falling silent before dawn. Sunrise most beautiful each day. Lovely pool kept well and clean in which to exercise if you do not want to tackle the long stone path down the steep incline to the sea and on to the village of Yelapa.
Good food twice a day, and offers of birdwatching, paramotoring, parasailing, and trips to other beaches or to the Marieta Isles across the great natural Bay to see the blue-footed booby! Great sight.

Room Tip: Depends on your energy and how outside you like to sleep, You should specify as some are really out...
3 Thank whales_11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 21 January 2013

We just gor back from the Verana and I can't say enough about the expeience. My husband and I really needed a vacation and it hit the spot. We staryed in the Palapa and thought it was magnificent. Completely open so you really need to like the outdoors! I saw all the rooms and loved them all. Not a bad room in the place. The food was great. Some meals were better than others but on the whole I rate it highly. I thought the staff were very dedicated and understated. Loved April, Frederico, Joel, Justin, Danny, etc. It is a very expensive place and I agree that it's the hope that it doesn't turn into some overpriced place for poeple that have money to burn, thus leaving the quality to suffer. However, we felt it was worth the splurge and hope to return someday.

Room Tip: Palapa is close to the bar/restaurant but not so close. We thought it was one of the most fabulous...
8 Thank vroth_2000
Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed 17 January 2013

My wife and I recently returned from our five night stay in the Palapa. Some recent reviews have mentioned maintenance issues and there are some of those, but having stayed at many similar properties, most of these can be forgiven in my book. Overall, it is a beautiful place.

We loved the Palapa and can honestly say there were no houses that we'd have rather stayed. We had a huge outdoor area looking out on miles of coast line. We loved the parrots and the parakeets. The place was kept tidy and the linens were good considering the place is open to the elements. We did arrive in a bit of rain and were disappointed that all our outdoor cushions were left out in the rain. Come on.

Our toilet stall was the only area actually enclosed and it was in need of serious refurbishing. Seems like an easy fix for a place that is closed a few months a year. Get some paint! I know it's the jungle and all but come on. Still, a minor issue. Overall, the palapa was wonderful. Restaurant/bar area also very nice.

The only really bad experience was a group of four diners who stayed up late partying loudly at their table which was at the foot of the steps leading to our completely open Palapa. Shame on the guests for having so little regard for the other guests but, also, I would have thought that the staff at some point would have at least suggested that they take their party to the bar and away from the foot of our bed. Oh well...

I also feel some of the meals were a fairly poor value. Don't get me wrong, the food was very good. But every dinner is $45. I understand that everything comes over in a boat and all that. But $45 for a few tacos seems a bit steep. The tacos were very good but they were tacos. I'd say 3 of our 5 dinners were a fair value given the location. Great fish on a couple of nights and some wonderful tuna tartar.

Bottom line, we loved Verana and would highly recommend it. We also enjoyed the walk into town and the town itself is quite an experience. There are many wonderful restaurants in Yelapa so get off the property a time or two and experience them.

Room Tip: We loved the Palapa and would choose it again. It is the closest to the bar/restaurant so you can h...
1 Thank Jsnjl
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 26 November 2012

We had an amazing vacation at Verana. Part luxury, part safari - it's a place unlike any I've ever seen. We had the pool house, mid-Nov, which blurs between indoor and outdoor, having a bed next to the cooling waters of a pool, and lush vegetation beyond that. This house also has a deck and second bed"room" as well. Birds were all around us. The views of the bay were incredible from here and there was a nice breeze most days. The staff are wonderful - highly attentive but never intrusive; the food was fantastic - fresh fish, tacos, chiles rellenos; the housekeeping staff were impeccable with attention to every detail. If you want to experience nature, pampering, and seclusion all at once, I highly recommend Verana!

Room Tip: Every house/room is different. Some are more exposed to outdoor than others, some are more of a hike...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank jcr_atl
Point Reyes Station, California
Reviewed 15 November 2012

Reviews, the Verana website & rates, led me to anticipate a rustic yet stylish, smart, artfully designed, wonderfully situated jungle lodge-type resort. Relaxed, unpretentious, original & together (eg quality). While much of the above, Verana is also in need of serious rehab/updating to offset a slide into funk. It comes across as a place that has not been significantly upgraded since opening, or scrutinized pre-season, (e.g., peeling paint/plaster, less than comfortable seating/mattresses, dated hippy funk light & plumbing fixtures, minimal/insufficent fans, some stone patios/showers showing signs of mold, can of Raid in the bathroom.) When considering rates to value/expectations, the funk/neglect loses its charm and is offputting. The character/setting/concept of Verna is special, but it needs attention to live up to its reputation/website photos.

Room Tip: I toured the majority of the rooms. The concepts are original, fun, special. As noted above, each in...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank Kay677
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 1 August 2012

My husband and I went there for our honeymoon in February, and loved the place. We had such a nice time that we decided to go again for our fifth anniversary :)
We split our stay between the jungle house and the bungalow. We liked the bungalow way more than the jungle house.
The place is very private. The staff go out of their way to ensure that you don't run into them when you don't expect to.
And oh, you ought to try the moonlit bath if you go there. It is out of the world.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gayatri R
los angeles
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Loved taking a yoga class under a palapa while viewing the beauty of the Pacific and the surrounding tropical forest. My casita was gorgeous , rustic and luxurious, which included a private patio, living room for lounging , reading etc...and a private outdoor shower. My bedroom was romantic (I was alone boo-hoo ) with a type of flowy canopy bed and very comfortable . Every morning a quiet elf/ angel would deliver my choice of beverage with delicious pastry's and fruit, which would be left on my patio at an appointed time adding to the zen vibe .My only tiny complaint was the food, though good did not include enough seafood at the time I stayed.Even though i was the only single traveler I never felt uncomfortable with all the romantic couples who were the other guests, oh maybe that's just me ! I love to be surrounded by natural beauty and a good library. Hope your in good shape to climb the mountain to get to this "Eden " or don't mind a donkey ride!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank creativetravelor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yelapa
Hotel Lagunita
Hotel Lagunita
#2 of 4 in Yelapa
Hotelito Mio
Hotelito Mio
#1 of 1 in Cabo Corrientes
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & ...
#14 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort & Spa
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Reso...
#26 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Villa Azalea - Luxury B&B
Villa Azalea - Luxury B&B
#69 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Casa Pericos
Casa Pericos
#2 of 6 in Yelapa

Been to Verana? Share your experiences!