Woodbridge on the Derwent
Junction Motel(New Norfolk)(Great Value!)
US$87
Travelocity
US$72
New Norfolk Apartments(New Norfolk)(Great Value!)
US$113
Orbitz.com
Glen Derwent(New Norfolk)
US$150
Tynwald(New Norfolk)(Great Value!)
US$110
The Shingles Riverside Cottages(New Norfolk)(Great Value!)
US$113
US$107
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Explorers Lodge(New Norfolk)(Great Value!)
US$121
US$107
Priceline
Tynwald Willow Bend Estate(New Norfolk)(Great Value!)
Heimat Chalets(New Norfolk)
TripAdvisor
Old Colony Inn B&B(New Norfolk)
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
  • Free Internet
All reviewsreading roomthe riverthree nightsowners johnthree bridgesdouble glazed windowsattention to detailroad noisecomplimentary portold housesalmonpavilionderwentsuiteluxurysalonballroom
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Nice hotel and friendly staff but extremely overpriced. For $650 per night we expected a lot more. The room was fine but nothing special, TV didn't work, no bath. The booking promised daily afternoon cream tea and a visit to the wine cellar neither of which were provided. Dinner was good but a very poor wine selection. Breakfast was described as "worth waking for" but we could eat little from the sugar-laden continental table. For the price we expected a luxury suite, afternoon tea, and a fully cooked breakfast! Definitely not the standard of other Small Luxury Hotels Of The World we have stayed in. Disappointing value for money.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Clarinshrek
johnTasmania, Owner at Woodbridge on the Derwent, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Clarinshrek
I am so glad that you liked Woodbridge and appreciated our friendly staff, and that you enjoyed the dinners.

Our wine list is small but select, and we try to source fabulous wines and beers, especially Tasmanian beverages, that are not common to every other wine list in the land. My staff tell me that you were impressed that we had preservative-free wines available, and so enjoyed the preservative-free Shiraz that you had each night, that you took the details so that you could source some yourself.

I am sorry that some food disappointed you. Once we were made aware of your very specific dietary requirements, we made every effort to accommodate them. Afternoon cream tea is by definition cakes, scones & jams etc, which did not fit with your dietary exclusion of all carbohydrates and fruits, and I believe staff provided a cheese and nut platter substitute on the first day. On the second day, I understand that you did not return from your excursion to Mt Field National Park until quite late. Afternoon tea, served 3.30-4.30pm, was ready for you in The Pavilion, but guests frequently do not want afternoon tea each day, or miss it because they are off exploring the Valley, so staff did not think anything of it when you did not come to the Pavilion for afternoon tea. However, they would have been happy to prepare it for you on your return had you wished.

The wine cellar was available to be opened at your convenience. I apologise if this was not clearly explained at Checkin. I think that the communication breakdown may have occurred when you arrived at 11.45am when were had you booked for an ETA 3.00pm Checkin., You were looking so cold and wet that some of our staff were called back from lunch break to finish your room to allow you access by 1.30pm. In the rush to get you into your warm room, the usual Checkin procedures may have broken down. I will discuss this shortfall with staff.

The room that you had booked online was our Easy Access room. This room caters to people who need easy access facilities, and our website description explains that it has a wide access shower. I am sorry that you had not realised that the room that you had booked did not have a bath, but certainly, had you said at the time that you particularly wanted a bath, we would have done our best to move you to another room. Similarly any problems with the TV are easily addressed if we are made aware of them.

The rate of $650/double/night included daily breakfast, afternoon tea, a 4 course dinner (+ after-dinner port) in the riverfront Pavilion, full use of all areas of the mansion including the exquisite Ballroom, Reading Room and the Salon with 24 hr complimentary tea, coffee, softdrinks, bowls of fruit, nuts, chocolates, complimentary use of kayaks, bikes, sauna, hot tub, and personal assistance with all planning and reservations for your daily excursions.

I am disappointed that you were disappointed, and I am so disappointed that we were not made aware of these matters at the time, so that we could have addressed them immediately.

Laurelle Grimley

Reviewed 12 June 2013

We stayed for 3 nights at this beautifully restored hotel. John and Laurelle were very friendly and helpful, the food was superb! The TV wouldn't work in the Lounge but it was of no concern as there was so much else to do. This is a brilliant place to stay when visiting MONA, Mt Filed and the nearby midlands.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
john g, Owner at Woodbridge on the Derwent, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2013

Dear Moira W

Oh I know what you mean about the TV in the lounge. I am 'tech- challenged' and I can never work out which button to push, made worse by the fact that John and the younger staff find it all so easy! You will be pleased to know that a new TV system will be installed next season, at which time we will also be making over the Salon and Ballroom.

I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay at Woodbridge and we do hope that we may have the pleasure of your company again soon. We continue to expand our experiences, so there will more 'lots to do' and next season we will offer, among other things, a wonderful new whisky experience.

Reviewed 12 June 2013

We stayed three nights at Woodbridge on the Derwent. The hosts were so welcoming, and full of helpful advice about the area. On our first evening we had dinner there. The food was beautiful, and sitting at the window we had a gorgeous view of the river. It was very romantic, especially since we were there on our wedding anniversary.
We loved the personal touches, such as having our names on the door of our room. We also loved the sauna and spa, especially since no one else was using it at the time!
Just up the road is The Bush Inn, which is one of the oldest pubs in Australia.
An incredible coincidence was that I was looking for some relatives from the First Fleet who were buried nearby, and John directed me to the exact obscure cemetery where they were buried. Very much appreciated! I will definitely come back again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
john g, Owner at Woodbridge on the Derwent, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2013

Dear ElizabethS2

How wonderful that you were able to find your ancestor's gravesite, and delighted that we wer able to help. Being a descendant of the First Fleeters is such a buzz - Makes you 'family'!

New Norfolk is such a significant centre for early Tasmanian and Australian history - it is not well known that our town pre-dates Port Arthur. I have been thinking of creating a special 'history experience' option for our guests, including a visit to 'your' gravesite where rests the first white woman to step ashore in Australia. I would be interested to hear any ideas that you have for this experience.

Thank you for the lovely photos that you posted. Not long after these were taken we had extreme heat and wind .... And the garden 'collapsed' and had to cropped right back!!

So glad that you enjoyed Woodbridge and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 1 April 2013

We have just returned from a 4 night stay at Woodbridge, Beautifully restored retaining all the old world charm together with 5 star accomodation we were not disappointed. Woodbridge is the perfect escape if you are looking to relax, enjoy & luxury accomodation this is definitely the place to go. John,Laurell & staff made our stay both enjoyable and memorable. From the food to the sauna we enjoyed every minute,we will definitley be returning to stay on our next trip to Tasmania.
Rosemary & Andrew.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rosemaryl511

Dear Rosemaryl511

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Woodbridge.

If you loved the old world charm, the luxury and the food at Woodbridge, you will be very well pleased with our plans for next season. Each day, guests will return from their daily explorations to an elegant afternoon cream tea, before visitng the Convict Lockup wine cellar to select wines for dinner. We think that these lazy-hazy afternoons will be just perfect for those seeking relaxation and time together and I will look forward to your critique of this when next you are here.

I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 21 March 2013

My wife and I stayed for three nights at the start of our Tasmanian trip and what a lovely surprise. Great location and a lovely welcome. The room was excellent and the food first class as was the service. The young Italian couple really made the stay with their friendly service and great food.
If we ever make it to Tasmania again (it is a bit out of the way when you live in the UK!) we'll visit again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Trevor R

Dear Trevor R

We certainly hope that we will be able to share Woodbridge with you many times - Folkstone might be on the other side of the world, but, if you think positively, it is only a couple of meals and a few movies away, and this is a great opportunity to catch up on the movies you have missed!!

Seriously though, I am delighted that you so enjoyed everything at Woodbridge during your stay. Woodbridge and its setting on the river are quite magical, isn't it, and I will convey to the staff your compliments about the food and service.