“Perfect location and Fantastic food!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coles Bay
Sheoaks Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 5 Coles Bay B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Perfect location and Fantastic food!”
Reviewed 6 April 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Sheoaks. You couldn't ask for a better location - it's a quick ride to Freycinet Park and after a day of hiking, it was relaxing to take a walk out the back deck to a quiet beach and watch the sunset. Just perfect!

Alan and Margaret were gracious hosts - always willing to make a recommendation and point us in the right direction. Margaret is an impressive cook. Some B&B provide skimpy breakfast and you're hungry by 10am. Not here - the breakfast was plenty ample and very tasty. We loved it so much that we stayed in one evening and signed up for a home cooked dinner with our hosts.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Reviewed 5 April 2013 via mobile

Alan and Margaret were fantastic hosts - friendly and very informative. After booking, they sent a Tasmania guide through the post and directions via email. Upon arrival, Alan took us through all the info on Sheoaks and the area.

The B&B was impeccably clean, well appointed, comfortable, with amazing views of Coles Bay? The location was fantastic, with direct beach access and just a few Kms from Coles Bay.

I think the number one thing about Sheoaks was the food - hearty breakfasts, substantial packed lunches, and unbelievable smells from the kitchen that made us regret not eating dinner there.

If I'm ever back in Tasmania, I'll be back at Sheoaks.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2013

My partner and I stayed here in Feb 2013 and almost cannot fault Sheoaks.

The house is excellent and guest's rooms are clean and have very comfy beds. The only issue as others have mentioned is slight flooding from the shower but a well placed bath mat controlled it well enough for us. There are wonderful views out over the bay.

I do not understand the complaints I have read about Alan and Margerat. We found them to be very friendly. Alan has a great, dry sense of humour. Margerat was full of great information and gave us some excellent tips for our ongoing journey to Hobart.

We took the package with all meals included and the food was outstanding. The lovely wine with our meal was an unexpected bonus.

I would also like to thank Margaret for the email she sent me with places to stop at on our drive from Launceston to Coles Bay.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gman2103
Kallern, Switzerland
Reviewed 18 March 2013

We stayed with two more couples at waterline for one week. Great house, perfect view, good infrastructure.

But the "sheoaks couple" that runs their b&b and supposedly looks after the attached selfcatering are the most unfriendly people we have ever met in Australia.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 March 2013

Everything was excellent. Close to the beach. Lovely room with comfortable bed. Tea and coffee facilities with home made cookies and chilled water for hikers. Breakfast was wonderful and we were offered more than we asked for. Hosts were very friendly. Printed off directions for our next destination, suggested places to stop and see along the way and even made some suggestions for the gift I wanted to buy for my niece.
The communal sitting room has a good selection of books and there is a lovely deck to sit and enjoy the views.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2013

My best friend and I travelled to Coles Bay for two nights on our way to Hobart. We were advised we would be unable to have two consecutive nights in Sheoaks and were offered to stay one night at Margaret & Alan's daughter's place up the road. We did not know it was owned by their daughter at that time.

We arrived at Sheoaks after check in time and Alan did greet us at the door. We were shown to our room and left to it. We introduced ourselves to another couple staying there as neither Alan nor Margaret could be bothered. Dinner was delightful and there is no argument with Margaret's cooking however, when both she & Alan sat down to have dinner with the guests, we got the impression we were an inconvenience. It was up to the guests to make conversation. I have now read other reviews which advise Margaret is passionate about Tourism, however, it was not evident that night. I did however note that she was passionate about Pottery! What a pity they could not find it in themselves to enquire of their guests what they would like to see etc whilst in the area, then to perhaps make recommendations of places to see. That to me would be passionate about Tourism!
When we were asked to pre-order breakfast for the next morning, I enquired if I could simply have two boiled eggs in lieu of scrambled or poached, I was informed "it is not on the menu". In all my years of cooking, I could think of nothing easier than two boiled eggs! Anyway, scrambled was ordered. I did however get them to agree to allow me to make my own porridge which took one minute from start to finish, so I did appreciate that although Margaret did not appreciate me being in the kitchen. If looks could kill.......
I am not sure why they allow guests in their "home" if not to be made to feel welcome.
We had the end room which was clean and adequate however, the shower "trickle" was frustrating. We then had to move to the "other" house they recommended over the internet which turns out to be owned by their daughter. However, it smelt as though no one had ever opened a window or door. The beds had a musty odour which was most unpleasant however, the upside was we did not have to sit through another evening meal with "mine hosts". The best thing was the fluffy towels etc, very nice!
We did meet two other lovely couples staying at Sheoaks and whilst this will definitely not be on our list to stay at again, we are very glad we got to see Coles Bay and meet the other guests.

For my money, find somewhere else to stay and be made to feel welcome which is the fundamental focus of running a B & B!

3 Thank dbh_2011
Reviewed 28 February 2013

We stayed with a group of friends for 1 week at waterline, a fantastic house with beautiful views!
But the owners should rethink the arrangement with the "sheoaks couple" that runs their b&b and supposedly looks after the attached selfcatering houses!!
they seem to think of the self catering houses as an "inconvenience"..to say it nice!!

They were the most unfriendly and unhelpfull people we all have ever come accross!! And we all travel a lot!!

Reading through reviews now we found many people with the same experience....
A real shame to confront our visitors from overseas with people this unfriendly and cranky in australia which has such a high reputation of friendly welcomes!

2 Thank S_bg555
#1 of 5 in Coles Bay
Malting Lagoon Guest House
Malting Lagoon Guest House
#3 of 5 in Coles Bay

Been to Sheoaks Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!