“Apple blossom cottage”

Whispering Pines Chalet
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We rented that 1930's cottage for 5 nights with our daughter.
as it was our first visit to Australia from Shanghai I was a bit worried our reservation would not work out but Maria was very helpful and made me feel safe.
The cottage is very quiet, comfortable, and very low key. It is very close from the hiking trails, and again was always ready to explain us the good places to visit, make dinner reservations on our late arrival, she was just very welcoming and nice.
Bill even gave my daughter an adapter so she could connect her computer to the Australian plugs easily.
Reservations via internet were very easy to do and check out also a breeze.
This area of the Blue Mountains is interesting, quiet but not isolated; we felt safe and cosy.
I do recommend the place without hesitation!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 February 2014

Unfortunately we had a tight schedule and could only stay one night in this lovely cottage. Being Dutch we had to get used to the darkness in the evening. Beds were not great but more than okay. Got scared by the (fake) snakes that the parrots threw on the roof of our cottage.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Bas v
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I am having one of the best weeks of my life at Whispering Pines, up in the the treetop apartment. In my initial email, I made it known that I needed to work uninterrupted (I am a writer) and Bill and Maria bent over backwards to ensure peace, quiet, and no distractions. The setting is glorious, the apartment big and spacious, with lots of character and two gorgeous sitting rooms that catch the sun and the breeze. The kitchenette is everything you need, and the breakfasts in the morning are fabulous. The grounds are glorious to ramble in, and there are mountain walking tracks right at the entrance to the property (just 10 mins and you're standing at beautiful Wentworth Falls). I must say that the person below who has rated this place one star without even staying here has been most unfair and spiteful. I saw with my own eyes how people just wander in, even though it's private property, and treat the place as though it's a public picnic spot. Don't believe the bad reviewers; it's rare to find a place so picturesque, with this much character, and with such caring, invested owners. I'd give this six stars if I could. I hope with all my heart I can come back one day.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Kim W
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We stayed with 2 other couples at Den Fenella Wentworth Falls last weekend. It was fabulous! The house was perfect--- the kitchen was fully equipped with plenty of matching crockery,cutlery,cooking utensils and storage containers. The bedrooms are very spacious with comfortable beds. Den Fenella is perfectly situated close to the many walks available as well as walking distance to the town of Wentworth Falls. Maria and Bill are wonderful hosts! Nothing is a problem! They know the area thoroughly and are only too happy to impart their knowledge.We have previously stayed at 'Cottage on the Mall' Leura and 'Apple Blossom' Wentworth Falls. Both of these are of the same high standard. We will certainly be back. Very highly recommended!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 August 2013

The Whispering Pines Chalet is a perfect place for a relaxing weekend in the Blue Mountains. It's location is incomparable: just over the breath-taking Wentworth Falls. One can stay in the chalet for a week and go to a different walk every day without ever getting into the car.

The town of Wentworth Falls (3 minutes by car, 20 by foot) provides good, simple restaurants and bars while Leura, less than 10 minutes drive, shopping, cafes and fancy restaurants.

The owners, who renovated this beautiful wooden cottage and re-created it's inspiring gardens in over 20 years of continuous work, are warm and charming, excellent advisers on treks, food etc., and always happy to help.

The rooms are not cheap, but worth their price. .

We've returned to the The Whispering Pines Chalet for the 4th time now, sometimes just as a a couple, other times with our daughter and once with a family, taking two suites, and always enjoyed it tremendously. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The Treetop suite is particularly charming, with a full view of all gardens from its balcony. if ex...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My husband and I stayed over the weekend at this lovely cottage. Position was great, just a block from the shops and next to a beautiful park.

We stayed in both nights to take avantage of the open fire, which with a glass of red was just perfect. The kitchen had everthing we needed, there wasn't one thing we looked for that was there.

We found everything very comfortable and will definately be going back with a few friends next time.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We stayed with another couple at Cottage on the Mall in Leura just recently. It was indeed a lovely cottage, well laid out to suit couples or a family, and it was perfectly located just a short walk from the restaurant and shopping strip of Leura.

I can't comment on the booking process because the other couple took care of that.

The heating was superb, with a wood heater as well as other heating (not sure if gas or electric) pumped through ducts all throughout the cottage.

The beds were comfortable and the water-pressure was great. The kitchen provided plenty of cutlery, crockery, pots and pans etc - all you could need. The lounge suite was comfy and the TV reception was good.

Now for the gripes, which are minor in the scheme of things but annoying anyhow:
1) We did a big grocery shop to last us the whole stay and found that we couldn't refrigerate our purchases properly because the fridge shelves had been broken and sticky-taped back together so that they couldn't support any weight.
2) The ensuite bathroom door didn't shut properly. It barely held shut under normal circumstances but as soon as the extraction fan was turned on the door would open every single time and was then impossible to shut.
3) It would have been great for a halloween party because there were cobwebs hanging from the ceiling of every room.
4) Most things were clean enough but I felt that this cottage was due for a good spring-clean, e.g. grubby fingermarks around light-switches, dirty stains on carpet and unclean windows etc

Although I thought the cottage-stay experience could have been improved by rectifying these points above, all in all it was a lovely place to stay and I would certainly recommend it to family and friends.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
#1 of 8 in Wentworth Falls
Valley of the Waters B & B
Valley of the Waters B & B
#2 of 8 in Wentworth Falls

Been to Whispering Pines Chalet? Share your experiences!