“A few tips for visitors to Hotel Lagunita”
Review of Hotel Lagunita

Hotel Lagunita
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Yelapa
“A few tips for visitors to Hotel Lagunita”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

No doubt, Hotel Lagunita provides a unique experience. It's tranquil setting in Yelapa makes for a great getaway and total relaxation. I would definitely return, but there are a few things I wish I'd known ahead of time that might have better prepared me. Of course, mishaps while traveling are part of the adventure. But in the event these tips could better prepare a fellow traveler, I thought I'd share them here:

The rooms are open air through the roof and bathrooms, which is lovely, but be prepared for some night time visitors, such as crabs, which made their way into our bathroom every night and often ended up in the room.

We booked the honeymoon suite, which was described as "being located in the most private area of the hotel." This was not the case. It was positioned directly beside the pool, making it, perhaps the most noisy and least private room. The room I'm describing is room 19. If you are seeking privacy, request a room other than 19.

There is no ATM anywhere in the village. This is crucial information. We had grown accustomed to the easily-accessible ATM machines around Puerto Vallarta and did not carry much cash with us to Yelapa. Perhaps this was a novice move; but if you are reading this and are also a novice traveler to tiny Mexican fishing villages, take plenty of pesos. Luckily Hotel Lagunita's restaurant accepts credit cards, so we were able to eat and drink plenty. And the food was delicious! But we could not snorkel or eat at any of the other locals because we did not have enough cash to last us.

Finally, the water taxi situation. The water taxis are great and truly do run frequently. But I cannot impress enough how unreliable the published schedules are. I booked a return trip from Los Muertos to Yelapa though Water Taxi Jack. Our departing flight left on a Sunday afternoon from PVR. Realizing this was a Sunday in low season, I specifically asked Jack if the taxi would run from Yelapa Sunday morning. He shook my hand, looked me in the eye and said he would indeed return at 8:30 am on Sunday. Come Sunday morning, he no-showed. Our host at Hotel Lagunita called one of the water taxi captains and they had decided to deviate from the schedule printed on the tickets because it was low season and it was rainy. Lucas at Hotel Lagunita called a friend in Yelapa who took us in his boat to Boca de Tomatlan and then in his jeep to the airport. We paid a pretty penny considering we had already booked return sevice for both our water taxi and our land transport, and then had to pay a premium for this last-minute arrangement, but were thankful to reach the airport in time!

So all in all, I would say Yelapa provided a quintessential Mexican vacation experience: beauty, tasty food, proximity to nature, tranquility, unpredictability and adventure.

Room Tip: Room 19 is beside the pool, spacious and has a great porch and view of the water. It does not provi...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Kristin T
HotelLagunita, Gerente at Hotel Lagunita, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thanks a lot for your kindly review and also thank you for your tips. We will take care of this providing more of this information to our guest. Sorry for room #19 this is probably the worst positioned honeymoon room but some people like it, that’s why managers are keeping like that. We will advise our clients next time and again sorry.

Unfortunately the water taxis run by their own, so we can practically can’t do anything. But we do help our guest, making arrangements at last minutes like in your case. We will spoke with the marina guys and do our best to avoid this type of problems for the next time
We expect that your next time in Yelapa will do way better than these.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Reviewed 15 June 2014

At this point, I don't even remember how many times I've stayed at Hotel Lagunita. It is always a very peaceful experience and often an adventure. The rustic feeling, the sounds of the waves all night and the visitors from the jungle are always an excellent experience. As I have said before, Hotel Lagunita is what it is...a relaxing experience in a very special location. Thanks to Eddy for always taking care of my needs and thanks to the restaurant Tres Amigos for always providing excellent service and an excellent dining experience and menu...morning, noon and night. As one most visits there...I never even left the property...everything I needed during this stay was perfectly provided to me.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank KeithMayPV
HotelLagunita, Gerente at Hotel Lagunita, responded to this review, 21 September 2014
As always it is a pleasure to have you with us. We thank you for your honest feedback and we are very happy to continue giving you wonderful stays at Hotel Lagunita

