“motel and restaurant overpriced”

Beachfront Voyager Motor Inn
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Burnie
Melbourne, Australia
“motel and restaurant overpriced”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Overpriced old rooms. No lifts. No offer to help. I have given this place enough chances. Seems to get enough business from corporates and govt. Should reinvest in cleaning and refurb. Restaurant is even more of an absolute rip off. Staff are pleasant enough however they felt it necessary to yell from the kitchen door, compliments about the food. This was obviously aimed at us as we had complained about the quality and price. The seafood food is out of boxes and sauces from bottles. $17 entrees are quite honestly laughable. One conselation the steak was tender and cooked as requested. The accompanying chips were out of a box. Not even house fries for $36 !!!!!

Room Tip: Choose a differnt motel.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I stayed here for one night my room was at the bottom across from the main street, My room had normal wear and tear which did not bother me, The checkin staff attitude could of been better, The location is great, with the Beach right across the road and had dinner at a fish and chip place across the road which I highly recommend, Then a very loud clunking noise at 4:00a.m. thought it was some truck crash and then the same noise at 5:00a.m. I had then found out by the next day that it was two freight trains going trough at different times..

I would put another star if the checkin staff attitude was friendly... Overall my stay was good just bear in mind that freight trains do go by this Place around 4 meters away on the opposite side facing this place early in the mornings..

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Traveller69692013
Melbourne
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I have absolutely nothing good to say about this place or the ignorant receptionist ..

I, like the previous reviews I've just read, paid for the privilege of the upgraded 'beach front views' room that was supposed to have been updated in decor...pfft! Drab, terrible colours out of the early 80's and glowing, flickering signs outside at night and SHUNTING (I could change the spelling of shunting slightly) trains all night. NO SLEEP! I have to drive a lot and no sleep was not good. I paid $145 a night for this privilege & the woman at the desk the next morning had the audacity to ask me if I slept well & any complaints?

This place should be bull dozed....

Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank SassMelbourne

Travellers are raving about these Burnie hotels

Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Unfortunately not. This is my 3rd stay and this time I have a room looking over the Esplanade. This comes with shunting trains that make the floor vibrate. The room has had a makeover but the bathroom is straight out of the 80's. I take the cover off the bed and see 2 long, dark, curly hairs. Not hard to guess which part of the body they once belonged to. I am not coming back.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Sylvia E
Hobart
Reviewed 14 June 2013

We were "upgraded" to an Ocean View Room with balcony. We were only staying one night. The room looked great.
The first freight train pulled up outside at 3am. Not just pulled up but shunted backwards and forwards for an hour as the freight depot is just down the road. The noise level is unbelievable! No double glazed windows. It wouldn't matter if there was as the whole room shook. The train finally left. We thought we could get a few more hours sleep before checkout. Then the next train arrived at 6am!! Same thing. Honking, shunting back and forward for an hour.
No one would be able to sleep with this level of noise.

The hotel staff know that these rooms have this problem. They "upgraded" us to that room knowing full well what we were going to experience. There was no warning. In fact the receptionist said that she was putting us in that room to avoid any noise from a band in the hotel over the road. Completely deceptive behaviour in our opinion.

So what you have is staff that you cannot trust to advise you of any issues and rooms that you can't sleep in. Why would you stay at all? Find a different hotel is our recommendation.

Room Tip: Under no circumstances should you accept a room on the ocean side of this hotel. Our recommendation...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ramjet308
Mudgee, Australia
Reviewed 19 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed elsewhere before staying here and wished we had of stayed here the whole time. Lovely motel. Clean, comfortable and great location. Restaurant is nice as well. The only thing was the bath in shower seemed a bit stained in a certain spot from people standing there. It wasnt too bad and wouldnt stop me staying there again.

• Stayed May 2013
Launceston, Australia
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Situated directly opposite the Burnie waterfront and on the edge of the CBD The Voyager provided a great place to spend the weekend. There is plenty to do and see (e.g. the local crafts workshop complex and the Hellyers distillary with its tasting and cafe) and other towns are within easy driving distance. Though there is a trainline in close proximity it did not take away from the enjoyment of our room with balcony. The room itself was spacious and clean and staff were friendly and helpful. The Voyager will be our place to stay on our next visit to Burnie.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnie
Comfort Hotel Burnie
Wellers Inn
#4 of 6 in Burnie
Best Western Murchison Lodge Motor Inn
Burnie Ocean View Motel and Holiday Caravan Park

Been to Beachfront Voyager Motor Inn? Share your experiences!