“Closed :(” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Highfield Historic Site

Highfield Historic Site
Ranked #2 of 14 things to do in Stanley
More attraction details
Owner description: Highfield Historic Site is an 1830's farm complex built by convict labor. The Van Diemen's Land Company chose to settle in the area to establish a large scale sheep grazing property. The site is open to the public and interprets the conflicts that arose with the Company's men and the Aboriginal people. The house and outbuildings are being restored by the Tasmanian Parks and Wildlife Service as the property had fallen into disrepair. The site is open daily from 1 September - 31 May, open weekdays from 1 June - 31 August
Adelaide, Australia
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Closed :(”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

The Historic site was closed to winter weekend explorers. We were disappointed as we would have loved to see more, but the views from the outside were very tempting and we will be back again in summer to get to do more of the things we missed out on because of winter closing.

Stokers Siding, Australia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Amazing step back in time.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

It was amazing to be able to walk through such a grand estate and see how they would've lived. Such a beautiful place that's been (and is still being) looked after so well. The $12 (from memory) entrance fee was well worth paying, especially knowing the money's going to such a great cause - its further restoration.
Hubby and I disliked nothing about this visit - loved it all...and the gorgeous views topped it all off beautifully. :)

Brisbane, Australia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

What an insight to a life lived in what would have been such a remote and harsh environment in the early 1800s. Well restored house and worth the visit that's for sure.

Brisbane Oz
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 171 helpful votes
“An unexpected find in Stanley”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

My parents had visited Stanley some years ago but hadn't mentioned Highfield at all. I saw the big house on top of the hill when we arrived and thought it was a grand hotel up there. We did a drive up to have a quick look and then I went and dropped off my husband for him to go fishing (he didn't catch anything). Delighted to be by myself and take photos at my leisure I first went to the Convict Barrack Ruins where indeed I did take some great shots. Off then in search of afternoon tea I went into Highfield and discovered to my absolute joy a monument to Stanley's history!

The lady on duty was a Parks and Wildlife Services person and very friendly and informative. I got my cuppa from a machine in the front office for a small charge, I paid my $12 entry and boy oh boy did I get my monies worth! Being by myself was awesome, I completely read the who's who of Highfield wall, a kind of family tree come employee record of Highfield and the Van Dieman's Land Company. I must note here that it is interesting to later on visit the cemetery and museum in town and to connect all the dots to make the bigger picture.

The house is magnificent, I found it to have a very real feel as the restoration has been done with much respect to the original house. Take note of the original linoleum at the edge of the hallway leading to the kitchen. The kitchen is an absolute delight set up with period pieces and with a hob stove/oven. One of the cleverest ideas was the dining table "cloth" which had all manner of conversation pieces and interesting snippets plus a full table setting of blue willow tableware printed onto it. Playing in the background was dining table chatter making a very realistic situation.
The outbuildings are also extremely interesting particularly the Chapel which has a classroom upstairs. The grounds are beautiful and of course the view of the Nut is the best in Stanley!
You are allowed to take photos.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank oztripperz
Brisbane, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Another tourist place not open for tourists”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Obviously winter tourists just don't matter to many Tasmanian businesses. Came to Stanley to go up the nut and visit this site. Chair lift on the nut CLOSED!! That's okay can still walk up...because we can ( sorry for those that can't). Walked to the highfield site from caravan park and it's CLOSED!!! on weekends . They had a sign on the road telling us it was 1.5klm to get there..why not put opening hours up as well, especially when the opening hours don't make sense. This is a long weekend and nearly everything in Stanley is closed and half if it's for sale..not surprised. Sick of hearing how hard it is to make a living here....wake up!!!! We'll be sticking to the natural attractions....we know we won't be disappointed.

2 Thank Tanya C