“Probably the most amazing place in Australia, if...”
other traveller has booked this property

Review of Thalia Haven

Prize-winning architects designed this stone and wood house on the clear waters of Great Oyster Bay.
Your own private white sand beach. Just you, the dolphins, and perhaps the occasional penguin. Relax in a nice hot bath outside with the sound of the waves. There's a sauna, too.
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
The whole house is yours: overnights for up to 8 people in 4 bedrooms.
Both the kitchen and dining room open onto the sea.
The kitchen is a cook's dream: double sink, 4 gas burners, and cooking fireplace.
Sleep soundly in king-sized beds with custom-made duvets.
Thalia is made up of separate pavilions around a central courtyard -- each room with ocean views.
The back guest room offers a library of books for you to browse.
The bedroom in the main building opens on the outdoor shower, tub, and wood-fired sauna.
The Green Room looks out onto the courtyard, and has sweeping ocean views to the north.
A hand-made basin in one of the ensuite bathrooms.
The living room looks out on the ocean. Gather around the open fire for a warm evening together.
Candlelight makes dinner a special occasion -- with friends, or just the two of you.
A fire in the living room is cosy and intimate at the end of the day.
Cypresses: a traditional symbol of welcome throughout the Mediterranean, and at Thalia.
The garden is in bloom all year round.
Wow! Turns out the end of the rainbow is on Thalia's beach.
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Excellent - based on 50 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
Aaron C
“Probably the most amazing place in Australia, if not the world. True off-Grid Luxury.”
Reviewed 22 September 2016 for a stay in September 2016

When i say 'off-grid', Thalia actually has all the mod cons you want and need, it's just all run from renewable energy (solar and wind). The only thing it does not have is wifi, but if you are missing wifi then you have completely misinterpreted what Thalia is all about. We did have phone reception to search local wineries.

Thalia is hidden, yet exposed to one of the best views you could ever find. Thalia is a paradox of sorts. It's rustic, beautiful, and very very comfortable. You will not find the marketing "come visit" bling some places include. The instructions to get there are very easy to follow. It's home away from home, and offers unforgiving off-grid luxury in a remote slice of Tassie that cannot be beat. Once on the property you will see a subtle welcome to Thalia sign nestled in the shrubs off track. When you arrive at the house you are blown away by how beautiful Thalia is. Photos do no justice. The stone house is built very well, with double glazed windows and fire places to keep you warm in winter. The house is perfectly placed on the rugged coastline and the kitchen begs to be cooked in (we cooked on both the open fire place in the kitchen and on the gas stove). Thalia is all about spending quality time with friends and family, offering a backdrop that has to be one of the best locations we have ever visited.

I highly recommend Thalia (at the risk of Thalia being so popular i have to book in advance hahaha). Seriously, we loved Thalia so much it's almost a crime to share the location.

Susan, thank you so much for building Thalia and offering it to the world to experience. It's pure magic!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: To many things to list.
Liked least: Having to leave Thalia.
Your age range 25-34
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
22 Sep 2016
Thank you so much, for your visit, for your beautiful review. I'm glad the two of you enjoyed your experience. I'm looking forward to welcoming you back.
TazTravel...
Hobart, Australia
“Tassie meets Tuscany”
Reviewed 28 August 2016 for a stay in August 2016

We stayed here with a group of good friends for a weekend. The house is wonderfully designed with separate bedroom pavilions which are quiet and warm. Shared bathrooms, but not an issue between friends. The main house has a rustic, warm feel. The kitchen area is just spectacular. Opening up the bi-fold timber doors bringing the outdoors in. The raised fire for cooking in the kitchen was such fun. We cooked so many things over the coals, whilst also using the steam oven. Walks, quiet reading, the gentle twittering of the nesting swallows. All these made for a magical escape. No issue with being off the grid. A small problem with the hot water the first day, but sorted out the next day. If you want a private, rustic place where you can relax then this is the place for you.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The location and the kitchen
Liked least: Shared bathrooms and toilets
Travelling group: Friends
Friends getaway People with pets
28 Aug 2016
Thank you for your view – and for your stay. I'm happy that Thalia worked so well for your group. And I'm glad we were able to sort out the problem with the hot water regulator, so far from town and on a weekend! So thank you for letting us know. We can't fix things if we don't know there is an issue! Please come again.
Amanda D
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“The very best of Tassie”
Reviewed 17 August 2016 for a stay in August 2016

