Anchor Wheel Motel
US$83
  • Breakfast included
US$164
  • Pool
Wintersun Gardens Motel(Bicheno)(Great Value!)
US$81
Agoda.com
Beachfront Bicheno(Bicheno)(Great Value!)
US$156
US$119
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
All reviewscontinental breakfastbay windowlovely ladyincluded cerealsmall fridgerecommend staying herebed was comfortablefree wifinew ownerstea coffeefor salelovely hostslady at receptioncentre of townstay there againlong weekendgreat value for money
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 January 2013 via mobile

A good option if looking for budget style accomodation. Jan is very friendly and welcoming. Our room was okay and clean but very dated. The mattress was very soft and in need of replacing. Free WIFI but connection to our iPod, iPhone and Mac was very spotty. Despite these criticisms you will be hard pressed to find better value in St Helens.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank callmerick
Reviewed 11 January 2013

I'm a big fan of Tripadvisor and use it religiously. However would have to say this is one time when the reviews didn't really match what I expected............which was maybe too much. I'll agree the owner Jan was just lovely, helpful and friendly. And I guess this is a case of "you get what you pay for", however I was expecting the room, and bathroom to be a tad more modern, but they are both waaay past their used by dates, and both badly need a reno. The tiles in the shower were cracked, the flush didn't work properly on the toilet, we had to flush twice each time. The light in the bedroom kept flickering, and as it was incredibly hot whilst we were there, the small pedestal fan was pretty inadequate. So I'd have to say in summary, if you want a cheap place to lay your head for a night, yes this is fine. But if you're staying a few nights and want a bit of comfort, then maybe not.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sally S
Reviewed 10 December 2012

I can only reiterate everything that has been stated below. A great find! Jan is a hoot, a gem and we too felt like we were ripping her off! We didn't eat here we went to the pub in the paddock a little drive away but had a brilliant stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 December 2012

If, as previous reviewers have said, this motel is in a time warp, then take me back to that time.
We arrived in late afternoon and sat in our little bay window drinking in the sunshine and drinking tea. This was after being greeted in a most friendly way by Jan who confirmed that the quoted price of $70 was real and did include breakfast and free use of her internet!
We ate very well in the restaurant - cooked by Jan, and served by a very gracious young lady. How Jan runs the motel, prepares the breakfast trays and then cooks in the restaurant I do not know, and I am sure she will not mind me saying that she is not a young lady.
Reviewers have pointed to some shortcomings, but I was in such a daze with it all I didn't notice any.
Well done Jan and thank you.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cavan R
Reviewed 24 November 2012

As many others have said the place is an echo of the 70's and the rooms are basic. They are clean and quiet however and there is wifi connection to each room. Jan, the owner, and her staff are very pleasant and helpful and I would certainly return when next in St Helens.
There is a restaurant attached to the motel and it has a good menu and very well priced. I did find that the night Jan was cooking, the fish was better prepared, but as with the motel I would return. Unlike a previous reviewer I did not find the menu too limited and there were many options apart from fish.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple