“Delicious pancakes”

Ranked #3 of 3 Dessert in St Marys
Price range: US$7 - US$24
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: CASH ONLY. Bookings are essential for larger groups. Opening hours during winter are different than summer opening hours. Please call for any further questions and bookings.
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We called in here on route from Freycinet to Launceston and were delighted to have found it - the pancakes were delicious and very filling. Jonathon also really appreciated their quirky sense of humour with some of the signs around.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Stop at the Mt Elephant Pancakes for a treat of icecream and fudge. This little shop at St Mary's should not be missed. Staff are friendly and helpful. We really enjoyed their icecream.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Having heard so many good comments about this place we decided to try it out for ourselves.

Maybe my expectations were too high as I must say I was disappointed with the food on offer.

Three of us called in for lunch - one had a chicken & mushroom pancake which was fine.

Two of us chose the soup of the day (it was a cold day). The soup was "fresh vegetable in chicken stock" but it was the most tasteless soup I have ever had. I could not even finish it.
As we were still hungry we had dessert pancakes & they were good but nothing to rave about.

We travel to the East Coast regularly but I would not go out of my way to visit this place again.

3  Thank elainejane
Reviewed 25 September 2013

My husband has been to Elephant Pancakes a few times before and had talked up their food and so I was looking forward to my meal there because I love eating hearty, hot pancakes. Unfortunately, I was disappointed.

It took a while as we wended our way up and around the pass. That in itself was an experience. Not something I would like to do on a dark and stormy night!

I guess my definition of pancakes and their definition of pancakes are different. They are crepes people - not pancakes!

I had an apple, blueberry and banana 'pancake'. It was okay. The filling was lacking somewhat in taste. It probably would have been better if the blueberries were warmed through a bit. It was not a filling meal. Because the filling was wrapped in a crepe the meal got cold quite quickly. I really had trouble enjoying it. I also had a Hot Chocolate and it was not hot and not particularly chocolatey. Hubby, however, thoroughly enjoyed his savoury crepe and he said that his coffee was okay.

However, the saving grace of this restaurant was the ambiance and the elephant theme. I did love that. I enjoyed the signs around the place and the various notes about feeding children to the elephants - amusing!

The restaurant has been there for years, so expected it to be older looking and it was but not in a bad way. It had a quirky ambiance that I enjoyed. It is a lovely place to stop and relax for a while. Remember to take CASH as they do not have EFTPOS. Thankfully hubby knew this and was prepared.

If you love pancakes you might be disappointed. If you are going there to experience this iconic Tasmanian stopover then you will enjoy it. I think it is a place you try once and then move on although my husband disagrees with me :-)

Reviewed 19 September 2013

We decided to give 'Mt. Elephant Pancakes' another chance after having been there some years back on our way to the East Coast. Nothing has changed however... Very thin pancakes very overpriced. Coffee was terrible, the interior looked tired, and it would have been nice if the music was along the theme of the place. Judging by their written comments everywhere, including the menu, they must have had some bad experience with children on their premises. How about creating a little kids play-corner?! All in all the place didn't come across as very welcoming and there was certainly no value for money here. What a shame - the place has such potential!

4  Thank southofoz