“The secret's out - this place is a hidden jem”
Review of Secret Buddha Cafe

Secret Buddha Cafe
Ranked #24 of 74 Restaurants in Burnie
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 4 January 2014

What a lovely idea for a Christmas present to my husband, myself and my Mother from other family members. The atmosphere is very calming and inviting as well as catering for all weather conditions both inside and out - the interior includes a lounge infront of a heater for the cooler months and lovely outside balcony overlooking the nursery gardens for the warmer sunny days in Burnie. The menu caters for all tastes including vegetarians and is extremely tasty. Personally, I can never go past home-made Pate or relish, and this cafe certainly didn't disappoint, it was delicious and served in a very unique fashion. I can't agree with other reviewers regarding cakes being displayed close to the pay station as each of the platters had their own glass cover over the cakes and muffins or were stored in their own display fridge. As for the lack of toasted sandwiches, I'm not surprised as the style of the cafe didn't strike me as one that would cater to customers wanting that type of food - if that's what they wanted, then they should have visited another type of cafe such as a fast food outlet. As for Scones with jam and cream, they are definitely on the menu, and I can only imagine that they had run out that day, possibly due to popularity. The Secret Buddha is definitely a place that we will be putting on the list of places to take visiting family and friends in the future and I would highly recommend it for those who would just like to relax for an hour or so.

Two very distinctive items on the menu to try would be either the Slow Cooked Texas Pork Sliders or the Chicken & Mushroom Wellington with salad (including Feta Cheese) - absolutely delicious and worth the wait - just thinking about it as I'm writing is making my mouth water!! cause that's what we chose from the chalk board menu.

One other compliment is the way they serve their tea - it comes in a quaint cast iron tea pot sitting on a stand with a tea candle underneath to keep the contents hot as well as an additional flask of hot water to replenish or weaken the tea if it is too strong for some - my Mum loves her tea weak so she was very impressed with the option to add hot water to her cup if the tea was too strong for her taste - thumbs up for taking this into consideration.

Unfortunately if I was to make any criticism it would be the wait between placing your order and being served the meal, it is a bit slow but worth the wait, and besides, it's such a calming atmosphere, that you hardly notice the time going by, and yes, the price of the large muffin is a little exhorbitant, but I guest that makes up for the low cost of the main meals - extremely well priced and within most patrons budget.

Overall, an extremely enjoyable experience and we left the Secret Buddha Cafe as very satisfied customers and wish all staff a very happy new year - many thanks

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Visited cafe for afternoon tea, very limited on choice, cake or a biscuit which was on counter near where you pay. What about hygiene? One of our group asked for scones, jam & cream, another one of us asked for toasted sandwiches to be told that they had neither of these. Surely these are both simple things which you would think any cafe would have available, especially a toasted sandwich. We settled for the overpriced cake which was dry & crumbly. The only good thing going for it is the location which is great.

4  Thank Woo1949
Reviewed 23 October 2013

First time visit to this little cafe nicely set up in the little octagonal building my Dad built about 30 years ago when he developed the nursery beyond The Secret Buddha.
We dropped in on a cold and rainy day and we're immediately warmed by the friendly welcome, interesting decor and wood fired heater.
It was a quiet day and we found the service relaxed and reasonably timely. The coffee was superb and was definitely the best we've had for a very long time in very many cafés. Strong, robust, rich and smooth. Well done, Tommy! We had to have two each as we scoffed the first too quickly.
We chose a date slice and choc swirly biscuit and also wondered about the food being uncovered next to the cash register with plenty of sneezes and coughs around. The date slice was delicious, the biscuit was ordinary.
We'll head back to try lunch in the near future. Lots of vego options so am looking forward to it.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Nice outdoorsy setting amongst palms and ferns. Range of seating offers privacy and indoor/outdoor. Lots of groovy stuff inside cafe to look around at. Coffee was nice. Could be hotter. I must remember to ask for that. Cakes and muffins are set out where customers stand to pay. Wonder about the hygiene? Had breakfast of bacon and beans. This request seemed to throw the waitress a little as the menu item is eggs and beans. I didn't want eggs. I wanted bacon. Anyway my wish was granted. But she struggled with it. Beans were yum. Bacon was average. Not much flavor. A better quality butcher bacon would have made it a good breakfast. One smallish piece of toasted white crusty bread. The lunch time menu looked interesting and I will come back to try this. In fact I wanted an early lunch on this visit. It was just past 11am however as lunch did not start untill 11.30 I was not allowed to order lunch. My breakfast didn't arrive anyway, till sometime after 11.30? Anyway...it is definitely a lovely ambience and a nice place to be. Young staff are pleasant..if somewhat a little vague. It's difficult to pull everything off in a cafe. To get the vibe and feel right, but never lose sight of the fact that the food, coffee and service are the product that keep people coming back over the long term, not just a groovy venue. It is refreshing to see someone having a good crack at creating a nice relaxing cafe that offers something different in Burnie.

Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

Nice hidden away cafe, next to Plants Plus, service tends to be slow and not proactive and food a bit pricey but consistent quality. Popular with the locals.

1  Thank Zulu747