“A relaxing and informative day” 5 of 5 bubbles

Aboriginal Blue Mountains Walkabout
Book In Advance
Book a Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Awarded Australia's best walking experience this wonderful traditional walkabout will enrich your modern life with ancient wisdom and give you a deep connection to country and our culture. Enter our Aboriginal dream time and live for a day our fun, creative and spiritual way of life. Can be easily accessed by train from Sydney or Katoomba (Blue Mountains) as a day trip.
Melbourne, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“A relaxing and informative day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2012

The day spent with Evan was very special in that it gave us an insight into aboriginal culture and history of the area. I have never learnt so much from someone genuinely proud of their roots. I have an overseas visitor and was looking for something other than the usual trip around the Blue Mountains, we found it and it has become the highlight of my friend's trip to Australia and my visit to Sydney.
The day was very well organised in that Evan met us off the train and the day ended at the station in time for the 5pm train back to the city. The walk did involve some steep hills and the caution regarding fitness was well placed but after some reservations we did the trip and found it managable. On enquiry Evan did offer a shorter half day alterative although we chose the full day trip.
If you are looking for something different from the usual day tours in the mountains I would highly recommend this trip as we had a wonderful experience and don't be put off by the the fitness level required as an alternative is available.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Meg B

California
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 141 helpful votes
“Couldn't have done this without Evan!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2012

I have read the *few* negative reviews left about the Blue Mountains Walkabout. I think the poor reviews are due to the reviewer's naievity of what this "walkabout" really entails before they go on it.

First, this is not a "tour" of the Blue mountain area where you'll see popular landmarks such as the Three Sisters rocks. If you want a tour like that, I'd recommend utilizing the various "hop on/hop off" but tours you can sign up for in town.

This "walkabout" is really a strenuous hike though a beautiful region of the Blue Mountains. I personally am not comfortable hiking on my own off the beaten path in this region because it's too easy to get lost in the wilderness. We wouldn't have gone out into the wilderness and seen all of the neat little pockets of wildlife without Evan being our guide.

I have read reviews stating that Evan has a fast pace. This is true. I think a lot of the reasoning for this is because he wants to show the group so many things and has such little time to do it in. I agree that this tour isn't for very small children, the disabled, or elderly because of the amount of mobility required to climb over wet rocks, steep inclines, and slippery brush.

I'd really enjoy it if Evan offered an overnight trip so we could go deeper into the Blue Mountain area. To be honest with you I wouldn't even care if Evan wasn't Aboriginal (even though he is). Evan has a genuine appreciation and reverence for nature and the natural world that is rare to see these days and I appreciate him embedding this appreciation in the people who take his tour.

Next time I visit Australia I'm going to go on this tour again to experience something special with people of different backgrounds and cultures. Because nature is constantly changing, you could go on this tour literally hundreds of times and take something out of it every single time.

Visited December 2011
2 Thank BuddhaInHeels
Perth, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A truly possible life changing experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2012

I highly recommend to spend a day in the nature together with the guide Evan. You will experience something rare and very special. This is a unique chance to go back to the real thing - the wisdom of the nature ad the aboriginal culture. Leave all your judgement at home and be open for another way of seeing the world - and you might get inspired to change...

Good luck Pernille

Visited October 2012
3 Thank Pernille M
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Aboriginal Walkabout”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

The Aboriginal walkabout was definitely one of the best experiences of my life. I learned a lot and I felt the Spirit in the country of beauty rich and rare, Australia.

Didgerigore, Evan!

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Nic_Sydney2012
Boulder, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Walkabout wisdom”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2012

Into the bush walked five people from five cultures (Russia, USA, Argentina, Holland, Australia) to discuss/experience the worldview of the Aboriginal people. Our guide that day, Evan, has created something special here and I will never forget this day. I think we all took away something a bit different from each other, as it should be... we were all strangers and at different points of our life story (song). But thanks to Evan and his gentle calm voice, we all came to a place of sensory and imaginative exploration related to the meaning of life. I'd call that a good day mate!

Visited September 2012