My husband and I stayed at Thalia Haven last week on a babymoon from QLD. We chose the property for the opportunity to unwind and were not disappointed. Even before we arrived, Susan had sent us directions, helpful hints about the trip up from Hobart and some suggestions about where to get supplies for our stay. The house/s itself is absolutely breathtaking. We spent our days and nights enjoying the view from the outdoor bath (AMAZING!!!), cooking in the incredibly well stocked kitchen, warming ourselves by the fires and walking along the private beach. If you are looking to get away from it all as a couple or a group, I couldn't recommend it highly enough. We're already counting down until we can share it with our family and friends. PS - the house is off the grid but we didn't have any trouble at all with phone service (Telstra) or running out of power. The solar obviously does a great job.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The outdoor bath and fireplaces
Liked least: Four gates from the main road
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
18 Aug 2016
Thank you for such a lovely review. I'm happy to hear that you had such a relaxing and enjoyable time, and that you didn't have any trouble with our winter weather! I'm also pleased that you experienced how effective an off-grid power system can be. I look forward to welcoming you back :)
Andrew C
Sydney, Australia
“Best in Tasmania ”
Reviewed 12 August 2016 for a stay in August 2016

I was lucky to be able to stay in this most beautiful place. The location is magical as is the accommodation. That bath is just amazing. Loved the fact that Thalia is off grid and it was never a problem. Have already booked to return.

14 Aug 2016
Thank you for your lovely review. I'm glad your group enjoyed Thalia – we are on the coast: with solar panels and a wind generator, our batteries are always ready to power the house! I look forward to welcoming you again this summer.
LC_Perth
Perth, Australia
“Couldn't ask for anything more!!!”
Reviewed 25 July 2016 for a stay in July 2016
person found this review helpful

Susan, thank you for the most wonderful stay!!! The privacy, the views, the bath, the fireplace, the kitchen - WOW!!!!! The aspect pulling up to house is just breathtaking!!! A photographer's delight. We felt like we were living in a castle! A special thank you for your detailed instructions & warm communication leading up to our stay, it was all smooth sailing (and the early check in - AMAZING). We stocked up on yummy provisions from your Launceston recommendations & throughly enjoyed by the fire! We loved reading by the fire, nights of wine and scrabble, and using the superb kitchen to make some fresh bread! And the bath - words cannot explain. We had such beautiful sunny weather but the delight was sitting in the bath watching the moon rise and stars come out over the ocean, and the next evening as a storm rolled in. And the sauna - what a fun surprise!! The stately main fireplace was something to behold, how special to go to sleep with the open fire roaring. The little touches made our stay even better, loved the beautiful lavender soaps and even tracked these down at the Salamanca markets! Loved this slice of heaven, off the grid and amazing privacy - love it's not signposted & hidden away down the long winding driveway. We loved everything and cannot wait to stay again - definitely a luxurious and breathtaking holiday. Will recommend to all. Thanks Susan!!

25 Jul 2016
I am so glad you enjoyed our hidden house! Please come again!
DJDHobart...
Hobart, Australia
“Best break ever!!! Total peace and luxury and the sunsets/sunrises!!!”
Reviewed 25 May 2016 for a stay in November 2015

