“Caution!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Richmond
Christchurch
“Caution!”
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We checked in about 6.30pm after a very long day of traveling from Port McQuarie. It was dark and the motel looked quite presentable from the road, advertising a restaurant. We were advised after booking that the restaurant was closed. We were given a room down the back of the property and it was quiet with no road noise. The room's decor was dated and reasonably expensive for what you got or didn't get. There was a toaster in the room but no plates or cutlery. On request they did supply us with plates, spoons and a knife.There was also a jug but to fill it up you had to use the shower as it would not fit under the basin tap. Superficially the room looked clean but there was soap scum in the shower, mildew on the bathroom window and the bathroom extractor fan had a major build up of grime on its surface. There were cobwebs aplenty. The air conditioner was so noisy it could not be used for long. When I returned the key there was no thank you or have a good day. We couldn't wait to leave.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Margaret M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Central Coast NSW
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Checked in here at night after a long day of business, Man at reception was helpful and friendly and upgraded me to a queen room for no extra cost. Due to rain and exhaustion ordered room service, menu very basic and more cafe like than restaurant. Meal was delivered to room within 20 mins and was very nice. Room was clean, bedding and towels were in good condition and clean.I was at the back of complex and room was quiet. This hotel met my needs and was reasonably priced at $128 for night.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Leonie O
Northants, England
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We stayed here at the end of our Australia trip and it provided a good base for exploring the Blue Mountains where we could relax as well.
We booked a family room. There were two rooms, the first bedroom having three single rooms,the second having the double bed and a kitchen area, with bathroom off.
The kitchen area was good and had a microwave, 2 plate cooker, sink and fridge freezer. You could easily cook a simple meal there.It was clean.
There was no table,but there was a flat surface with two chairs which I suppose you could use.
The main TV was good, but the second was fairly basic and fixed on the wall.
The door between the two rooms didn't fit and the wall between the rooms stopped a couple of feet short of the ceiling.
The heating system worked well,but was very noisy.
We had breakfast each day and it was served differently each day. The first day it was cooked to order and we were served tea and coffee in pots. The second day we were told to make our own tea and coffee and make our own toast, and on the third day we were told to make our own tea and coffee but there was no option to make toast.
The food was cooked to order each day and was very good, but it would have been nice if the service of day one had continued.
The staff were very friendly and the man in reception went out of his way to get my daughter instructions to her friend's housewhich is out in the sticks,even ringing someone up to check he had got it right.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank agentgibbs
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 7 January 2011

I stayed here for one night with my partner and some friends for a family members wedding close by.
I was not expecting 5 or 4 star quality.However i was expecting a clean room. I did not get that.
The room was very dated.
The capet was old and sticky (looked as if it had seen everything)
The bedding was un clean My bed had hair all through the sheets.
Yellow stain on my sheets.
Cockroach infested room.
Dead bugs under the bed.
Bathroom was filthy with bugs every where.
Air con was not working.
Room smelt like a wet dog.
I know it is just a motel but one should expect a level of cleanliness.
I hope i have been abile to help you with your accomadation needs.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank JackcatSydney

Travellers are raving about these Richmond hotels

Canberra
Reviewed 28 November 2010

I picked this hotel as I needed somewhere in the area following a day long business event and couldn't find any other options. You’re not going to get a five star Hilton in the middle of Richmond. That said, I was not disappointed by my choice. The staff were friendly and efficient on arrival. The motel itself is above the average typical Australian motel fare.

The room was large with plenty of space, with a desk, small dining table and chairs, and had a comfortable double bed. The bathroom was huge with a large spa style bath and shower which worked a treat. The nice presentation of the towels, shower gel, shampoo etc showed that this was a motel where the staff cared about the appearance. I was very impressed by the general cleanliness of the room and bathroom itself.

Whilst some of the furnishings are a little dated (but not particularly by Australian motel standards), they are in good condition. The room had a good modern air conditioning unit which was appreciated as it was particularly warm in the evening. In addition to this fox sports and sky news were available along with broadband internet (but didn’t try the latter). The room also had a good quiet fridge along with an ice box to chill beers.

I noticed the hotel had a restaurant but as I had an evening business function I didn’t get to try this.

The hotel is near enough to the town to be convenient but enough of a distance away to enjoy a quiet night's sleep. If I was in the area again and needed somewhere to stay I’d definitely give this place a go.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Gold Coast
Reviewed 22 October 2010

I took a deluxe room and it is very large and well appointed

tea/coffee facilies, fridge, toaster, fast internet, 1 x double, 1 x single bed

Everything worked and was very clean

The super hot shower was tops!

I arrived very late however the manager was very accommodating and helpful

If back in this area would stay again

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Beijing, China
Reviewed 17 March 2010

I stayed at the Best Western Colonial Motel in Richmond for one night this week while travelling between business meetings. The hotel was chosen because of the location, approximately half way between my meetings.

Reservation via telephone and check in were both friendly and efficient. Throughout the stay the staff were very pleasant.

My room was located in the single level block. It was a 1980s style decor and was unrenovated. Containing a double bed and a single bed, it was very basic and not particularly comfortable. The bathroom was small and contained a shower only. An old CRT television was fitted, but television reception was not great. The bed was not very comfortable - the most negative aspect of the room was finding a large cockroach near the kettle in the morning.

A western restaurant is located on the premises, where I enjoyed a good dinner and good service. I also had breakfast in the restaurant the following morning, which was reasonable priced.

Due to the very dated decor/presentation of the guest room and the cockroach in the room, I would try a different hotel next time I travel in the area.

A positive feature is that this hotel does not charge any credit card surcharges. I find it deplorable that hotels can enjoy more benefits of credit card use than most other industries (booking guarantees, pre-authorisations, charging for no-shows, charging for late charges, avoiding large cash transactions) but the industry has been one of the most bullish industries in Australia to introduce credit card surcharges. Well done to the Colonial Motel for not introducing any surcharges.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank OzML
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Mercure Penrith
Hawkesbury Race Club Motel
Hawkesbury Race Club Motel
#1 of 1 in Clarendon
Alexander the Great Motel

Been to Colonial Motel Richmond? Share your experiences!