“Rustic and welcoming; tropical and relaxing.”
Review of Hotel Lagunita

Hotel Lagunita
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Yelapa
Richfield, Minnesota
“Rustic and welcoming; tropical and relaxing.”
Reviewed 27 December 2012

We stayed at Hotel Lagunita for only a few short nights in January 2012 as part of our good friends' wedding. Honestly, we were initially hesitant about going to "a little fishing village that only got electricity a few years ago." But wow, could we not have been more wrong.

Lagunita's location right on the bay is perfect! No matter what your room says, you're mere steps away from the beach. The room in which we stayed had very high, thatched-roof ceilings and a huge window that opened up right onto the bay. We were so close to the water, that at night it sounded like the waves were going to crash right through into the room. (WONDERFUL!)

Luke (the proprietor) and his staff as so generous and welcoming that you're immediately put at ease. Even though when we arrived there were a few very minor mishaps, everything was immediately rectified.

Even though all of their supplies are delivered in by boat, the Hotel's restaurant has a very generous menu. Lots of delicious local flavors and everything is topped off with delicious veggies and salsa. All dishes and drinks are moderately priced so that you can really enjoy your vacation without [much] guilt.

A few notes: This IS NOT "The Ritz." Although the accommodations are comfortable, they are rustic. No TV in the rooms; no phones. The hot water works very well, when they have enough gas to heat it. These is not a "five-star hotel," but it is a five star experience.

We cannot stop telling our friends about our stay at Hotel Lagunita and cannot wait to come back again!

Room Tip: If you ask for a room closer to the "front desk" area, you'll be just a bit closer to...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank tmajewski
LucasYelapa, Owner at Hotel Lagunita, responded to this review, 29 December 2012
Thanks, Tomasz - we hope to see again soon at Lagunita! Happy holidays from Luke and the Lagunita staff.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Snohomish, WA
Reviewed 2 December 2012

Our first time in Yelapa and it will not be our last. This is not anything like any other "hotel"I've ever been in. The Palapas, or "huts"as some may call them are very rustic and charming, They are very "open air". There is no glass in the window openings but most have either woven grass shutters or some have solid wood shutters.
We stayed in #4 which was right next to the beach. The surf sound was quite loud and the waves crashed only a few dozen feet away. My wife had trouble sleeping with the sound so we would probably get one with the solid wood window shutters away from the surf if we stayed there again.
The food was very good and we sat right on the beach. The drinks were strong and tasty. Overall a good value.

Room Tip: Most rooms away from the actual beach are a tad bit quieter but still have a great view. Rooms are p...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 7traintripper7
I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. The beach front rooms are literally steps away from the ocean and the waves can be quite loud at times. During your next stay we can put you in room #25 (very private, not directly on the beach, but still a great view!) or you can try one of the honeymoon suites which are set back a bit further from the ocean. We hope to see again at Lagunita! Happy holidays!
Reviewed 29 September 2012

gorgeous. relaxing. fun....perfection. clean, charming and perfect. I cannot wait to get back to this Mexican paradise asap. At Hotel Lagunita, everyone was so friendly and the food was fantastic! Next time, i may never leave. seriously. This place is affordable - what a great deal!!i t's a 'best kept secret' for sure. Sleeping so close to the water is amazeballs and we really enjoyed hiking to the waterfall! so perfect, it's just ridiculous. I used to hang out on the Mayan Riviera, but now I'm hooked on Yelapa. I love you Yelapa....and I miss you already. xoxoxo.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank e-the-dj
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed 5 September 2012

This was our 4th time staying in Yelapa, and the 1st time in lagunita . Prior to this we had stayed at Mama Rosa's in town, and Casa Bonita.

We loved Lagunita. The casitas are very basic as others have noted, but that is part of the charm of Yelapa (and please don't expect Hilton style accommodation for $50 a night). The location is fantastic, walk out of you casita onto the beach, the restaurant is excellent with good food and good value for the location. I found the staff all very helpful and friendly, and there were kayaks for use for guests for free.

The only downside was the pool. It is a small pool fed by mountain runoff, but due to very low rainfall this year it had low water level and was cloudy. We had used the pool last year when staying at Casa Bonita and it was really nice when the water level was good.

I also wanted to add a comment to a reviewer who gave this place a 1-star without even visiting because they had a problem contacting the hotel via E-mail. We also encountered problems with their on-line booking site and E-mail, so we - "gasp" - picked up a phone and called! I know we live in the instant gratification internet age, but come on folks, it's not hard to actually talk to someone once in a while.

Room Tip: We had casa 7 facing the beach - by pure luck it was one of the few with an AC, although we didn'...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dave451
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I found Yelapa and Hotel Lagunita in a travel magazine as a place to escape it all. And Yelapa was perfect for that. Luke and his staff are wonderful and provide a beautiful natural setting. I was planning on being there 6 days and if I did nothing but sit on the beach with a beer and a book I would have been very happy. I was lucky to share my time with some other great people I met there. Had a blast exploring the town and playing soccer on the beach and swimming and fishing with my new friends.
It's the best deal you'll ever find for beachfront rooms. I went in August which can be very hot and humid, but afternoon rain cooled off everything. As everyone else says it's not the Ritz but Hotel Lagunita has ten times more charm! Say hi to Charlie and the Pie Lady! I have since recommended it to 2 friends of mine and they both fell in love with the hotel and the people of Yelapa.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank mikealey
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Always a nice treat to get away for the weekend. Hotel Lagunita and Yelapa sure fit the bill.

Living in Vallarta, while paradise most of the time, its always nice to break up your routine and leave town. Yepala and Hotel Lagunita are a perfect blend of tranquility and relaxation.

The cabanas are very rustic, and provide only the basics. But then you do not need much to enjoy the pueblo. Service is very friendly. Hotel food, acceptable.

Go enjoy.

Room Tip: All the cabanas are great. Most with views.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank MPS634fun
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed 5 August 2012 via mobile

Had a great time service was great and food was better. The greatest thing about yelps is that you are away from civilization. Expect a relaxing getaway with a lot of options to do each day. Only bad thing was no AC. I would choose a different time to return if I do decide to return. I normally never choose to hit the same place twice as my motto is "how can you have a favorite place when you have not seen them all." however I may plan another trip here in December for the migration of the whales. Great value and some rooms do have AC so request one of those if you stay.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank CannonK9
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yelapa
Hotelito Mio
Hotelito Mio
#1 of 1 in Cabo Corrientes
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & ...
#14 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Playa Conchas Chinas Hotel
Playa Conchas Chinas Hotel
#98 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort & Spa
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Reso...
#28 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta

Been to Hotel Lagunita? Share your experiences!