Thought it about time I reviewed our stay at Thalia. Our stay was a surprise birthday treat for my husband who had reached the ripe old age of sixty, our two adult sons and one partner and my husband's Mother and Father.
When asked if he wanted a party for his birthday, he said he would prefer to spend the money on going away with me and the family.... You should have seen his face when we arrived. Absolutely thrilled to bits! I surprised myself with being able to keep it a secret until we drove up to the house (that he had no idea existed)!
We had the Friday night to ourselves and everyone else arrived on the Saturday morning for a celebration lunch.
We took up all our food for dinner on the Friday and lunch for everyone on the Saturday, Saturday evening and Sunday morning.
One of the big plus's was we were able to take our dogs. Our Alfie had an absolute ball, and so did we knowing he was safe and close but could roam and explore all at the same time....plus....doggie blankets and an open fire, his own room if he wanted and provisions just for him was amazing!! My son's dog also thoroughly enjoyed himself!!
The beach was just superb....not another soul there....all to ourselves!! Just glorious!
The pantry was well stocked (I had taken a lot of my own condiments that I simply didn't need) and the kitchen full of amazing gadgetry (that steam oven...wow!) and quality pots/pans etc....
We had a simple evening meal on the Friday night having bought my husbands favourite bits and bobs...think pork pie, cheeses, pickles, salad etc...
Saturday we cooked steak and corn on the cob on the open kitchen fire and baked potatoes in the oven. Such a fun experience that I've included an open kitchen fire in my plans for my own haven.
Having the huge doors open to the view, experiencing the most amazing sunsets and sunrises, I went totally mad with the camera. The bath, sigh....the bath! Sipping on a Cinzano lying in that bath watching the view, just sublime. The sauna was great too. But I must add that the outdoor shower on the Saturday morning was just exquisite and just a bit naughty, even though no one could see except possibly the whale I watched cruise past.
We left Sunday just not wanting to go! I can't wait to get back. Just what my husband and I needed and the family just loved it.
Susan was wonderful, easy to speak to and gave us great instructions to find this great little secret on our pristine East Coast.
I loved the separate pod-like suites that ensured privacy for everyone, not just those in the main house. That bedroom in the main house is so special. I slept like a baby...well, one that sleeps!
Thank you Thalia Haven....we are already planning another visit. Such a beautiful spot.

Liked best: Everything!!
Liked least: There was nothing I disliked at all...
Travelling group: Extended Family
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
26 May 2016
Thank you for your lovely review! I'm delighted that a cooking fireplace is now in the plans for your dream haven – we love what we cook on it, and having it at kitchen bench height makes them it so useful, even when little ones are helping with dinner :) I'm glad you and your loved ones enjoyed the security and privacy that Thalia affords. Please come again.
astropoei...
Singapore
“Terribly disappointing”
Reviewed 15 May 2016 for a stay in May 2016
people found this review helpful

It was a difficult decision to write this review as I believe the owner Susan to be a warm and nice person but unfortunately, so many aspects of our stay simply did not match up. I think it would be easiest to simply lay down the positives and negatives, and hope it will allow others to make an informed decision should they decide to stay at this place.

Positives
1. Thalia is located at a truly beautiful spot, that offers spectacular views and immense privacy
2. The experience of watching a million stars at night, watching and listening to the breaking waves in front of you and enjoying the breeze as you sit in the outdoor bathtub is really unforgettable
3. For keen photographers, you would be able to capture spectacular photos of this place especially during sunrise and sunset

