“I still have dreams about the meals I've had here!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations, Seating
Dining options: Reservations, Seating
Brisbane, Australia
“I still have dreams about the meals I've had here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2012 via mobile

Although it's been a long time since I've been able to have a meal here (I live in Qld), I simply must pass on my recommendation. I have eaten here 5 or 6 times and EVERY time EVERY single part of the meals has been incredible. Earthy food where even the humblest of ingredients becomes a taste sensation. Treat yourself to three courses, you won't be disappointed. BTW, the desserts are to die for.

1 Thank Purpleswamphen

Sydney, Australia
“A fond farewell to a wonderful restaurant .”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2012 via mobile

We are so sad to farewell one of our all time favourites as Phillip and Barry hang up their aprons. We have so many wonderful memories of great meals over the years particularly through the winter months. The duck, the fish, the beef as well as those fabulous puddings, ice creams and parfaits! One weekend we ate there twice in 3 days, another weekend Blackheath was experiencing a blackout so the kitchen couldn't operate but they managed to fit us in on another night!! All the best to you both for the future, enjoy your retirement, we will miss the "Vulcans Experience".

2 Thank Lynette R
2,765 restaurant reviews
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,800 helpful votes
“An incredibly sad occasion”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012

It was our last lunch at Vulcan's as Phillip Searle is retiring next week on 25th.
Not that he doesn't deserve an alternative life as he has been looking after people like myself for many decades.
While fads may come and go, Phillip Searle's cooking will remain in my memory forever whether I think of his early Adelaide days or Oasis Seros in Centennial Park or his home for the past 20 years in Blackheath.
Each meal is a delight and to be treasured forever.
The choices are limited, only 3 options for entree or main but each is a delight.
I had chosen my selection for the entree too early as the waiter then said "sorry, but this has gone" - his suggestion of the salmon entree sounded just ok but it turned out to be a wonderful dish - the produce is first class.
It was such a contrast to our other entree, the duck sausage - one fresh with a wonderful spice character, the other more filling but full of flavour.
Loved the mains but was more focussed on dessert - this was to be our last taste of the famed chequerboard dessert - can't believe this was our final time.
The bad news though was that the special old "noble" dessert wine kept for a special occasion (and what could be more special than the chequerboard) had turned into a fortified wine.
Barry suggested that I should just dump it but after some 16 years, I couldn't dump an old friend so easily.
A wonderful day and I will always treasure our memories of our visits to Blackheath even though it took us 3 hours to get home through the traffic.
No other restaurant would be worth such an horrendous drive back but if anyone is thinking of the pilgrimage, do it quickly.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank RonWamberal
Blackheath, Australia
“Just fantastic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2012

Have been going here for sixteen years and just love it. The food looks simple but it's not, the complexity of flavours and ingredients makes it very special indeed. Quite small and you need to book ahead.

Visited October 2012
“An Old Favourite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

Some things never change. They just remain constantly good. The dishes which remain Philip's menu always remain up to standard. The new dishes in this case the salmon entree were excellent.

• Visited September 2012