“A hidden gem!”

Ranked #5 of 14 Devonport B&B and Inns
Brisbane, Australia
“A hidden gem!”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stumbled upon this wonderful B&B in search of accommodation after leaving Stanley. We turned up around 3pm to ask if they had availability and Melissa our host, was most welcoming at such a late time. She took the time to show us around and we settled in to our room above the stables. This house is a lovely home and not perfect, but that's it's beauty. It's run by the family who love and are devoted to providing their guests with a unique and lovely stay. They have a dinner evening every weekend for anyone visiting for dinner and the guests staying. The evening we were there, a large family celebrating a b/day were there along with other guests. By the end, we were saying good night to all in the room. Hawley House welcomes pets and we didn't know that when we arrived. We loved the idea that a family who so obviously loves their dogs and other animals are so welcoming to others. I can't say enough about the comfortable feeling and warmth shown by our hosts. Thank you so much for sharing your home with us.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Fiona H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Melbourne
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Hawley House has a fascinating history, quirky rooms, a great garden and a stunning location. A wander done along the beach is a must , wallabies and lovely views abound. It is a really old house, so don't expect a Hilton. It is so much more fun than that.
Don't forget to book in for a yummy dinner, food was fabulous and a great wine list too. The Chapel in the garden and Harry Potter-sequel library must be looked at, we had the upper floor room with the balcony, with a view over the ponds to the water. I recommend that you book it.
It is a delightful place to stay and an easy distance from the ferry terminal.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MelbourneKath
Hobart, Tasmania
Reviewed 2 April 2014

What can I say, we arrived just after 6pm to a very warm welcome and tour of the house. We had a beautiful sea view room upstairs which was large, clean and the view was amazing. We had enough time for a little wander around the front gardens/pond area before coming back for pre dinner drinks in the drawing room.

Tried their own pinot and I as a shiraz drinking was impressed. It was very nice and I would have it again. We then moved into the dining area where we were the only two people there for the evening. We had a lovely corner table with lit candles and a beautiful view out across to the water.

The dinner was superb, I'm a very fussy eater and emailed through my preferences the day before and by either lucky happenstance or design the menu had dishes I love. We both had the entree, a calamari dish and a seafood dumpling. The sauces accompanying were exquisite and it is the best calamari I have ever had. Not even the slightest hint of chewy in the pieces and the dumplings were to die for. We had picked well, I preferred the dumplings and he preferred the calamari but we both loved each other's dish.

We decided based on the entree that we would also order dessert which they accommodated at the last minute. Our mains were superb, I had the salmon and he had the meat. The sauces were again divine. Truly a wonderful dining experience that we would love to repeat sometime in the future.

After dinner we retired to our room and sat watching the sun set and enjoying a bottle of wine before bed.

As I had to get to Burnie for work the next morning they kindly opened for breakfast half an hour early. Again, what a feast and it was "only" a continental breakfast. The fruit bowl, yoghurt, bread etc were all delicious and my eyes were bigger than my belly and I couldn't finish.

If we get the chance we will definitely be going back to Hawley!

Room Tip: A water view room is to die for
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KateFromTassie
Friday Harbor, Washington
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We stumbled upon Hawley House late in the day without a reservation, and from its appearance were sure it would be beyond our budget - but were pleasantly surprised! We were shown to the last room they had, which was a walk back in time - huge bed with tapestry spread, family photos all over the walls, lovely fireplace, french doors to patio - elegant but not fussy. The whole place has an atmosphere of casual elegance, and the charming sisters who run it (and who grew up there!) look as if they just got off their horses...very friendly and down to earth. An added bonus was the option of a gourmet dinner, served in a formal dining room full of art which opened onto the lovely garden - delicious and memorable! And there is a bathtub on the roof, which you must see to believe! We will never forget this place....

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Carol J
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I travel Tasmania as a sales rep and when I head for the NorthWest it is the only place I stay.
Location is stunning, the gardens are sensational and natural. The wildlife thrives throughout the property. Service is fantastic, not overbearing and poncy but genuine, Being a vegan my dietary needs are more complicated than most. Not only did the kitchen oblige, they did it with enthusiasm.
The beach is a few minutes away, shopping centre very close.
The rooms are comfortable and the only problem I encountered was having to leave.
For those who like five star accomodation in sanatised, sterile surrounds,with staff whose smiles are teeth deep, then Hawley is not for you.
It is a wonderful place to stay for those who apreciate a wonderful location, fabulous surrounds and a garden that has an incredible amount of man hours in it's creation and maintenance.
If Hawley cannot please you, then you are truly hard to please.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Terry C
Ramsla
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

On my arrival at Hawley House I was impressed by the outstanding beauty of the garden- and pond system around the house.

The view over the beach nearby is fantastic.

The personal charm of this place is unique and I'd recommend to stay there, at least to enjoy one of their tasty dinners in the cosy atmosphere of the dining room.

Thank you for the wonderful experience. I'd definitely stay here again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Paris, France
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I had a wonderful time at Hawley house, my room had beautiful antiques furniture and I love the style of this historic house. The garden was amazing with ponds and flowers blooming everywhere, I had a great view over a small lake and the ocean from my room. Another highlight of my stay was the dinner in the elegant dining room, it was the best food I had so far in Tasmania! Everything was perfectly cooked and decorated with fresh herbs and flowers from the garden. The service was fantastic, I asked about the things to do around and where to see the penguins and they were very helpful. I stayed for one night only and I wish I stayed longer, this is definitely a great place to relax, enjoy good food and wine!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Aude D
hawleyh, Owner at Hawley House, responded to this review, 18 January 2014
Thankyou for your wonderful review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the idiosyncratic family atmosphere, penguins and heritage house and gardens to the full during your short visit.
We hope to see you again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Devonport
Quality Hotel Gateway
#2 of 14 in Devonport
Lucinda B&B
Lucinda B&B
#1 of 4 in Latrobe

Been to Hawley House? Share your experiences!