“Awesome!”

Cuisines: Mexican, International
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stumbled into Ray's on our first night in Yelapa, and found ourselves going back again and gain. We had the coconut prawns and loved them so much we went inside to compliment the chef, who was Violetta, Ray's wife. We told Ray we wanted to experience true Mexican cuisine, so he encouraged us to come back on Sunday morning for a traditional breakfast called birdia.Well we did, and it was awesome! We were in town more then a week, so we went back the following sunday for more birria. They also made a chicken mole for us another night, which was not on the menu. Wow!
Ray and Violetta showed great hospitality and their food is exceptional.
Thank you so much for a great Yelapa experience, Michael and Peter.

1  Thank Michael L

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Rays place had the best food in town. His salad was to die for. They make their own tortillas. everything i tried on the menu was delicious. you could see and taste the love and attention that went into the food. Thanks Ray for feeding me :) see you soon

1  Thank jeanieinc
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My wife and I have visited Yelapa a couple times during Christmas holidays, but most recently we decided to try a July vacation. Fernando and Kendra (http://miramaryelapa.com/), our wonderful hosts for the 10+ days of our stay, advised us in advance that we would have fairly limited options for dining. Apparently many of the restaurants close their doors for the summer months. Thankfully, this is not the case with Ray’s.

Not only was Ray keeping regular hours during our visit (actually closed on Monday and Tuesday, at the time of this writing [check with him for current hours]), but he had his A-game dialed up.

Here’s a quick run-down:

Passion fruit margaritas - not sure if this is something that happens year-round, but they were available and delicious at the time of our visit. Do it. The wife calls it the best drink in Yelapa.

Snapper - we caught a nice 3 kg fish early one morning, removed the guts, and dropped it off with Ray. In the evening we came by for ceviche and grilled pesto fillets that were off-the-hook (no pun intended). We desperately tried to catch more fish to make this happen again, but unfortunately the conditions were tough.

Most everything else on the menu - during the many evenings of our visit we experimented with fish dishes, chicken fajitas, salads, and even pizza. Everything was above and beyond our expectations (the vegetarian pizza was so good that I even ate the crust. I never eat the crust. To-go pizzas even included cute little cups of parmesan and red pepper).

On a final note, Ray’s prices are very reasonable and his service is impeccable. Although our Spanish is sufficient to order great food and drink, we also appreciated Ray’s English and his patience in hosting, conversation and entertaining. His is a first-class establishment.

Salud to Ray.

1  Thank TKH2001
Reviewed 3 July 2014

My boyfriend and I have walked past Ray's numerous times and never stopped in for a meal, although many of our local friends eat here. Yesterday we decided that we would have dinner at Ray's tonight! It stormed heavily all afternoon and we weren't sure if the rain would stop or if Ray would even be open due to the extreme downpour!! A phone call assured us he was open tonight, so we trekked down for a great dinner. My boyfriend ordered the coconut shrimp, which consisted of huge coconut battered shrimp with a dipping sauce and an unusual but delicious salad which included slices of mango, apple, baby greens, goat cheese, blackberries, currants and chopped nuts ~ very tasty. I ordered the Diabla shrimp and asked for it to be prepared not too spicy. It arrived on a bed of rice, with a generous side of vegetables and the signature delicious salad and a piece of garlic bread !!! It was fabulous and a generous sized serving ~ I could only eat half, but my boyfriend managed to make sure we had no leftovers!!! The freshly made chips and salsa are perfect to my liking and the drinks are strong and delicious!!! I highly suggest you give Ray's a try ~ you'll want to return!! (I saw pizzas being served to a neighboring table and it looked and smelled delicious!!)

1  Thank bohemedream
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My husband and I were in Yelapa a month ago (getting married!) and had the pleasure to meet and dine at Ray's a couple of times. First, the food is delicious and the drinks amazing but besides the tasty food, Ray is a great host. He truly took care of us and treated us like friends the few times we were over. I loved sharing stories of our beloved Mexico with Ray with beautiful guitar music in the background. When I commented on the beautiful music he was playing he gave me his CD. Ray is one of the many reasons we loved loved Yelapa. We will return and visit Ray for sure!

1  Thank ZFlores