“Best steak we ever ate”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Melbourne
“Best steak we ever ate”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We certainly enjoyed the quirky and knowledgeable service, but the standout raison d'être was certainly the Cape Grim steak. While we found the entrees and dessert to be nice, the steak was on a higher plane. Go there! Eat steak!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Baffenbear

Rosebery, Australia
“who would'ave thunk it?”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Behind that unassuming facade lurks a modern, elegant and trendy restaurant which could be right at home among fine dining restaurants in big cities. Thankfully - they've chosen to spoil their customers in this idyllic fishing village of Stanley!
Using best produce Tassie can offer, Cape Grim Beef, Lobster, fresh ingredients from local growers, etc, etc ..... letting the chef be as creative as possible, it's simply amazing. We had heard the rumours, now we were instantly smitten on our first visit!
Stuffed mushrooms & roasted pork ribs with some asian style dipping sauces for starters - wow! Melt-in-your-mouth everything. Flavour explosion x 100.... so good!
Mains, I could't go past slow & long roasted Cape Grim Beef ribs, my partner chose the chicken breast with seafood (massaged calamari) sauce. Massaged calamari? yep - how can calamari taste so good and feel like you're gently melting a marshmallow in your mouth? It's a secret. How do the beef ribs get so soft & succulent full of flavour? Another secret! I love it!!
We'll be coming here so often, hoping the owner is going to establish a frequent eaters reward scheme (if only!). The portions are huge, standard menu is very good - but the specials menu seems to have even more dishes on offer.
The whole restaurant is laid out roomy & very comfortably with great atmosphere! Friendly waitresses, unhurried and attentive service - Xanders ticks all the right boxes.
Tassie - Stanley - Xanders - Tassie - Xanders - Stanley - Tassie - Stanley - Xanders.
Why would you want to go elsewhere?

1 Thank 249Chris
“Perfection every time - what more can I say!?”
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

How can there be a single restaurant that you rate as 5/5 every single time you visit it? Especially when you are lucky enough to visit it frequently!?We've been to beautiful restaurants Aus wide, yet nothing could possibly beat this amazing Tassie gem that somehow manage to dish up perfection each and every time (in terms of produce, innovation, amazing food and top class service). We are very lucky locals who have the opportunity to dine at Brasserie at Xander's regularly, and anyone that knows us has heard about it! Recently we had 15 family members stay in and around Stanley, and of course we were keen to show off our fave restaurant. Everyone had extremely high expectations and we were so so happy to hear all the sounds of approval and contentment at the table. Brasserie at Xander's did not disappoint (once again) and stories of delicious food and exceptional staff are being spread all over Northern Tassie and Victoria as we speak. Top effort Rob, Barb and the best ever team, we are so thankful.

1 Thank Skatey82
Tasmania, Australia
“Beautiful food”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Upon the recommendation of our accomodation provider, we had tea here and thoroughly enjoyed our meal. The restaurant has a great decor, welcoming staff, great menu with a good choice of specials. If your table is unable to view the specials board, an electronic tablet is provided so you can easily ponder your choices. We started with their flat bread with fig and pear - delicious. My husband had the 600g rib eye fillet - it was cooked to perfection and he really enjoyed it - it was fat, moist and delicious. I chose the simpler weiner schnitzel - not having had a nice one for years - it was tasty, tender and delicious and I particuarly enjoyed the lemon flavouring. My husband had a decadent chocolate/icecream with raspberry mixture (cannot remember the name) for sweets, and it was a generous serving. All in all, I thought it was a great value meal, and not to be missed if visiting Circular Head. We will be back!

2 Thank Penry62
Melbourne, Australia
“Even Better Than Expected”
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

I had heard that this was a wonderful restaurant. Went with a large group, 12 adults and 3 children, for dinner.
Everything was amazing, generous in every way, from efficient, friendly staff, generous portions of beautiful food, lots of lovely vegetables, to a lovely, comfortable atmosphere, (i.e. not noisy). The owner made you feel like a very special and warmly welcome guest. He was passionate about the food and very helpful in every way.
For entree we had a seafood cocktail presented in a modern way and delicious pork belly with amazing crackling? A great start, then my husband had a fillet steak with mushroom sauce, which he described as the best he has ever eaten, I had a seafood plate which was cooked and presented beautifully with generous portions of fish served with the best tartare sauce I have ever had.
What really impressed me most was the way they looked after the children, with food especially designed for them and then a great ice-cream sundae, again beautifully presented, to finish.
Everyone left very satisfied. I wouldn't hesitate to highly recommend this place.

Visited June 2014