We send you a big hug.
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We had a really wonderful time at Hotel Lagunita. It is rustic, but clean. Hot water for showers and BEAUTIFUL ocean views! The swimming pool looks like a natural pond with large rocks scattered throughout for standing or sitting on. Located directly on the little bay on the south shore of Puerto Vallarta. Yelapa is a small fishing village that reminded me of the little town in the Popeye movie with Robin Williams. There are no roads or cars in this tiny town. You get to Yelapa and the hotel via water taxi. The trip is not cheap, but it is a fun ride. It is more economical to take the water taxi from Boca de Tomatlan (accessible by bus from Old Town PV). The hotel itself is right along the shore of the bay. There are several little cabanas along a stone path. The water taxi drops you off right at the pier at the end of the hotel, so it is nice and close. My family had a wonderful time! We spent time on the sandy beach and in the ocean, the kids LOVED the pool and were in all day. My husband did some fishing from the pier and caught a little fish and made fresh ceviche. The hotel staff that we encountered were courteous, but we really had very little encounter with them, which was nice... we felt like we had the run of the place. We only stayed one night, but I would have liked to stay 2 more. I was able to do some reading on the porch in front of our bungalow facing the ocean. It was very quiet and extremely low key and relaxing! I will definitely go back! We live in Puerto Vallarta, so it was nice to be "tourists" in our own town. I left my cell phone at home so I could truly escape. I would recommend Yelapa and Hotel Lagunita to anyone looking to spend a nice, quiet time on the beach and in the water. If you are coming to Puerto Vallarta for a visit, I would consider spending a couple of days at Hotel Lagunita. You will be glad you did!

Room Tip: The honeymoon suite, #19 overlooks the pool and would be a lovely room to stay in...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

1 Thank CarolineCDM
Thank you for all your wonderful comments. We are pleased you enjoyed your experience at the hotel and we hope to see you soon.

Greetings from your friends at the Hotel Lagunita Yelapa
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed at Hotel Lagunita for the week of May 28 - June 4 not realizing that June 1st was Marine's Day. Our quiet vacation was not so quiet for four out of our 7 night stay.. damn there was some partying going on until late.. 2 a.m. Its a very quiet place otherwise so when there is noise it echoes.. Our fault for not doing the research.. otherwise this place was just what we were looking for.. nothing fancy, right on the beach, fantastic food and service at the hotel restaurant and primo snorkeling right outside our palapa along the rocks. One other thing to note is that during the rainy season (mid June - Sept) the crabs come out and are a bit freaky to deal with for a city-girl... they eat other pests like cockroaches so pick your poison. Also, expresso's at Angelina's Cafe two doors down.. awesome. One other thing.. call to make sure the water taxi is actually running at the time of your arrival to PV. We had to hire a boat at 6pm on Wed. cost us 180$ US to get there. It was part of the adventure but a chunk of change..

Room Tip: Number 6 has an awesome porch and is separated from the beach with a rock wall..
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

2 Thank Kat D
Thanks a lot for your review. So sorry for not obtained a totally relaxing experience but we hope you did enjoy the rest of the nights. About the water taxi there is one latest boat departing from Boca de Tomatlan also in Puerto Vallarta that depart at 6:30pm such a shame that the ¨oficina de enlace¨ in PV didn't inform you properly.
We which to have you with us next time to finally get the fully relaxation service.
Madison, WI
Reviewed 21 May 2014

This hotel is not a 5 star marriott with a swim up bar and turn down service, but who would want that in Yelapa! A small village with no cars, roads in the jungle fits this hotel perfectly. Feel this place is well kept and priced right for the location. You get your own little "Palapa", a pool, the beach, and an amazing view. You are located on the beach but the main village is a 5 minute walk and you can walk up river easily when you need to get to El Manguito's for dinner. If you are going to freak out if you see a lizzard or a bug in your room don't come, but don't com to Yelapa because this beautiful tropical paradise is filled with vibrant life and is so warm all year around many places have no windows or screens. I see this as a huge plus!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank cheesehead571
Thank you very much for your comments and for your wonderful description of our small but beautiful resort.

We fully appreciate your visit and we hope to see you again soon in this your second home.
Fort Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I am submitting this a bit late, as I just joined this site. I made the trip in late Sept/jearly Oct 2011.

Well, I'll start off by saying I read a lot of Trip Advisor's reviews prior to staying here. There were glowing reviews to bad reviews, so I took the bad reviews with a grain of salt and booked 2 and a half weeks. I am used to traveling and staying in budget hotels, so expected a bit more from Hotel Lagunita because of the price. The staff, restaurant, food, and staying beach-side were top rate.

I realize I was staying in the middle of a jungle, and there would be bugs, spiders, critters, etc. so that didn't bother me. There was a mosquito net over the bed and I ensured I had shoes on when I was up. As I stayed in late Sept/early Oct, it was rainy season, hot, and humid. The staff kindly put an extra fan in my room without me asking which was very thoughtful.

