“Lovely stay”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Coles Bay
New York City, New York
“Lovely stay”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My husband and I spent 4 nights at Saffire this past May. We had a lovely stay. Below are a list of what we liked and what they could improve.

Likes:

1. Food was really great. Classic French cooking but with local ingredients. We especially enjoyed the variety of local fish and the oysters. Breakfast and dinner are a la carte. Lunch includes a salad buffet as well as a la carte meat dishes.
2. Service in the dining room was very good.
3. Oyster farm tour was awesome.
4. Room was quite luxurious.
5. The Hobart airport lounge

Suggestions

1. Get nespresso machines! Plunger coffee in the room is verey messy.
2. There was a note in the mini-bar that items were for on-site consumption only and that if you didn't leave wrappers evidencing such consumption, you would be charged! Keep in mind the rate is ~1850/night.
3. Drinks menu in dining room was confusing. It listed package included wines but did not separate out the other drinks. The wines in the room was not available in the dining room.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MiffysPillowBook

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My partner surprised me with a weekend away to Saffire where he proposed. I was completely blown away by the entire experience. The view, the staff, the food, the rooms - I couldn't fault it. Thank you so much to the whole team for making our weekend so special. I couldn't recommend this resort highly enough!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jessica B
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Spent 5 nights in January 2014 and it was an amazing getaway experience, from the welcome glass of champagne to the signature experiences everything was perfect!!! The food well that is on another level again. not once in our 5 night stay did any of the meals served were repeated!!!! praise to head chef and all kitchen staff. We have been back a few months now but i still cant forget the wonderful experience.

Thank you Justin and Hugh and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mary M
Sydney
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The whole experience was beautiful. Food was stunning.
The executive chef checked as joked with us constantly so that was great.
Really close great team working at saffire who were fantastic.

Amazing bartender, James who every night made us new and innovative cocktails when we challenged him.

Best weekend I've ever had.

Spa saffire was amazing. Great massage and friendly service.

Stunning rooms - the saffire body wash etc was so nice.
Really thoughtful staff came back after dinner with my favorite tea and treats and candles after someone noticed and made note of it. Which was just gorgeous.

Can't wait to come back.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank DCT_syd
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 June 2014

After getting a lot of grief from friends for taking my pregnant wife with our 8 month old boy to Tassie and spending so much per night Saffire Freycinet definitely proved them wrong. The place is amazing, food ,service and the rest. The fully stocked minibar was like nothing i have ever seen ($400 value every day). the restaurant was top class and the staff were so nice to our little boy making sure he was well fed and looked after. We even asked one of the Dinner staff to look after our boy while we got a massage(cos he was really liked her) and she had to ask her manager and there was no problem. Justin the man in charge looked after us from start to finish and even more. He organised an incredible bottle of wine at our next stop (Henry Jones). The only problem is that once you stay here everywhere else is not good enough. Will definitely go back. Also got picked up from the airport and taken to their private lounge on pickup and arrival. (Sorry for the late review Justin) Joel and Lizzie (may 2013)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Saffire Freycinet would be the best resort we have experienced; from the greeting at the airport (with gift bag of goodies to sustain us on our trip as we choose to drive to the resort), the ever attentive staff, the architecture and stunning location, the rooms with magnificient views - and the food - OMG! Every course at every sitting - delicious - and so well thought out. On top of that, the activities are plentiful if you want them - Wineglass Bay walk and the Oyster Marine Farm are 'must do's'.
Saffire is what I call 'the total package' - perfection all round.

Room Tip: All good rooms - all with views.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Portside000
Sydney
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I have found it very hard to write this review and have been putting it off for a while as our time here was more than perfect and I wanted to write a more than perfect review but honestly, words cannot describe our stay. Saffire Freycinet is beyond words. It is an experience. You need to experience it and once you have, you will want to do it all over again.

We stayed at Saffire Freycinet for our Honeymoon in late March 2014. We were aware when booking Saffire that we were booking a luxury resort but we soon learnt that we did not even know the meaning of the word ‘Luxurious’ prior to our stay.

It was cold and raining when we pulled into the parking lot at Saffire however this did not phase us as we were greeted with umbrella’s and a warm welcome. The initial introduction to Saffire took our breath away, I won’t say anymore as I don’t want to spoil the experience for anyone. It really set the bar high for the rest of our stay and we were not disappointed.

The rooms at Saffire are extremely well appointed. Nothing has been forgotten and if it had I am sure the staff would attend to this immediately. The view from the rooms is hypnotising. The Hazards never looked the same once while we were there and I was surprised each time I looked out the windows. The turn-down service still amazes me, I really liked the relaxation instructions but will not say anymore, so as not to spoil the experience.

The best part about our stay at Saffire would have to be the staff. They were so attentive and friendly. They would always anticipate our every need, even if that need was something we didn’t know was needed. For example, I was reading a book and using my boarding pass as a bookmark. On returning to our room, I noticed that a Saffire bookmark had been placed in my book for me.

As for the food…..all I can say is ‘wow’. Breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner were always so special. I don’t remember ever feeling so full and satisfied. The degustation dinners with matching wines were sensational. Our sommelier, Lynn, was amazing. She really opened our eyes to new flavours and food pairings and was so friendly and bubbly, it felt like eating at a good friends house. Also, if you are after a nightcap, have James make you an Espresso Martini (sorry Lynn, James won this contest).

Dining at Saffire is not just about eating, it is a food experience like no other. We really appreciate that Saffire lets their staff be inventive with the ingredients available, the Chefs are some of the most talented we have come across.

It’s worthwhile partaking in some of the activities offered by Saffire. It is very hard to drag yourself from the beautiful rooms but the activities are not to be missed. We participated in the Oyster Farm (this is a MUST, you will never experience anything like this anywhere else), Schouten Island Tour (if you suffer from seasickness, make sure you take your tablets as it can get very rough), cooking presentation (very informative and you get to eat again!) and we also hired some mountain bikes and explored the beach and bush nearby. Saffire looked after us so well on every one of these activities, even down to providing us with backpacks stocked with food, water and first aid for our mountain biking.

If you are thinking about staying at Saffire and are having even the slightest of doubts, please take my word for it, just make the reservation. You will never regret it and will always remember it.

Saffire holds a very special place in mine and my husband’s hearts and we could not think of a more perfect place to start our married life together.

Room Tip: Every room is great!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,015 reviews
Freycinet Retreat
Freycinet Retreat
#1 of 5 in Coles Bay

Been to Saffire Freycinet? Share your experiences!