Negatives
1. Poor communication
While the owner Susan is extremely prompt in her email replies, she did not provide us pre-arrival information (directions to the place, where to find the keys etc.) until I had to email her the morning of our arrival. We would think that such information ought to be given to guests without the guest having to request for it especially if one might not have email access all the time while holidaying. And we would have appreciated if she had at least apologised in her email if it was an oversight on her part regarding this. Instead, the email began with "Your time is fast approaching, so here are the details to find us".
Earlier, during the booking stage, we had communicated to Susan that we would be driving from Saffire Freycinet and would require some assistance with options for dinner. And she mentioned that it was not an issue and she could organise something for us. Thereafter, we did not hear from her until some 3 weeks before our stay, asking us if we would be driving from Hobart so she could provide directions. This shows her total lack of memory on our previous correspondences. And after we mentioned that we will settle dinner on our own, no directions to the place was provided until my email on the day of arrival.
2. Difficult to find property
There are no signs to the property whatsoever and we were told it is exactly 1.8km after Mayfield Jetty Road if you are driving from Swansea. But what if you went out during the day and were returning in a opposite direction? We had gone out during the day and were driving back at dusk and you can imagine how difficult it was to look out for a small fence with no signage and numbers 11460 close to the ground on the gate. It would be much better if there could simply have been a pole with a bigger signage to mark the spot.
3. Could be cleaner
We arrived to find all the sofas and table covered in ash from the fireplace and had to clean them ourselves. Perhaps the owners could have closed the flume to prevent the strong winds from casting ash all over the place.
4. Misleading information on provisions provided
I know many reviewers mention a fully stocked pantry and on the website it states that it is stocked with breakfast provisions. In fact, the website shows a picture of bread, apples and cheese. But NONE of these were provided. The pantry is only stocked with cereals, milo, chocolate powder, and all kinds of condiments and sauces. I am not sure what people define as breakfast provisions but having stayed at many self-contained accommodation, including the excellent Topiary Haven at Launceston during this trip, we expect there to be milk, juices, eggs, breads. To our horror, the fridge was completely empty. There was not even water in the fridge. There was also only one tiny bottle of jam in the pantry, which I am not sure if it would have been enough had there been more than 2 persons staying.And given the extremely remote location of Thalia, it was not easy to go out to stock up on provisions.
5. Poor off-road conditions to the property
The property is 2km away from the main road, a point which the owner had made clear. But what was not clear was that the 2 kms to the property involved driving on gravel, sand, rocks and having to get off the car to open and close 4 gates. For visitors with rental cars, you would be worried about damage to your car. And it was definitely no fun getting off the car 4 times in extremely windy conditions to open and close 4 gates. On the second day of our stay, a tree fell due to the strong winds and blocked the path out. My husband and I had to spend 15 minutes to try to drag the tree to the side of the path so that we could drive out. Had the tree been bigger, it would have been impossible.
6. Strange locking system in the property made worse by the weather
All the doors on the property can only be unlocked and locked on the inside by a single key. This meant that you have to carry the key around to unlock and lock each door and there are many. One would have to check repeatedly if a door was locked or not and use the same key to lock and unlock. Given that Tasmania experienced strong winds during our stay, it meant that while you were waiting for the water in the bathtub to fill, you had to lock the bedroom door that opened to the tub because the winds would blow the door open otherwise (am not sure if it is due to a problem with this particular door). And then, you had to use the key to unlock the door again in order to go out.
Overall, this was a very disappointing stay due to the various difficulties we encountered. And for $700 a night for couples, with no breakfast provisions and given the state of the property, this was very poor value. But the location of the property is superb and I believe the owners can do much more to make it work.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Bathing under the stars
Liked least: Lack of provisions
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
15 May 2016
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I’m sorry you were disappointed by your stay with us! Thalia stands alone on a private peninsula. Many people like this experience of privacy, and find it a welcome change from their usual lives. Thalia is hidden, a secret house that no one knows about. There is no signage – only people who have our directions can find us. That is why we are so precise in communicating how to find the gate, and then the house. We specify that you follow a farm road to the house. In future, I will be more careful to be sure guests understand that this is an unpaved road - gravel, but it won't damage your car. Many guests enjoy the experience of winding their way through fields stocked with cattle, horses and sheep, even though it means these paddocks are separated by gates that guests open and close themselves. I was concerned when you told me you don’t cook, and we discussed options including restaurants in the area, ready-to-eat meals (to be served with rice, which we provide as part of our pantry), and choices from Saffire’s kitchen. I understand your choice to decline these options. But not cooking makes a stay at Thalia challenging! In future, I will be more careful in explaining that self-contained is not bed-and-breakfast: guests at Thalia cook for themselves for their entire stay and bring all their own provisions. We help by providing a pantry of essentials (flour, sugar, spices, olive oil, vinegar, teas and coffees) to support your menu. In fact, that is why I asked if you were driving to Saffire from Hobart: I wanted to offer a list of places to buy the most delicious groceries! Thalia is in the cleanest part of the world, so we do not supply bottled water: instead, we use rainwater, the cleanest water known (we run it through an ultra-violet filter to eliminate concerns from guests who are not used to rainwater). Thalia is extremely private, which is why we can offer an outdoor bath tub: no one can see you! I was surprised that you thought you needed to lock and unlock doors every time you used them: I’m sorry that you didn’t luxuriate in Thalia’s privacy. It sounds like you had a windy time! While that might be expected in a coastal location in the Roaring Forties, I wish you had contacted our manager: as noted in our emails and in the house manual, she lives 5 minutes away, and she would have been handy to move the fallen tree! Thank you also for noting that some ash blew into the house during that wind. Regrettably, that is a side effect of a working fireplace. We clean out the fireplace after every visit, and I have asked our manager to perform an additional last-minute sweep if guests are due to arrive on a windy day. Regarding communication: I sent you directions 3 weeks prior to your arrival, and again on the day of your visit, in addition to multiple communications about food during your stay. In future I will be more proactive to be sure guests have received these details and brought them along on their travels. I am sorry that although we also spoke and emailed during your stay, you didn’t tell me about the difficulties you were having. Had I known, I might have figured some way to help! Thank you again for choosing us for part of your stay in Tasmania. Your experience has been helpful in changing our procedures for future guests.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing
;