I loved sitting out on the small rock veranda right in front of the ocean in the plastic chairs provided. The cloth beach chairs were broken, cloth was rotted, and were laying in the sand beside the hut. One thing I did not like is that anyone could come up (and did) and peek through the slats in the doors as there was a lot of open space. I never felt truly private and dressed/undressed in the bathroom (I was a single female traveler).

The hot water for the shower was hit and miss - had a few cold showers, but wasn't a big deal.

The really bad thing was that after dark, not all of the path is lit up and there were 3 wide steps down to my hut which I had a hard time with. It is pretty treacherous walking in the dark.

Unfortunately, as nice as the staff were, the bottom line is, I don't think I will stay there again.

Room Tip: I can only speak for the hut I stayed in - oceanside was wonderful. The waves lulled me to sleep.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Jan P
HotelLagunita, Gerente at Hotel Lagunita, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Fortunately we have had many advances since 2011. Currently we have some improvements in the rooms as well as room chairs that we provide out of the huts.

Since 2013 we started a task of improving facilities and we plan to be finishing all the work this year.

We really would like to invite you again to visit the hotel even for one night so you can see the change be yourself.

Greetings and thank you for reminding those time that we wanted to avoid from now
Vashon, Washington
Reviewed 5 May 2014

At Hotel Lagunita, you stay in thatched cottages which all face the beach along a cobblestone walkway which stretches from the office to the dock where you will arrive via a water taxi. We enjoyed cottage 19, which faces the pool, which has been designed to incorporate the natural rocks. The cottage has a locking front door; shuttered windows and no screens. There is no safe. The design of the structure allows for refreshing breezes, with windows on all four sides. The floor is tiled and the bathroom is roomy, with an original and fun pebble design on the shower walls. Everything was clean and orderly, although the first night we didn't have pillowcases and there was some variance from day to day in how many towels we got. The mattress was quite firm, which I enjoyed, but the pillows were flat and lacking resilience. The furniture was adequate to our needs. The only thing that bugged us was that it was hard to get the room dark enough for sleep; our solution was to unscrew/cover the lights on the path outside.

This hotel is comparable to the Rockhouse in Negril, Jamaica in that it is provides everything you really need without going crazy on the luxuries, and it is extremely relaxing and close to nature. The main difference is that the Rockhouse has a slightly higher level of maintenance and repair.

The Hotel Lagunita management's warm welcome, helpfulness and friendliness set just the right tone to start us off on a relaxing and enjoyable vacation. We stayed five nights and had started to call the place "home" on our last day, because it felt that way. We were there to relax and get away from the city, so we didn't mind that wifi was not available in our room and only near the office or at the the open air "restaurant" next door, Tres Amigos, which gave us awesome coffee and breakfasts. We had at least one or two bars of cell service anywhere we went on the beach or in Yelapa. We had dinner at a different restaurant in the town of Yelapa each night. Ray's is pretty great; try the coconut butterfly shrimp.

To get to town from the hotel, you walk about ten minutes over a stretch of beach, climb a few flights of stairs and hike up and down some hilly cobbled paths. There are NO CARS! (People walk, ride horses or ATVs.

Sometimes the electricity goes out for a few hours and it's OK!

Nobody bothered us to buy beads, blankets, and trinkets like they do on the beach in Puerto Vallarta. On our last day we hiked up the river to the 40' waterfall, which took me about two hours each way, as we went slowly and stopped to enjoy the butterflies, birds, trees, and funky out of the way places for rent. (there was no cell service at the waterfall).

There are a few other things you can do in Yelapa, like going on boat tours, but the best part is just relaxing and getting to know the people and enjoying being in a place where you can take the time to enjoy being alive. My last memory of the hotel is being entranced by the bright blue, yellow and striped fish swimming around the dock as we waited for the water taxi to whisk us back to Puerto Vallarta. All in all, we truly enjoyed our stay at Hotel Lagunita and recommend it to anyone looking for a similar experience.

Room Tip: No matter which room you get the wifi won't work. Just relax and enjoy being off the grid and ge...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Joanna W
HotelLagunita, Gerente at Hotel Lagunita, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you very much for your kind comments. We hope you come back soon.
We will take your advice to improve our facilities and also to add more clothing to the stock

Best Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yelapa
Hotelito Mio
Hotelito Mio
#1 of 1 in Cabo Corrientes
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & ...
#14 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
Hotel Mousai
Hotel Mousai
#4 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort & Spa
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Reso...
#28 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,486 reviews

Been to Hotel Lagunita? Share your experiences!