“Avoid it like the plague.”
Review of Imperial Hotel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Inverell
Imperial Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Inverell
Reviewed 5 November 2006

This was the only place left in town due to many people attending a conference which also coincided with the last few days of the week-long Sapphire Festival.

I was pretty happy to have jagged a $25.00 a night room...until I opened my room door.

Well, instead of being one single bed as advised, there were 3. That was OK, however one of them had been slept in and was unmade & dirty. Again that was OK as long as the person I was obviously sharing with was female (like me). I enquired at reception - the hotel bar - as to the other occupant, only to be told there wasn't one, the room simply hadn't been made up for 3 days. Oooohhh!!!

Once again, I could live with that. Back up stairs to the room again and thought it best to close and lock the open window. Oh dear, the lock was painted into an open position, there goes the safety. Hmmm, OK I thought, I'll just have to be really alert while I'm sleeping - I guess you can tell I was pretty desperate for a place to sleep.

Thought I'd go and freshen up before the conference dinner kicked off, only to be greeted by a bathroom worse than most I've been confronted with in 3rd world countries. That was the straw that broke the camels back. There was no way I was staying the night in this dive.

One of our conference speakers had had to fly back to Sydney earlier than expected so I knew his room may now be available, so on a slim chance and an earnest prayer I called his lodging to be informed that I had hit the jackpot. His room was still available and it was all mine. Read about it under 'Blair Athol' Inverell, Australia.

Whatever you do, don't ever find yourself stuck at the Imperial, it really is the scariest dive I've ever had the misfortune to nearly be marooned in.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled on business