“Beautiful Location, Sumptuous Breakfasts, Well Designed Accommodation”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coles Bay
Sheoaks Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 5 Coles Bay B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Beautiful Location, Sumptuous Breakfasts, Well Designed Accommodation”
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

I made a booking on the well designed website for three nights and was able to extend my stay for a further two nights with the hosts. The rate for singles is quite generously adjusted from the double rate, which always impresses me. I am surprised no reviews are from solo travellers so far.

The house has a serene atmosphere, situated above the dunes on Sandpiper Beach and every room has a view of the sea. Embarrassingly, I set off for a brief walk on the beach before sunset and lost my bearings and couldn't find the access point to the path back to Sheoaks. It took me three hours to find my way back to the house along the highway. Take careful note of any markers for the track if you have a poor sense of direction like me, especially as it starts to get dark. Naturally I can't tell you what those markers might be, because I didn't take note of them. The driveway to Sheoaks is nicely marked by a tree full of blue fairy lights. A night on the dunes instead of my comfy room at Sheoaks, was looking likely at one point.

I liked Alan and Margaret, they are helpful and generous hosts and I appreciated their straightforward and unobtrusive presences.

The other guests were nice too. There are three rooms and a shared sitting area with the access to wifi, so that mattered.

The room was comfortable with a big window that opened, a heater to turn off and a comfortable bed with electric blanket to unplug. I like a cool room to sleep in. I imagine a warm stuffiness could easily be arranged for those who prefer it.

As has been remarked by many reviewers, the food is beautifully prepared whether Alan or Margaret is doing the cooking. Great pains have been taken with everything in setting this B&B up, and in making it respectful of its environment and it is all of a piece with its hosts.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Grafton, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Six of us recently stayed at Rumah Kita at Coles Bay. We found this accommodation very well appointed and very comfortable. Lovely cosy fire available which we thoroughly enjoyed, fabulous views and the house was well kept. It was not dirty; I will say the windows were marked with salt spray, but because of its location right on the bay it would be impossible to keep the windows spotless. When the sun shines on the windows yes you can see the salt spray but other wise they are fine. We had a great time at this and the hosts sent us lots of information that helped us enjoy our time there. Don't be put off by the negative review.

Room Tip: Get your groceries in Bicheno as there is a greater variety.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Annette G
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We stayed in the Waterline for a couple of nights recently. It's a lovely place; clean, with a well equipped kitchen and a great outlook.
We had no complaints about Alan and Margaret. They were pleasant and helpful.
Margaret sent us detailed information when we booked, recommending some great things to do and see on our way up the coast. Most helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 27 July 2013

My friend and I have just enjoyed a 3 night stay at Rumah Kita where we grabbed a winter special - a last minute decision. After I’d booked, my friend found a dreadful review on TripAdvisor. As it was too late to cancel we went anyway. Besides, the hosts had already replied to all my questions, e-mailed travel and food shopping info and told us where to pick up a map on the way. Our flight was badly delayed. We rang from Hobart airport to say we’d be late. Not a problem. They would turn on the underfloor heating, leave a light on, the key under the mat and some food in the fridge so we wouldn’t starve. We arrived after 9.00 pm and were delighted to find home-made mushroom soup and heat-in-the-oven rolls for supper, plus muesli, bread, butter, Margaret’s mandarin marmalade and milk for breakfast. All good! When we looked next morning there were a few cobwebs way up in hard to reach spots and windows were splashed with salt spray. Rumah Kita is absolute waterfront. We accepted that as par for the course. It certainly didn’t ruin our holiday. While a uni student I cleaned holiday houses each summer. Windows definitely weren’t cleaned after each stay. For what we paid for Rumah Kita it would have been unreasonable to expect that. Everything else was perfectly clean, there were plenty of nice glasses, crockery and cooking equipment. Our beds were comfortable and the electric blankets worked. The lounge room furniture was new. There was wood for the open fire. Things like washing up and laundry detergent were provided. All we needed was food for the rest of our stay. When we found our Optus mobile didn’t work at Coles Bay, Alan phoned the penguin tours to make a booking for us. We have no complaints about Rumah Kita or Margaret and Alan as hosts and will stay there again. It really was a terrific break. There are always 2 sides to any story. Why did it take the guests from Zurich till July to complain about their February visit if it was that bad?

Room Tip: We stayed at Rumah Kita, not Sheoaks (one of us has had several delightful stays at Sheoaks). Rumah...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Robin B
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We stayed two nights in Rumah Kita, a property managed by the owners of Sheoaks. Despite the property having a magnificent location, the experience was ruined by the uncleanliness of the house and the appallingly rude hosts. It seems the hosts had little concern for this property, and we felt like third rate guests. Our initial email correspondence isolated between very helpful and detailed information and some very curt responses. When we arrived the place was dirty and unkempt. The windows were simply filthy, obscuring the great views, and the house was filled with dust and cobwebs. We felt we had to clean everything before we could use it.

When I complained to Allen (Owner of Sheoak) the next day. He was outright rude and belligerent. He refused to believe that there was anything wrong with the property, and when I suggested that we look at the house together (a 50m walk on the same street) he said he didn't have time. He began ranting at my wife and I as we stood there stunned, saying how hard-working the cleaning woman is and how long he and his wife had been managing properties. It was a shocking experience.

The next day Allan sent me an email to apologise and offer a discount on our rate. I appreciated the gesture, but it did little to wipe out the experience from the previous day.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank MCB188113
Point Lonsdale
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Friends and I stayed in Currawong House recently, a self contained property managed by the Sheoaks owners. It was a beautifully made and cared for A-Frame house, with three lovely bedrooms and a gorgeous looking bathroom. Had no issue whilst we were there - the kitchen and living room both had small gas heaters which did the job and beds had electric blankets to keep the chill away. The kitchen was very spacious and well equipped for long term stays (big stove/oven/fridge/bench etc). I only wish that we could have stayed longer in Coles Bay as the place was simply gorgeous. I would highly recommend staying at Currawong, there is a spacious backyard too, so very family friendly. If the weather is sunny and warm (it wasnt whilst we were there!) there are some lovely spots in the garden to sit and enjoy. The Sheoaks managers were away but posted me a map of Coles Bay and to get there, attractions etc and seemed very helpful. If I ever visit Coles Bay again (and I hope I will), Currawong House will be the place to stay! Thought it was a very good price too.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Northampton, UK
Reviewed 11 April 2013

We stayed here with my brother in law and his wife when we spent a week touring Tasmania in mid March 2013. This is a B&B of the highest standard; purpose designed, immaculately clean, excellent facilities and great food. We had dinner with Margaret and Alan, thoroughly enjoyable with very good local wine. A superb breakfast the next morning set us up for the climb to view wineglass bay. And Alan's a Harper Adams man too, naturally!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
#1 of 2 in Coles Bay
Freycinet Retreat
Freycinet Retreat
#1 of 5 in Coles Bay

Been to Sheoaks Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!