“Had a good rest”

Colonial Motel Richmond
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I needed accommodation in Richmond so I chose this motel because Best Western is a well-known brand so I did expect that it should have certain standards. I stayed there for 4 nights in late December to early January. Check-in and check-out were quick without any fuss. My room was very spacious. It's old alright, but it's clean and was also cleaned everyday. Amenities in the room were good for the price. They provided free wifi, but the coverage was rather weak in my room so I had to put my laptop near the window to get enough reception. A downside was the air conditioning system. It's old so it's noisy. One of the reading lamps was flickering as well. The location is convenient and it has plenty of parking spaces. Next door is KFC, whilst Maccas and other restaurants are just a bit further. It's also quite near the Richmond train station. There's also a restaurant in the motel itself. I had dinner there once and I think the food was good and the price was reasonable.

I rated the motel 4/5 because it met my needs. It had a good value for money and I had a good rest whilst I was there. If you need to stay in Richmond so somewhere in the vicinity, you should consider staying in this motel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank RYS28

Reviewed 14 January 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights with my family of 5. Had a decent sized family room with kitchen. Kids had 3 single beds in one area then we had a bed in another closed off area where the kitchen was. Bathroom was large, shower had great pressure. Was a bit noisy at night with other guests banging doors. The on site restaurant had great coffee and was quite cheap. Kids liked the play equipment. The only downside was that our family room was upstairs, was a pain lugging all our luggage up the stairs.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank RachfromOz
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I chose this motel because I needed accommodation in Richmond NSW.

The motel is a little faded but was clean and comfortable. I'd rate it as no more than a 3 star establishment.

Staff were friendly and efficient. Everything in my room worked. Facilities were OK although the bed was a bit firm for my liking. There was an excellent, large TV with access to both free to air and Foxtel. The bathroom was clean but very basic. Check in and check out were quick and efficient. Most importantly for my needs, the location on the western fringe of Richmond was perfect.

The tariff was moderate, so overall the value was very good. If you have to stay in the Richmond/Windsor area, this motel is a good choice.

Room Tip: Choose a room well to the back of the motel so you miss the traffic noise from the main road. The mo...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank LongReefHacker
Reviewed 13 May 2013

i didn't have high hopes initially, but they were higher than what was offered. as i always maintain, you have to match your ratings to your expectations. first and foremost, i was not expecting the shangri-la. this is a motel. in richmond. i'm not going there for a holiday. it's effectively somewhere to sleep. already, my barometer is set low. being a "best western" i am somewhat hopeful. but my hopes prove unfounded. this place is dated.

it's your classic motel-designed room, which hasn't been updated in decades. walk through the door to find a tiny side table on one side with tea/coffee facilities and the bathroom door on the other side. there's a double bed, and filling the small space next to it a small two-seater sofa and small round table with a couple of chairs. i think the only new thing in the room was the tele - a 37" plasma mounted to the wall.

i've slept on some hard beds in my time - the greeks seem especially fond of providing them. and for the most part i actually don't mind them. but this mattress was harder than hard. i could have been sleeping on the floor. and the pillow wasn't much better.

but...

on returning to the room on the third and final night, i thought i'd walked into the wrong room - there was a single bed in there as well as the double bed. the sofa was pushed up against the wall at the foot of the single bed, and the table pushed up against the wall under the tele. i don't know why the change, but the room was far too small to have that single bed in it.

they had also swapped my rock-hard bed for a brand new mattress. it was bigger than previous mattress, so made the room feel even more squished together. but what a difference it made to my night's sleep. it was super-comfy.

ultimately, motels like this are tricky to rate. i initially thought of rating it "average", and given the new comfy bed on my last it could well have deserved it. but it feels stuck in a time-warp. so much needs updating, and being a "best western" i think suggests the standard should be higher.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Capt_Funkelicious
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Unfortunately my notebook threw a hissy and I didn't access Trip Advisor, otherwise I would not have stayed. Met at reception with total disinterest and from then onwards it went downhill. Had we not driven for 8 hours and were tired we would have walked out after seeing the room.The rooms were dark, furnishings old and worn, beds that should have been discarded years ago and a television which came out of the ark. I suppose we should be happy that it wasn't in black and white. Not altogether clean and old crockery. Breakfast was very poor , swimming in fat. Best Western should check motels which are listed under their name. we will be more careful in future.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank John P
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Three family members stayed in three rooms in March, all the rooms were over priced for what was delivered. Rooms are dirty, beds are old and you slide to the middle when trying to sleep.
Unable to fill the kettle from the sink without using a glass. Advertised plasma tv did not exist.
This place is supposed to be 4 star, i would rate it below 1.DISAPPOINTED to say the least.

Room Tip: Find another motel
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank john_h255100
Reviewed 10 December 2012

The carpet is as old as the hills and the bed had to be the most uncomfortable I've ever slept on in a motel. The bathroom had a lot of visible mould in it, a frightening amount actually which shows what little pride they have in the place and costs bugger all to fix properly with products like oil of cloves that kills the roots unlike most other cleaning products. Staff were friendly though but for the price, $128 pn I think, it's very poor value and won't stay again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank MickMeMate
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Penrith Valley Inn
#1 of 1 in Clarendon
WSU Village Hawkesbury
WSU Village Hawkesbury
#1 of 1 in Richmond

Been to Colonial Motel Richmond? Share your experiences!